Well, THIS sucks

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, THIS sucks

So I was feeling pretty good about my good blood work for my recent doctor's visit--she was thrilled about my weight loss and my blood sugar and blood pressure had both dropped to normal. I went back for my yearly low-dose CT scan for lung cancer screening, which I had started (at her suggestion) a year ago. There was a small nodule, but when I went back for a repeat a few months later, no change, so they told me to come back in a year.

Anyway, followup visit with pulmonologist today, and the damn thing is larger than it was a year ago. Nothing dramatic--it went from .7 cm to .9 cm. Bottom line, it is almost certainly malignant (1-2 percent chance it isn't).

So I am having my fun, concert-filled summer interrupted by surgery to remove one of the lobes of my left lung. I'm not freaking out--he said they will remove the lymph nodes and do a PET scan, and if those are clear the surgery should be the only treatment I will need--not even chemo/ radiation.

My job is very supportive--they have said, "Anything you need." I told my brother and my ex (kiddos' dad), and have decided NOT to say anything at all to my 87-y/o dad, who would do nothing but worry endlessly about this for the rest of his life.

I will probably have to spend a week in the hospital, which is right now the worst part of the deal. I have an appointment for a breathing test tomorrow (to make sure my lung capacity is sufficient--no shortness of breath, so that shouldn't be an issue), and an appointment with the surgeon next week. Hopefully I can get this surgery scheduled ASAP and I can get on with my summer. Fortunately, no work travel scheduled till September (though doing a training day after tomorrow about 3 hours away from here).

Anyway, just wanted to share. Good thoughts, vibes welcome.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Will certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i think we go back far enough where i can say "well thank god it's not about the foundation!!!!" and you know that is meant with love!

that does suck. early detection and testing is so key - i'm glad this was already on the radar and has been monitored. this is where sticking with the Next Indicated Thing is just crucial, not getting too far ahead or freaking out.

lots and lots of good thoughts and vibes, juju and mojo coming your way!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened Lexie but I have faith all will be well and you'll be back into the swing of things soon enough to enjoy the rest of summer

D
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will be in my prayers, LexiCat.
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will keep you in my thoughts also Lexi. Its great your Dr had you start scanning and caught it.
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

and prayers to you in getting thru this intact and for peace of mind.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i think we go back far enough where i can say "well thank god it's not about the foundation!!!!"
LOL, you know, there was a part of my brain that actually thought the SAME THING. Even as I was getting the news, I was thinking, hell, if this were something with my HOUSE, I wouldn't even have insurance. Thank goodness it's just a LUNG, fer cryin' out loud.

I've spent the past couple of days working on an op-ed piece for work, related to the Cosby case. They called an expert in that case to explain victim behavior (in fact, I'm doing a training on that this week). I told my boss, I'd be the victim nobody believed because I'd be the one cracking jokes during the rape kit exam. People react to traumatic events/news in very individual ways. I'm not pretending this doesn't make me a bit nervous, but I'm nowhere near panic mode. Works for me.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lexie, I wish you ongoing health. I've so appreciated your ever-present wisdom here, and you are such a strong and inspirational woman, I know you're going to do fine.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prayers and positive vibes coming your way. Sounds like your doctor is on top of things. Hoping your surgery is scheduled quickly and your recovery is swift and complete.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am so sorry to hear this Lexie. I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's good that you are on top of it, Lexie. Sounds likea good prognosis ahead.
We make concert plans and God laughs.
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lexie, this cancer survivor and her cancer survivor husband are keeping you in our prayers and feeling optimistic that the doctors have this...all you need to do is show up.

I too found that humour saw us both through some rough days, but this is 2017 and the treatments today are awesome. Just do the next thing until this is done,

When you get scared, take a good look at the nurses feet and if you see a pair of bunny slippers you will know I snuck in to supervise.

Hugs
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, LC, I'm sorry. What a pain.

Sending you a monster fierce hug.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lexie
You are one of my favorite people here.
I'll put you on the Rosary every day from now on. Will be asking God for easy surgery and 1/2 the recovery time they expected.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Support and hugs your way, Lexie.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending positive vibes, Lexie. My thoughts are with you as you go through this procedure.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lexie,

You are one of the strongest people that I know. You will do just fine. Another cancer survivor here. Breast (1A) Cervical (3B).

When going through this you need to have your humor about you. It helps you get you through things, especially the hospital food.

Guessing you will be on the oncology ward after surgery. Mine did not allow flowers into the room. (Just so that you know, in case someone wants to send you flowers)

I also had a lymph node removed. Mine was from my armpit. Most likely that is where yours will be from. No problem with that. I think I did have a bag attached to me for about 2 days for the draining, but no big deal. There might be a numbness there afterwards, it may stay, may go away, mine stayed, but at least no one can tickle me there anymore. I don't feel it. (lol)

Sending may good vibes and prayers your way. Make sure you bring your computer to the hospital to give us updates.

Thinking of you
(((((((((((hugs))))))))))

amy
Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
under new management

Prayers and lots of good vibes coming your way, Lexie
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really sorry to hear this not so great news, but confident that it is just a huge inconvenience and a bummer for the summer. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!