Notices

I hope today will be my last Day 1

Old 06-25-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hope today will be my last Day 1

This is my third Day 1 since joining a little over two months ago, and I hope it will be my last. I am hungover this morning, done kicking myself for it, and determined to never let this happen again.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Join class of June 2017. We are all in the day 1 month.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober style

That's under your control. Make it your last Day 1!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sunshine, Thank you, I will!

SnazzyDresser, You're so right and that's the plan. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Givingup54,

What is your plan for making this your final day 1? This is what my plan looks like:

• post on SR everyday-either replying to other's threads or posting my own

•complete a daily gratitude list everyday-there's a gratitude forum here on SR

•I review my goals and vision statement everyday

•complete a 30 day audiobook sobriety programme called the 30 Day Sobriety Solution-it has daily action steps which I complete and it comes with a handy companion website

•I asked a good friend who has 9 years of sobriety to be my mentor and I check in with him via email, calls or face to face each week

•I have a list of tools/activities/exercises/strategies to use when cravings hit

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nova84, Thank you for the mention of The 30 Day Sobriety Solution. That's the first I heard of it and I went immediately to Amazon to see the reviews, which were great, so I ordered a copy.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really haven't thought of a plan, which would be the smart thing to do. My only "plan" has been to visit this board and like you, post to others or make my own posts when I'm feeling the urge to drink. Or, get out of the house, take a drive, whatever I have to do to get away from the temptation. My husband still drinks and being around it doesn't help, so I'm going to get away if necessary. And I plan to find ways of keeping my hands and mind occupied, such as crafts, household chores, journaling, etc. I like your plan of making a list of things. I think I'll do the same.

I will definitely be visiting the gratitude board at least each morning.

Again, I appreciate the mention of that book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check in at the 24 hour thread every morning. A great way to start your day!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Tomls. I'm going to look for it now and I'll be sure to check in daily. I appreciate it!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would be happy to share my plan with you if it helps:

1. Constantly post on SR.
2. Go to therapy.
3. Go to support classes weekly (kinda like AA, but with professional therapists)
4. Take Antabuse every morning (personal choice, doctor approved)
5. Do whatever I want except drink
Old 06-25-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Givingup54 View Post
Nova84, Thank you for the mention of The 30 Day Sobriety Solution. That's the first I heard of it and I went immediately to Amazon to see the reviews, which were great, so I ordered a copy.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really haven't thought of a plan, which would be the smart thing to do. My only "plan" has been to visit this board and like you, post to others or make my own posts when I'm feeling the urge to drink. Or, get out of the house, take a drive, whatever I have to do to get away from the temptation. My husband still drinks and being around it doesn't help, so I'm going to get away if necessary. And I plan to find ways of keeping my hands and mind occupied, such as crafts, household chores, journaling, etc. I like your plan of making a list of things. I think I'll do the same.

Again, I appreciate the mention of that book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Good for you Givingup54 😊 I hope you find the book as helpful as I have...just make sure you complete the daily action steps...they make all the difference. Let me know how you get on with it x
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Support to you G54. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Giving,

Glad you are here and posting today. I like your name without the Up, it sounds very positive!

Dee has a great link for recovery plans, here it is:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I have 18 months sober, however, I had way too many Day Ones to count. I can tell you that no drink is worth the feeling of waking up clear and focused each day. I spent a lot of time reading and posting on here, I read some great recovery books, and have really focused on complete recovery, and making healthy choices physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Mindfulness has been a big part of my recovery, and something I am still working on.

I'm glad you are going to join the June class, and I look forward to seeing you on the 24 hour thread each day.

You can do this!!

❤️Delilah
Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ThatWasTheOldMe, Thank you for sharing your plan. It's a good one!

Nova84, Thank you for the advice on the daily action steps. I'll take it. I will let you know how it goes with the book. Can't wait to get it.

Thomas11, Thank you so much!

Delilah1, LOL on dropping the "UP" in my name. Someone else made mention of my name when I first joined it seems. I'd change it if I could. But I created it to be a reference to giving up the rum. I like my name better with the UP removed, too, though. ;-)

I'm happy to be part of the June class and also the 24 hour thread. It took me a little time to find the latter one. I'm still figuring out how to maneuver around this site.

Thank you for the links that Dee posted. I checked one of them out and look forward to going back and reading others. Nice!

Congratulations on being 18 months sober! No better day to have started than New Years Day. That's wonderful!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As you see (and thanks for the share) GU- a plan is a very necessary strategy. I tried so many times to stop by will power. To go to AA, see a counsellor, psychologist, doctor- was an indication of weakness. I drank because I was weak. So willpower was a strength. NO! Admitting one needs help, gets support - establishes a routine based on a plan is strong. No to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Phoenix. I know you're right.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Givingup - I hadn't stopped when I first joined SR years ago. I knew in my heart I was going to, though. I kept reading and posting - soaking up all the advice & suggestions. One day I was ready. That was almost 10 yrs. ago. It was my last Day One. You can do it - there is no doubt.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Givingup - I hadn't stopped when I first joined SR years ago. I knew in my heart I was going to, though. I kept reading and posting - soaking up all the advice & suggestions. One day I was ready. That was almost 10 yrs. ago. It was my last Day One. You can do it - there is no doubt.
Thank you Hevyn! Your encouragement means more than I can say in words!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Givingup54 View Post

I did the same thing and did the first day's exercises. I don't know much about the program but it seems like having recovery-focused exercises to do every day should be a good thing.

Thanks nova84 for the suggestion!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Giving Up

I think I underestimated the amount of change needed for me to stay sober - but once you accept that, great things happen

Have you thought about making a recovery plan at all?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 06-25-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee, Thank you for the link. I'm definitely going to start working on a plan. I think my original plan, which was no plan at all, was just to stop it! ;-) I'm going to do my homework and start working on something to help when the going really gets tough. Thank you, again.