Notices

Rough Time in the ER But Didn't Think of the Booze

Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough Time in the ER But Didn't Think of the Booze

Had a rough time Saturday night four hours in the ER with a bowel obstruction complete with agonizing seizures (about an 8 on a 1-10 scale) for four hours. I asked for medication to control the seizures and although they promised this forthwith they delayed until just prior to my discharge, offering no explanation why, despite their saying "Right away, I'll tell the doctor" several times over the three and a half hour period. Nothing happened. Then, after a Catscan I returned and found that someone had hung up my call button on a wall so I could not reach it nor could I get out of the Gurney. If I'd had a heart attack or stroke (I've had two heart operations and have a Pacemaker) I would not have been able to get them to call the crash cart. When I asked the nurse for the call button she gave it to me and simply said, "Oh, someone must have hung it up on the wall!" (That's strange," I replied, "That thought also occurred to me!") Low on the Triage List. I glimpsed several arrested prisoners getting preferential treatment. They had cops to speed things up! Wanted to get them back to the slammer!
Is this a "poor me" pity pot routine? I'm simply delighted that my AV remained docile in its cage and that the thought of booze did not occur to me. Unless my AV had a conspiracy with the docs to withhold the anti seizure meds so I would hit the bottle when I got home. That didn't happen either. But I better watch out. Self congratulation is another trigger for a relapse. Yes, the doc and my AV. But that's paranoia! Wow! I better quit this and go to bed!

W
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Both a bowel obstruction and seizures can be fatal. Did they immediately CT scan you?

Why no immediate Ativan for the seizures?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're alright now. I've had my share of ER visits and they're not fun. At all. I hope you are doing better.

I don't think you're full of pity, I think the ER was giving you substandard treatment. Like the call button not being accessible. They should have given it to you as soon as you got back to the room.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're OK Bill - I'm sorry that the level of care could have been better tho.

D
Old 06-19-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

I'm pleased you're ok too, Bill.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you're on the mend, Bill!
Old 06-20-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh Bill, I am so sorry to read this. That must have been very scary- and it sounds like it was annoying too with the level of care. I am glad that thoughts of drinking did not enter your mind and you did not turn to that once home to "relax". Take it easy these coming days, rest and relaxation. Thinking of you friend.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Both a bowel obstruction and seizures can be fatal. Did they immediately CT scan you?

Why no immediate Ativan for the seizures?
No that came later. An hour before discharge. I don't know what the anti seizure medication was except it was an injection in my left shoulder, after I'd had seizures for three and a half hours. My urologist says that the damage they did will have trouble healing unless I stop taking Warfarin. I'm off this until at least Friday. This of course increases the risk of stroke or heart failure due to atrial fibrillation. I'm frightened now to go to the ER on anything but a stroke or heart attack.

W.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Oh Bill, I am so sorry to read this. That must have been very scary- and it sounds like it was annoying too with the level of care. I am glad that thoughts of drinking did not enter your mind and you did not turn to that once home to "relax". Take it easy these coming days, rest and relaxation. Thinking of you friend.
Thanks so much Mera. I think of you often! Hope you are coming along O.K. "Annoying" is an understatement. Maybe I'll have to come to Italy for some decent medical help! I'm so fond of Italy and the Italians!

Bill
Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

I am so sorry to read about your ER experience and for the reason you were admitted.

(((((Bill)))))
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bill, that sounds like a horrible ER experience and lack of professionalism on the part of the hospital workers.

I'm glad you're home and feeling better.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Bill, that sounds like a horrible ER experience and lack of professionalism on the part of the hospital workers.

I'm glad you're home and feeling better.
Thanks Anna: I think the best solution is to get arrested. That gets you "preferential" treatment and at least one night's lodging. Free health care if you don't get beaten up. Free tattoos? (Just joking of course). Can't understand why the docs dish out oxycontin, etc., I always refuse to take it. Doesn't do much for bowel seizures I guess.
So now my urine is bloody. Go with the flow I guess. That's what the Tao says!
Thanks again Anna. Hope you have a dog. All four feet on the ground!

Bill
Old 06-20-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are there other hospitals or perhaps a family Dr you could go to Bill?

Passing blood is something I'd get checked out with some urgency.

D
Old 06-20-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bill, I'm just reading this now & feel terrible for the experience you had.
I hope you're getting help for the bloody urine. Prayers for you to feel better.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bill, I'm so sorry for the ordeal you experienced in the ER. I agree with others, about looking into another hospital, or doctor....never hurts to get a second opinion.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Are there other hospitals or perhaps a family Dr you could go to Bill?

Passing blood is something I'd get checked out with some urgency.

D
A fine urologist doctor checked me out for the blood leakage. Perfectly understandable since he had to go into the tunnel to cauterize the wounds on the walls. Now how's that for a horror story! Doesn't hurt too much except that sometimes it helps to chew on a towel. Do the ball players still chew on tobacco? I remember the "Mail Pouch" signs on the barns. You all are too young to recall that. Spitoons in the railroad rest rooms. Brokers offices. Solid brass with horrible liquid swirling about.
Just so hope you get to sleep tonight, don't worry. The blood loss is tapering off. And the dog's O.K.

Bill
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can't fault us for being concerned - but Im glad it's not a worry for you or your Doc

Sleep Well Bill

D
Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Bill, I'm so sorry for the ordeal you experienced in the ER. I agree with others, about looking into another hospital, or doctor....never hurts to get a second opinion.
When you have an emergency and the truck with the flashing lights is in the driveway they take you to the nearest hospital and you don't get to choose the doc when you get there. You can try hiding under the Gurney but it's sort of cramped down there and they always get you out. Like Saddam Hussein in his little foxhole. Or you can head for the mountains like Bin Laden but there are no mountains where I live.

W.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh, Bill.

What an ordeal.

I am very glad that you are feeling better.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, and I hope you are continuing to feel better. Please make sure to follow up with your primary doctor.

❤️Delilah