Notices

Another Victory

Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Victory

My last drink was on October 1, 2016. I want it to be my last ever, and I am working toward that goal.

I was in the midst of a newish relationship at the time. We love each other and plan to be married in November.

This good woman had a business trip for almost the last week. I've known it was coming all along. In the back of my mind, the dirty lying AV, or devil, or my weak side had been whispering to me...

You can pull one for old time's sake. Think how great that first one would be. No one would be the wiser. Just call and say good night, then pour it on. You've done almost nine months. You've PROVEN you can do it! Just have a good time this once, and then it's back to the wagon.

The kind of lies that had me betray my own self in the past.

I had it in my mind all along. I kind of knew that I wouldn't actually do it. I mean, life has been so good! But it was there. Needling me in the back of my mind.

Happy to report that I did not do it. Not even when some emotionally distressing news came in over the weekend. I was down, way down, and I needed my partner with me. But I pulled through.

One more battle won. It was tough for a while there, but I drank my herbal tea, I went to the gym, I watched the sun go down over the ocean. I didn't exactly sleep well, but I rested and I pulled through with flying colors.

My nine month anniversary is less than a week away. I'm still struggling to learn to live like a sober person. You don't eradicate decades of near constant drunkenness overnight. But I'm doing well, much better than when I was drunk every night. MUCH, MUCH better! Physically, mentally, financially, emotionally.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

On top of that, I turn fifty six tomorrow. I never thought that I would make it this far, and I might not have if I had continued to drink to excess every night. I have so much to be thankful for.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 months livinginhope 🎉🎉🎉 and for pulling through 👌 and of course Happy Birthday 🎁 x
Old 06-28-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by livinginhope View Post

Happy to report that I did not do it. Not even when some emotionally distressing news came in over the weekend. I was down, way down, and I needed my partner with me. But I pulled through.

But I'm doing well, much better than when I was drunk every night. MUCH, MUCH better! Physically, mentally, financially, emotionally.
Way to friggin' go!

Totally relate to what you went through and the positiveness of sobriety!

Rock on!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I loved this post! Awesome job on your 9 months sober that's around the corner. That's incredible. AV shouts at me when my partner isn't around too. He'll be out on Saturday night and I'm already coming up with a plan of what to do with my time. I know I won't drink but the itch to cure the habit is still there, you know?

Nice job!!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Happy Birthday tomorrow! And congrats on nine months sober!! Sounds like your sobriety is solid!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by livinginhope View Post
I am working toward that goal.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad things are going well for you.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations, livinginhope! Not just on the 9 months but on how you fought that demon voice inside all our heads and won. Happy birthday as well!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you stayed true to who you want to be livinginhope

D