Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone, I was banned about 18 months ago, but let's give this another try. Don't worry mods,

Notices

Hi everyone, I was banned about 18 months ago, but let's give this another try. Don't worry mods,

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

b
Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I was banned about 18 months ago, but let's give this another try. Don't worry mods, I'm totally sober, plus I'm blind now, so won't be posting much anyway. Briefly, 35yo Canadian living in Thailand, hard core alcoholic since I was around 13. Giving this sobriety thing one last shot.

Wow, lots has changed in the past year...

For one, I met the most amazing individual in my life. This is my third serious relationship, and I could actually see this one lasting forever. I'm still uncertain as to why, but he genuinely loves me like none other. We've been living together for about 10 months now, although he's from Laos, so has to go back every 30 days for a VISA run. It works out good, because he gets to spend a week with his friends and family in his home village.

In other news, I went blind a while back, so I guess that's something. Parents, I plead with you to please ensure your kids always wear the proper protective hear during recreational activities. I know from experience, all it takes is one bad fall, and that's it. A while back I was repback a took a good fall in the backyard due to the rain and slippery tiles, and that's all it took. That one simple fall caused lesions in my right optic nerve, and I'm now stuck being blind for the rest of my natural life. I'll never again see color, the sky, clouds, mountains, birds, waves in the ocean, or anything else. I'm totally fine with being blind now because it's been about 9 months (Sept 15th, 2016 to be exact), but just a heads up for everyone. Ensure your kids wear the proper protection, because again, all it takes is one fall.

Umm, what else? Obviously I'm here to continue my sobriety journey. Thankfully, I have all the strength and love I need from my honey now, so I'm pretty sure I can do it. Plus he doesn't even drink coke or Pepsi, let alone alcohol, so that's a good influence. He also lived in a Buddhist temple for 7 years from the ages of 13 - 20, hence is one of the most compassionate, down to earth indivduals you'll ever meet. I still have no idea why, because he had no reason to, but he stuck it out with me upon going blind. We chatted online daily for 8 months prior to meeting, but only actually knew each other for 6 weeks before I went blind. However, he stayed by my side for some reason, so I now owe him my life. Trust me, that first 4 - 56 weeks after going blind isn't easy, and I have the house damage to prove it. I put that poor guy through hell, and he still stuck by my side for some reason, and for that I'm forever grateful.

Oh, guess I went to the hospital a while back due to an anemia and blood platelete level of 16. Wouldn't recommend it, but caused due to drinking and poor habit. Had the first blood transfusion of my life, plus got verified that I have a fatty liver, but not cirrohsis, so that was nice to know. Back to eating excellently though, mainly because I have Leo, and he's pre-diabetic, plus is always hungry. I love to cook delicious dinners, but it's no fun cooking for yourself, so good to have him to cook for.

On the plus side, going blind gave me a couple of the best business ideas I've ever had in my life. Working on getting it launched now, and I'm pretty sure I have the love and strength necessary to put myself out there now as needed to become successful. Time will tell I guess.

Stay sober everyone,
Mercury
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PS. Tech team, not to bug, but any chance of adding some "label" HTML tags to the site for us blind folk? For example, obviously I can't find the title textbox when making a new thread. If there were some "label" tags, I'd be able to find it without problem. No worries if you can't though.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back. Congrats on being sober!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Merc. Such a change in life circumstance is difficult- very difficult. I am pleased to read a peaceful conclusion to that chapter of your life. One door closes......
A strong support system is vital for me in recovery- to remain sober. SR, counselling, psychologist and meetings. Your narrative is good to read- turning around what you cannot control and focussing on what there is that is good in your life. A true path to mindful existence. Awesome post. And obviously- like I tell myself- do not drink..drinking kill (I know).
Empathy and support to you.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Wonderful news! The sobriety I mean. I am sorry about your sight loss. Admire the courage you are expressing regarding that loss.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mercury,
I'm sorry to read about your accident.

D