Notices

If i quit for good will these things happen?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If i quit for good will these things happen?

1) Will my teeth get nice and bright white?

2) Will my face look better, like less baggy sorta eyes?

3) will I be more hydrated when exercising? at the moment when i do karate I get dehydrated really quick. i used to be a smoker and i quit which helped a lot but i still get too dehydrated and sometimes you can't just go off and get a drink of water, only when they say you can

4) I have anxiety disorder and a little psychosis, will quitting ease it? I take medication and my doctor says while on olanzapine I shouldn't be drinking anyway

5) I had an ankle open reduction operation about 2 years ago and sometimes it still hurts. will it hurt less if i quit for good or will that be permanent?

6) A while ago I was getting sharp stabbing pains to my chest. it was so sharp it felt like a heart attack. i got checked out and everything from x-ray, ecg, blood test, etc and they said it was my rib muscles. they had a name for it but i forgot what is was called. could alcohol be the cause of that and will it just stop if i quit for good?

At the moment I keep screwing up quitting mainly because I keep trying to go back to moderate drinking, like on weekends, going out to restaurants, someones house, etc but when that happens it screws my sleeping pattern then i start drinking because I can't sleep at night time so there is nothing better to do other than drinking.. I'm 26 years old and have been a heavy semi - heavy drinker for about 3 years, ever since i had my operation and wasn't able to walk or do anything really.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't say if those things will happen if you get sober. I can tell you that, from my experience, your life will get so much better and getting sober for good will improve your overall health.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure about teeth,ect... BUT I will say that your whole life will be better when you stop.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

you know the answers if you carry on drinking as youre living them right now

if you always do what you've always done, youll always get what you always got

theres only one way to find out for sure and that's to stop
Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ozm8ty, it reads like your putting conditions on sobriety.
IF a whole lot.
i cant answer If all that will get better, but i can guarantee something:
WHEN you quit and start learning how to live life on lifes terms, you will have a great life regardless if that improves or not.
IF you dont quit, alcohol WILL kill you.

you dont screw up because you go back to moderate drinking.you say later youre a semi- heavy drinker. thats not moderate drinking.

you screw up,imo, because you havent decided you want to be sober more than you want to drink
AND havent become willing to go to ANY lengths for victory over alcohol.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are things you can do to improve a lot of those areas, but anything you do will be counteracted by continuing to drink. So we can't say things WILL get better if you stop drinking, but we can say for sure they won't if you don't.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As others have said, not sure if those specific things will happen but I can say with confidence you will feel and look better. And if you continue drinking things will more than likely get worse. Just the way it is.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Why not try quitting and see what happens? It can't be any worse than the horror stories you've been through due to your drinking.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, you will definitely feel and look better.
One of the nice things about quitting alcohol is you have more energy. More energy leads to doing more healthy stuff, like exercising and doing fun things instead of sitting and drinking for most of the day and night.
Win win.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hmmmm. Continue to drink and continuing misery is guaranteed. No hope of a better life.

Stop drinking and there is hope of a better life, but it will depend on how you try to live it.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually yes, most, if not all of these things will get better.
After 2 years of sobriety my teeth are better; but not because the absence of alcohol magically turned them white but because I actually took control of things and went to dentist again and again and again until they were ok.

And just recently my new colleague didn't believe me when I told him I'm 38 lol, so yeah I probably look much better than I did a few years ago.

I also have anxiety issues, bordering psychosis and paranoid delusions at the height of my drinking days. They're not completely gone but much, much less and definitely not crippling anymore.

I'm also a terrible sleeper, like right now it's 4.30 in the morning but now I spent my time studying, as I'm well on my to getting my bachelor's degree in computer science, I watched some movies and now I'm on here posting. I don't know what boredom is anymore.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd probably use a whitening toothpaste for the teeth but with everything else It can't hurt to give it a go and find out Ozm8ey?

D
Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've never seen a happy, healthy, attractive hungover person

Usually the person appears ill. Myself included, of course.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oh I'd also like to add i wanna lose around 15-20 kgs. i know quitting alcohol itself wont make me lose weight but it has to help right. either the beer or the olanzapine made me gain weight yeah. my cholesterol was high too my doctor wanted me to see a diatiction to see if i can lower my choleserol naturally without having to take medication but i was worried there would be too much changes such and limiting alcohol, eating better, etc + it costs money to see them
Old 06-18-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
oh I'd also like to add i wanna lose around 15-20 kgs. i know quitting alcohol itself wont make me lose weight but it has to help right. either the beer or the olanzapine made me gain weight yeah. my cholesterol was high too my doctor wanted me to see a diatiction to see if i can lower my choleserol naturally without having to take medication but i was worried there would be too much changes such and limiting alcohol, eating better, etc + it costs money to see them
It doesn't seem that you digested the answers above...perhaps because they weren't what you want to hear: quitting, full stop, is the key to seeing any and every possible positive change.

Good luck- you can have a much better, healthier life without alcohol if you choose.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2/2016

You will look better, face less puffy if you quit drinking.
You will lose weight if you quit drinking, increase your excercise and watch your calorie intake. I lost 35 pounds.
You will allow your medication to work correctly if you stop drinking.
You will be able to monitor your food choices better sober and the addition of excercise could help your cholesterol, follow the doctor's advice and see a dietician.
Stopping drinking will help in every area of your life.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
+ it costs money to see them
and buying alcohol doesnt cost anything,eh?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do know continuing to drink won't help all of those things, my body and mind were pretty beaten up after years of drinking, alcohol did no good for my physical and mental health, only created problems.

So there's nothing to loose and all to gain in giving Sobriety a shot!!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

im on day 2 now. last night was a bit annoying because i went to sleep at about 1am then i wokeup and 3am then i went to sleep again and woke up at 1pm
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will settle down Ozm8ey - congrats on day 2

D