Notices

167 days sober

Old 06-18-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

167 days sober

hello everyone. this is the first time I have posted on this website. I am 167 days sober today and feel pretty good. I haven't been to any AA meetings or anything like that. I have done those in the past though but they were court ordered. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here for sharing there stories and wisdom. I have been on here every night before I go to bed and I feel like this has been a huge help.
I finaly realized after over 25 years of drinking that I have a problem. lol. I am posting this from my phone so I'm not going to go into my life story or anything. I did have a question for anybody that might have had the same issues im feeling at this time. after 167 days in I feel like these cravings are starting up all over again and it's pissing me off! I thought the first 3 months was supposed to be the tough spot. I've had cravings off and on. fought through some social situations that I would have avoided in the past if I was taking a cheap jab at a half ass attempt at getting sober. I've wanted to drink as soon as I get off work to unwind, while watching sports,going out to eat, grilling out, relaxing at night while watching tv. I have gotten through all that and all those triggers that used to break me down. I feel stronger now mentally getting through all that and I feel I've came a long way. now all the sudden it feels like I'm starting all over again!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Irish!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!

For me I needed to get through a year before things really started to ease in terms of cravings, I think it was to do with different times of the year I craved alcohol for different reasons, my first Sober Xmas, hot summer, St Patricks Day, birthday, wedding, sports season etc etc . . . once I got through it all once without alcohol I knew I was on the way to cracking it!!

Great to have you with onboard!!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the response purple knight. I get what your saying. lately me and my wife have been talking more about me being sober and I keep telling her I wanted to get a year in. Shes like why would you stay sober for a year then drink again that would be stupid. well..i know that would be stupid but for some reason I still down deep have to have a back door escape route. That's the mentality I'm wanting to shut down. I do feel like if I could get a year under my belt I will be thinking different. These are the issues where I think AA meetings would be benifical but I just cant bring myself to jump into that.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 167 days irish45 🎉🎉🎉

I'm just 3 weeks in so not able to provide any insight into your cravings resurfacing...sorry...but wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't made it to 167 yet, but I expect that it will take at least one trip around the calendar to create new responses to the common "this is where I normally drink" places and times.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Irish,
You are not alone! I’m on day 169 and for some reason recently my cravings have come back to the extreme! I, like yourself, thought I was past this!! It’s so frustrating but I keep playing the tape forward and reminding myself of why I don’t want to go back to my drinking ways. How bad it really had gotten and how much better I feel today - both physically and mentally. Personally, I can’t seem to tell myself that I will never drink again in my life. It’s not that I'm planning a relapse…it’s just that thought is too daunting for me and so I go one day at a time. Today I will not drink.

I feel stronger today than the last few days, not sure if it’s because it’s Sunday and the worst of the weekend is though. (Weekends are still tough for me)

Keep posting. It’s really helped me through the rough patches. I also joined the January 2017 Class where people who quit during January post daily/weekly just to check in and see how it’s going. It’s helped me stay accountable and nice to hear from others who are at a similar stage of recovery. I’d suggest swinging by and maybe joining in if you’d like You can find the thread under the Newcomer’s Daily Support Threads.

We’ve made it this far…we can do this! One day at a time
Old 06-18-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 167 days sober! If you stay sober for a year, completely sober, you may feel so much better that you don't want to go back to drinking.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Finally Honest

Way to Go Irish!!! Keep it up one day at a time!!!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still down deep have to have a back door escape route.

for the..........zombie apocalypse? alien invasion? LOL

well done on your sober time. glad you joined the group. awesome post from a phone no less.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 167 days thats a great accomplishment. Those "back door" escape routes will be used eventually if you don't have a plan. AA gives a plan to long term sobriety just like many other recovery plans. I had my last craving/desire to drink around 90 days. And coincidentally I lost all desire and cravings around the same time I completed steps 1-3. So, my suggestion is to find a recovery plan that you are willing to do 100%. If you're not willing to give it your full attention then you are setting yourself up for a big relapse.

You've done awesome staying dry for 167 days. Good luck