Notices

Working plan

Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working plan

Hi all:

I'm posting to work my plan.

This Saturday I have a bachelorette party with all my friends. One of them has told me "it's going to be so fun, why don't you have a couple of drinks? Just 3?"... ugh!

This is the same friend that has commented like this before (I posted about it my first year here). I have been working at this for three years now and even though I have had a couple of instances when I drank, it was never infront of her so for her I'm clean over 3 years. The funny thing is that we were with another friend and a few seconds after she told me that I should have a couple my other friend started talking about a hangover that she had and how horrible it was. This is when I turned to my other friend and told her that that was exactly why drinking was out of the picture for me . It just isn't worth it.

So frustrating.

I will not drink this Saturday. I will go out and then meet my hubby at our farm. I will be sober so I wil be able to drive no problem. On Sunday I will be up early and feeling great and I will celebrate Father's Day feeling great.

My friend went through a divorce about a year ago and I have noticed that she drinks pretty frequently and sometimes when she's alone at home. She never gets drunk and out-of-control but the frequency is pretty constant.

I will not join her in this. I have worked way to hard to regress.

This is not up to her. It's up to me.

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good thoughts - thanks for sharing. What about a plan for getting out (leaving) if there is any reason you feel like you want to drink? Husband available for text SOS, drive yourself, keep club soda or whatever in hand.....especially early on and with certain friends, lots of people have difficulty either staying sober in situations like this, or enjoying them sober. Me, I skipped them entirely for a long time- and found that I didn't want to go to much of this kind of stuff, and no invitation or event (none, seriously) is worth my emotional sobriety, as that is my focus at this point (I do not focus on not drinking thanks to my AA program, but I know that maintaining the emotional sobriety I have is crucial so that drinking remains a non-option).

You can go and not drink. Keep in touch.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I definitely have a plan. I'm driving separate and getting there a bit later. They are starting at 3 and plan to go all night. I don't drink much pop so I always treat myself with a cherry coke double.

I have been out a lot and I have made it, but part of my plan is coming here and posting for accountability for myself too.

This friend I mentioned has told me that she wants to quit... I offer advice but I'm staying out of it. I know better than everyone that is up to the individual. That was the case for me.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I definitely have a plan. I'm driving separate and getting there a bit later. They are starting at 3 and plan to go all night. I don't drink much pop so I always treat myself with a cherry coke double.

I have been out a lot and I have made it, but part of my plan is coming here and posting for accountability for myself too.

This friend I mentioned has told me that she wants to quit... I offer advice but I'm staying out of it. I know better than everyone that is up to the individual. That was the case for me.
I like your idea of getting there a bit later. It could be that you show up to a bunch of drunk people and think, "Whoa, this is pure craziness!" and then end up leaving early.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
I like your idea of getting there a bit later. It could be that you show up to a bunch of drunk people and think, "Whoa, this is pure craziness!" and then end up leaving early.
My plan is to leave early. I have the drive out of town so that's my out. We shall see how it unfolds... it's been a while, a long while since I have been out with them to celebrate something like this.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great suggestions so far

I'd also think a little on what you'd do if someone insists you drink, and crucially if you get tempted and want to drink.

I'm not disparaging your desire to be sober at all, or the strength of your commitment - but if you cover all possible bases your plan will be 100% effective

D
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Great suggestions so far

I'd also think a little on what you'd do if someone insists you drink, and crucially if you get tempted and want to drink.

I'm not disparaging your desire to be sober at all, or the strength of your commitment - but if you cover all possible bases your plan will be 100% effective

D
Something will probably be said, but I'm ready! Hopefully not, if if yes it won't be a surprise.