Notices

Please help

Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help

Hello, I am a 22 year old girl. I started drinking nightly 6-7 months ago. It started out with a beer or two a night. I would drink at night to help me sleep. It has gotten out of hand. Last night I woke up in the emergency room. I had been found by my mother who could not wake me up. I was unconscious and at the hospital they told me my bac was 0.32. I've made the choice to never drink again. I never want to deal with anything like this again. Apart of me is afraid to quit drinking because of the withdrawal and also how it can effect my sleep. On a regular night I'll have a beer or two and a few swigs of vodka in between. I'm scared if I will have bad withdrawal. If anyone could give me any advice I would greatly appreaciate it.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will affect your sleep for a short period of time, but that is a very small inconvenience compared to what continuing to drink in this way can potentially do.

Many alcoholics go on like this for a very long time and hit multiple "bottoms" before they decide to quit. You don't have to do that.

0.32 that is lethal....

Don't be afraid to try AA. It is hard to meet people that do not drink when you are the age that you are. That can easily cause you to either isolate yourself or give in and drink just to fit in. AA people will accept you and listen to you.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Anya. How scary that you ended up in the ER! It sounds like you might need to speak with a doctor who can definitely help with withdrawals.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! The best way to be safe and comfortable during withdrawal is to ask your doctor for help. Doctors (in the US) will often prescribe a few days of a benzo to keep the anxiety at bay and reduce the risk of seizures and high blood pressure.

Withdrawal usually lasts a few days, 3 - 5 days on average, but the w/d anxiety and racing heart rate often sends people back to the bottle.

Once you're physically detoxed, I suggest you come up with a sobriety plan. It's best to have a plan to avoid drinking. Early sobriety can be a rough ride, so plan for that and do not drink! It will get better, I promise.

Your sleep will get better, the longer you're sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Anya; so very glad you found us.

Did the medical staff at the ER give you any advice about what to expect during withdrawals? I would suggest giving your doctor a call or calling back to the ER to discuss what you should look for the next few days.

Your doctor may also prescribe some meds that could make the next several days easier for you.

Withdrawals can be dangerous. Please return to the ER if you are in any way at all concerned by your symptoms.

I would also suggest that your Mom or another responsible adult stay with you to monitor your progress.

Again, welcome, Anya; you will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you found us, Anya. Hugs.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by anya805 View Post
I was unconscious and at the hospital they told me my bac was 0.32. I've made the choice to never drink again.
Wise choice. Don't let fear of withdrawals change your mind. Don't let sleeplessness for little while change your mind.

When I was 18 (drinking at 18 was legal in 1974) I got severely intoxicated, passed out, and began vomiting while unconscious. My roommate, saved me from choking to death. Don't know what my BAC was, but the next day I felt like death from alcohol poisoning.

Any sane person would have quit and never drank again. But not me. I drank again. Drank for 35 more years. And reached that same level of intoxication many, many times. I'm an alcoholic.

Don't wait 35 years. Keep your promise to never drink again. Ignore the voice of your addiction that will tell you that you can control it.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Anya 💜 Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 06-27-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Listen to all these wise people.
They have the wisdom. You have the youth.
Listen. Listen. Listen. And listen again.

Give up this life style while you are young, wish so much that I had and I bet I speak for so many other SR's.

SB. X
Old 06-27-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

What was your BAC when the hospital released you? Did you drink after you returned from the hospital? Did the ER staff talk with you about drinking again?

If you were released last night, have you had a drink today?

Only a medical professional can help you with withdrawals at this point. No one can predict what will happen during a withdrawal.

I suggest not drinking any more alcohol.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Anya, I'm so glad that you were ok this time.

I wish I had come to the same realization that you have 25 years ago. I haven't always drunk heavily but when I do I really do. Giving up at your age would have saved me endless grief and pain.

Your sleep may be disrupted for a few nights, but it's worth it. After five days I was not only going to sleep unaided, I was (and am), having the best sleep that I have had for years. Listen to the advice above, a doctor can help you withdraw safely and make it easier for you. Surround yourself with support, enlist your mother to help (the cat is out of the bag now and believe me, she loves you and wants to help).

I know the thought of never drinking again may be scary but believe me, there are many people on this site who wish they could go back to your age and decide never to pick up a drink again.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Sending big hugs.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Anya!!