Notices

22 year old, high functioning, developing a problem?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

22 year old, high functioning, developing a problem?

Hi everyone!

I'm Jessa, and this is the first time for me on a site like this. I think I may be developing a problem or have the serious potential to develop one. I have been drinking since I was 13, and I have to admit I can drink most grown men under the table now. I am the "tomboy" if you will. I am not the one you will find waking up in a strangers bed, passed out on a toilet in a public bathroom, or getting in fights with someone who I think is looking at my boyfriend the wrong way ..(especially since I don't have one) Anyway, when I would look at friends or family, that type of behavior is what I would associate a drinking problem with or just a very low tolerance. I considered myself different because I usually plateau when I am drinking and keep my composure and go on with my life the next day. Lately that hasn't been the case. I still keep my composure and don't go crazy, but I will drink 2-4 days in a row and my mental clarity is shot until about the beginning of the next weekend. Then I am excited to go again because I feel better and happy, then BOOM, it happens again. And I can never use good moderation. Once I start, I don't stop. It always feels like my tolerance is high enough that if I stop then I will lose all the progress I have made from drinking already. (if that makes sense) Oh, I also do not like have "Sexual Relations" unless I am pretty juiced. It's like it isn't enjoyable for me unless I am.. Anyway.. does anyone have any similar stories, or advice for me? Part of me thinks "oh you are young, this will pass" and the other side is "you have serious alcoholism in your family, and this is just the start of a serious problem" I try to do research and I haven't found anything that really explains what I am going through. I hope SR can help. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, I would love to speak openly with everyone. Thank-you

Jessa
Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jessa. Well, they say alcoholism is progressive, so trying to label what you are currently going through as a "phase" probably is an incorrect assessment. Admittedly you say once you start, you can't stop. That's a sign. A big one. Quitting is easy, staying quit is hard, but I think most people around here would agree with me that sobriety is pretty darn rewarding in its own right. Wish you the best.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"High functioning" is not a type of alcoholic, it's a stage of alcoholism. Sooner or later you won't be 'high functioning' anymore.

If you get sober now, you'll have far fewer regrets when you get to be my age.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you thomas11 for your candor! I appreciate it.

-Jessa
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
"High functioning" is not a type of alcoholic, it's a stage of alcoholism. Sooner or later you won't be 'high functioning' anymore.

you're right, thank-you! I just wish I could use moderation, but I can't. Or I haven't taught myself how to do it. Idk
Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jad3501 View Post
Thank you thomas11 for your candor! I appreciate it.

-Jessa
Sometimes I am not very subtle, I apologize. I didn't mean to come across harshly. Its just that I come from a position that alcohol slowly and painfully destroys the lives of good well meaning people. You don't want to be one of those folks. I applaud you for recognizing that it might be an issue. Good job.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I clearly had a drinking problem when I was 22. The problem was I didn't quit drinking until 30 years later.

Don't spend the next xx number of years in denial about your relationship with alcohol.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Or I haven't taught myself how to do it.
Moderation can't be 'taught' or learned. You're either a normal drinker or you're not. Don't waste your time trying to 'learn' how to moderate your drinking. Stop now and work on improving your life thru sobriety.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Moderation can't be 'taught' or learned. You're either a normal drinker or you're not. Don't waste your time trying to 'learn' how to moderate your drinking. Stop now and work on improving your life thru sobriety.
I tried to moderate for years, but it turns out not drinking at all removes that struggle. I could moderate when I was home and had to work in the morning, but I rarely moderated my drinking on weekends. I got sick of hangovers. Abstinence, though a challenge at first, makes life so much easier. I just don't drink. Period. The moderation issue is history. I highly recommend the sober life.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Jessa! You can learn a lot and get good support here.

I landed in treatment and then AA at 21.

One thing I've learned is that if there are things you haven't done while drinking, just put "yet" at the end of it. I ended up crossing a lot of lines and breaking my own rules about things I would "never" do before I got sober.

When I relapsed years later, I tried to moderate but only proved to myself that it's something that's just not possible for me, even after a long time away from it. It was a painful lesson. I finally managed to stop because I knew without a doubt that all those things I hadn't done yet were all possible if I kept on drinking.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some awesome advice here - welcome aboard Jessa

D
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jessa. I realized in my mid-twenties that I didn't drink like most other people. It all finally gelled for me earlier this year -- at age forty. Only by completely cutting out alcohol was I able to manage life and grow as a person. Moderation (for me) only prolonged the inevitable. The good news is, you're at a great age to quit, and in the right place to get support
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I clearly had a drinking problem when I was 22. The problem was I didn't quit drinking until 30 years later.

Don't spend the next xx number of years in denial about your relationship with alcohol.
I can confirm this is the best advice you will ever receieve. With the help of AA, I stopped at 22, and never drank again. I am 60 now and have had a life beyond anything I could have imagined.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes!!! I agree. I was also "high functioning" in my alcohol problem. But I saw it progressing and decided not to have my whole life blow up before I quit. I'm much older than you (47), and I really wished I had the insight that you do when I was your age.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
I tried to moderate for years, but it turns out not drinking at all removes that struggle.

Yes! So much better not to fill my head with all the convoluted ways I would try to moderate!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I'm very new to sober life myself (Day 3!) but I've found that people that don't have a problem with alcohol don't spend their time worrying about whether they have a problem with alcohol... And if you do have a problem then moderation won't work. The only choice you have is whether to deal with the problem now or at a later date. I left it 10 years and wish I'd confronted it sooner!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I knew I had a problem by 22, but kept at it for over another decade before I finally did something about it. During that decade, the amount of damage and trouble alcohol caused me would take probably months to recite. At some point or another, alcohol literally everything I had. I wish I would have had the foresight to address the issue at 22. There is less of a social stigma with drinking at your age, but drinking harmfully is drinking harmfully no matter what the age. You are in the right place.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jessa!!