Notices

Getting fluffy

Old 06-16-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting fluffy

I've never been a tiny girl but when drinking I maintained an "healthy (unhealthy with wine) weight. I don't want to drink but I sure want to eat. I'm 40 days sober and 10 pounds up. I'm not super thrilled about this but I'm happy I'm healthy. If this happened to anyone did you allow this weight gain knowing you were battling one thing at a time? I'm almost in the mind set (I think) to cut down a bit. Thoughts?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jellybean,

I've struggled with my weight since I stopped drinking too. The first month or so I didn't worry too much about the sweets because being clean was most important to me. I eat healthy and workout 4-5 days a week. Luckily, I didn't gain any weight...but I didn't lose any either. Slowly, my weight is beginning to shift and I am beginning to see the results of my regular workouts and healthy eating.

Give it some time and don't worry about your weight right now. Once you've stabilized and the cravings for sweets subsides, your weight should be back to normal.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with CT. Concentrate on your sobriety. I gained weight at first but am now within a few pounds of where I began.

You can do it and you'll be healthier in the end.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

H, jellybean.
I thought I would lose a ton of weight when I stopped drinking.
But I didn't.
I did lose about a year later by following a pre-diabetic weigh loss plan that included lots of fruit and vegetables.
But I gained it back.
Arrrrggghhh!
I would say, start thinking about portions now, and limiting sugar and carbs.
that is my only advice, and I should take it, too!
Peace.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I subsisted on peanut butter cups and coffee for the first couple of months but didn't worry too much as my priority was just watching the sober time rack up.

I think a lot of people get caught in the trap of trying to leap from being an alcoholic health hazard to a perfect Gywneth Paltrow wheat grass juicer in one go. I completely concentrated on not drinking and completely indulged myself in all sorts of other ways. Cut yourself some slack. You are likely doing the most important thing in your life --- everything else can wait!

You're doing great!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be an idea to start some kind of exercise program to help support your recovery. I began walking a lot, miles each day, and it made a huge difference in every aspect of my life.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For the first month I didn't focus on much other than not drinking, and I didn't really have the energy to, looking back that was fine, I needed to carve out a new Sober lifestyle and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Eventually though as things eased I was able to adjust my eating, go for walks, have a bit more exercise, and it all came together in the end.

Don't stress too much, but add something to your routine, something small as the weeks go on, and eventually you'll see a difference!!

Day 40 is fantastic!!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just stay sober. You can work on weight loss later.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi jellybean! After I quit drinking I did gain weight at first because I started eating after becoming malnourished and anemic. I delighted in having interest in food again. I put on 20 lbs and fed my sweet tooth which was raging (and my job is making chocolates!) I have dropped that weight and then some. I have a very healthy lifestyle now-I bike everywhere, do yoga and Pilates, am a vegetarian and watch what I eat, but I agree that you should concentrate on the sobriety and cut yourself some slack with food. First things first, and congratulations on 40 days!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep all focus on sobriety early on for me. I crushed the mint chocolate chip ice cream in The beginning......and still do.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Weight? Given there were burns involved I went from 126kg to 74kg post hospital, now 97kg. So YES! Carbs and sugar. Not bad in the short term. BUT I am careful not to replace booze with over eating. It is a matter of my body reaching an equilibrium. Support to you. See your doc, perhaps- I get 6 monthly bloods done, just to be careful (all ok- and I was very, very BAD).
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking caused me to gain weight. I gained about 45 pounds over the course of a few years from a combination of wine, and then deciding it would be a good idea treat something around midnight. I decid d to combine giving up alcohol wih weight watchers, and exercise. I decided may as well try to fix the whole me. It work d because I focused on healthy habits. I have managed to keep the weight off and feel really good. I do need to ratchet up the exercise again though.

Listen to your body, and if you are needing to focus on just staying sober for now do that, you can start a healthy eating plan in a few weeks if that is what you want,
Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrMcTell View Post
I subsisted on peanut butter cups and coffee for the first couple of months but didn't worry too much as my priority was just watching the sober time rack up.

I think a lot of people get caught in the trap of trying to leap from being an alcoholic health hazard to a perfect Gywneth Paltrow wheat grass juicer in one go. I completely concentrated on not drinking and completely indulged myself in all sorts of other ways. Cut yourself some slack. You are likely doing the most important thing in your life --- everything else can wait!

You're doing great!
I completely agree. Break it down into two different problems and address them individually, alcohol first of course. Getting clean from booze is such a monumental task it's probably best to deal with it as a single problem, even if it means over eating at times until you get some good sober time built up. What I found is that by getting sober, easily 70 or 80 percent of other problems in my life solved themselves or I was able to easily solve them. Being sober is the key to all of this. It's the fundamental building block to tackling other problems.