Notices

Bored out of my mind.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored out of my mind.

2 weeks sober tomorrow. Morning are great! I have had a lot of fun and done all the feel good stuff.. walks. Playing with kids.. movies. Good food. But I'm bored. I should be in a good mood, but just crabby. Wanting a break, missing the mania from drinking. I'll push through. I do every night. The monotony is hard. The same ole same ole is getting to me. It will pass. Just needed to rant.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be careful and vigilant, this is AV.

Your first post here was that you were afraid that sobriety would be boring.

Don't let AV play you. Starve it and dont drink.

You are bored? There all kinds of things you can do.

I repeat: do not let AV set you up.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

Write a gratitude list. good luck!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Be careful and vigilant, this is AV.

Your first post here was that you were afraid that sobriety would be boring.

Don't let AV play you. Starve it and dont drink.

You are bored? There all kinds of things you can do.

I repeat: do not let AV set you up.
I will. It passes. That's the best thing about AV. Just have to ignore it. Some times it's louder. I know it will come and go. I have been doing great, boredom does creep in. Then AV chimes in. Bastard.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cocobeano View Post
But I'm bored. I should be in a good mood, but just crabby. Wanting a break, missing the mania from drinking.
Boredom? Or discontentment with sobriety? Recovery is more than filling one's time. It's about embracing the sober life.

But you miss the drinking.

Only the insanity of alcoholism can make the chaos of drinking sound like fun. Be careful.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do some research on a project you might undertake.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My focus when I was drinking was just to have a good time. A selfish way to live.

When I tried to stop drinking, one of the things I remained focussed on was having a good time or, as you are finding, the lack of a good time. I found trying to live life by doing things that I thought would make me feel good didn't seem to work. Living with that ulterior motive behind all my actions, hiding a bad motive under a good one, was a recipe for unhappiness and boredom. It was my old alcoholic way of thinking, unchanged even though the booze had stopped.

I had to find a better way.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like it's time to begin making changes to your life to support your recovery. It's so much more than just stopping drinking. Since you're bored, why not come up with things to do that you'd enjoy? What hobbies do you have or would you like to start? Are you involved in sports? Have you looked around your community to see what volunteer opportunities are available? Maybe you could take a Course about something that interests you? There are endless things to do to make life 'not boring'.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was too. I'm still newly sober (41 days) but it torally passed. I felt like I was a stranger in my own home , very unsettled... watching everyone live and carry on and I was thinking wth do I do now. It passed recently , and now I see life through a different lense. It's better !
Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's all part of rhe process, Coco. It's unsetttling at first.
Take care of the kids and have fun with them.
Evenings were toughest for me. How to fill what were the drinking hours.
Fortunately, I like to read.
Did a lot of reading!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best thing to did was post. By opening communication you can explore ideas and talk it out, learn and understand. Most of us have been in your shoes at some point. Do a search and you will find all kinds of post about this. You are not alone.

I'm glad you posted!

Work that plan!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think just learning to be ok without needing something to "enhance it" is the key. And remembering the hangover is much worse then the boredom! I need to start reading. I'll look into that!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is so much to life.
Gardening, reading, games, running, knitting, hiking, Swimming, painting,

cleaning, organizing, re-decorating, writing letters to loved ones (i just thought of that one. Who literally hand writes letters anymore?)

Listen to music and dance, take a class that is interesting, join a club, learn to skip rocks, learn to juggle, build something, learn a instrument,

repaint the walls, collage, make candles, journal, learn to make jewelry, sew, learn to shoot at the range, go antique hunting, learn to meditate,

get a dog or a cat or a turtle, volunteer, karate, write a book, make interesting foods that you always wanted to try, go roller skating, learn to roller blade,

become a volunteer for meals on wheels, take up another job, watch a series on Netflix, HBO, Showtime or HULU. Learn a foreign language ( I am contemplating taking a class to become fluent in Spanish. I can speak quite a bit but its not fluent)

Whatever you do, dont drink. Keep it safe and real. You got this!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.

When I was bored, restless, or dissatisfied in early recovery, my go-to therapy was walking my dogs. It got me out of the house, gave me fresh air and sunshine, and exercise. Plus I get a kick out of watching my dogs sniffing everything so intently.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Coco,

Hang in there. It sounds like you know this is dangerous thinking, and it's good to be aware and recognize it for what it is, the AV talking.

Drinking may seem to make things more "fun" in the short term (though I'm questioning that now), but you know there's nothing deep, real or meaningful to it. It just dulls the senses and covers up the emotions you are feeling (boredom, sadness, emptiness, frustration).

It doesn't solve anything, or improve our lives. In fact, it makes our lives smaller, more limited and ultimately actually MORE boring: Life becomes about alcohol, and not much else. Going from one drinking episode to the other, so impatient for that glass of wine, instead of eager for meaningful things. It seems like a "reward", but it's actually poison, damage and havoc.

I know it can be hard when you have young kids, but even during that season of your life (which really does fly by, said as the mom of teenagers), there are other, better places to find adventure, meaning and fun than in a bottle.

I get the frustration and the need to vent, though, and we are here to listen. (I'm saying all this as much for me as for you!) Just hang in there! You're doing so well.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This is a support forum first.

Secondly it is an informative place to offer help w addiction.

When you crave...e.g. boredom. ...you have to remember why you quit.

Maybe you got a dui, or got sick, embarrassed yourself..whatever...you have to role the tape

Knowing a drink equals a relapse and that could lead to a snowballing coarse to losing everything is the analysis.

It is suffering all the way. It sucks and it could suck for a long long time.

I still suffer sometimes. I see folks having a cocktail and what to join in...

But 1 or 2 never did it for me...sometimes i would drink 2...but eventually i would drink 20...everytime. guaranteed.

So keep posting, hit AA up, keep helping folks.

Booze is poison to us.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's a great thread on plenty of ideas for something to do!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html