Notices

I do not drink like my friends

Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2/2016

I do not drink like my friends

I went to a summer pool party yesterday. My best group of friends. The house and pool are awesome, great food, tons of beer, and a just an all around great group of people.

I noticed yesterday, while I drank water and soft drinks, that my friends who drink do not drink the way I do. They do not finish one beer and then open another. They do not always have a wine glass in hand. They stop at some point, it seems so effortless. Nothing like the way I drink.

I am so happy to say that I was never tempted, only reenforced that I have a much different relationship to alcohol than the 15 other adults at the party. I mean I knew that, but I do not think I realized it until I saw it sober.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks HTown,

Unfortunately, it took a lot more to convince me that I have a 'condition' I have proven thru may repeated bad episodes, that I do not Drink like others that don't have my 'condition'. I'm sure many diabetics see people eating sweets and internally just acknowledge, I have a 'condition' that I cannot do the same as 'them'. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy our lives ...

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was something I also only realised through a Sober lens, my behaviours around alcohol weren't normal, and not only that my thought processes, a constant obsession over the liquid in my hand, it wasn't a healthy relationship, only destructive.

Great job on pushing through HTown!!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey htown, I didn't drink like anyone I knew. Like most , once sober I couldn't believe that I thought no one noticed. Your making great progress.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's a great thing your friends are like that, that is, social drinkers. They seem like they wouldn't pressure you to "keep up" with them. Anyways I have yet to go anywhere around a party where there was alcohol being consumed. You did well!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame.

From the Big Book.

If I am 'noticing' alcohol, I'm looking at it. I can go anywhere provided I have a legitimate reason for being there. I always try to bring something rather than stealing some vicarious thrill (that is for me noticing who and how much people are or are not drinking).
One promise of AA is that the problem will and can be removed- one day at a time.
Thanks for you post. Gave me something to consider.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The only ones who understood my drinking
were the ones in the clubs.

The only ones who understand my recovery
are the ones in recovery.

No questions asked in either one.