Notices

Day 37

Old 06-13-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 37

Hi all ,
Day 37 for me but my first post.

I have been reading all the posts on here everyday and without this forum I would have never had got this far.

I have been drinking 8 to 12 cans every night for about 20 years. i woke one morning and just thought enough is enough. I just felt so ill.

The anxiety I used to get was terrible and every morning I was hungover/shakes / unable to concentrate all I wanted was another drink to make it go away , how I used to go to work feeling like that I don't no!

I cant believe I have made it to 37 days the first time in 20 years the most I have ever done is about 3 days then I gave in.

The first few days was very very hard could not sleep , sweating all night , shakes , headache all I wanted was another drink.

37 days on I'm feeling so much better I actually wake up feeling great .

Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 37 days!! That is an amazing miracle.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations endoftheday

D
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 37 days, that's so awesome!!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats, Endoftheday! That's a great feat. Keep it up and the amazing feeling will only get better. Do you have other support like AA? Also, do look into, if you haven't already, the other resources on here like the gratitude list, the recovery plans, etc to ensure that you don't slip up. Congrats again and good to have you here.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 37 days, you got the hard part done! Now, you just need to stick with it because sober life is much better than drunken life.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the replies its greatly appreciated , I feel so much better.

I would not have done it without these forums even though I have not posted I am always reading every ones stories on here and what they have gone through and relating it to myself.

I have wrote down all the reasons why I needed to stop and every time I am tempted to drink I read them again and again to remember how bad I actually felt .

As every day goes by the more determined I am , I do not wont to go back to day one again .

Thanks again everyone , will be posting regular now
Old 06-13-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Late with this, but congrats! It just keeps getting better!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations! So happy for you and very glad you decided to post, too, and share your story! Can't wait to hear more about how you are doing!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm going away tomorrow for a few days and I know already its going to be a tough few days ahead of me .

I am already getting these drinking thoughts.

How am I going to go on holiday without a drink
Maybe just have 1 as I'm on holiday as a treat

I know I cant and I wont drink but these thoughts keep going through me head time and time again.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is day 37 done , I have a feeling the next few days are going to be difficult ...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Endoftheday View Post
Maybe just have 1 as I'm on holiday as a treat
dont do it

for me just 1 always leads to a drunk

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA Member

heres a chip for ya

Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations and love your screen name!

You give me hope and inspiration! Keep up the great work!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Remember that those thoughts aren't you, but instead your addiction talking. When the urge comes up, acknowledge it, reject it, and move on. Drinking or not, it's still your holiday -- enjoy it!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Holidays aren't a reason to drink, that's just an excuse. I hope you can continue your winning streak. See how far you can go sober.

Congrats on over a month sober! Keep it up, it gets even better.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 38 , Thanks for you replies everyone I could not have got this far without you all and this forum.

Yes its going to be a test but I'm determined not to drink I am not going back to day 1 .

Sat outside at the moment , not a cloud in the sky I really enjoy mornings like this now I can actually get out of bed early enough to see it.

Its going to be my first sober holiday in 20 years!!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dear Endof the Day,

Please hang in there.

Why not use the holiday to make yourself feel better rather than coming home with a heavy sack of guilt and a cloudy mind? This could be the opportunity for some healthy walks or a run, or a swim, or the chance to read a good book (‘Let’s take the long way home’ by Gail Caldwell is a great read and pertinent to us), or visit some historical place wherever you are going. I am sure you will find tons of things to do if you put your mind to it.

A quick note: I don’t know how your social life is but mine was the power suit crowd who liked their drinks tall, strong and ever-coming. “Get this guy a double Greygoose, lotsa ice and little tonic, and a few slices of lime, pronto, chop-chop!” was half, and I am not exaggerating, literally half the conversation at the table.

A few weeks back I was back at one of those gatherings. When the famous words were shouted, I said no thanks. I had to say it three times before it registered and it was like a chilly air descended at our table, everyone frozen and staring at me. Total silence. What? Really? What’s up? I blurted some lame excuse, that was the best I could do. I am recovering from a flu and still have to take antibiotics for a couple of days.. Whaaat? F--- that, it doesn’t matter, and blah, blah. Man, it was not easy. And then I saw the unsaid responses in their eyes, like how dare I? Judging, accusing and not at all happy…

So this sobriety of recent also gave me the added benefit to realize that these so-called friends, whom I have known for decades literally, were simply drinking buddies, and bad ones at that. Happy to be rid of not one but two demeaning activities in my life.

Sorry to rant, but that’s what we are here for right?

Also:

I have a personal interest in your sobriety since your quit day is one day before mine. I am on day 37 today. Every day you make it to the end of the day is an inspiration for me. I hope we make it to a day 40 together and then to 100 and eventually post our 1-year anniversary one day apart! Wouldn’t that be great?

Hang in there!

Best to you,

T.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tankersfull View Post
Dear Endof the Day,

Please hang in there.

Why not use the holiday to make yourself feel better rather than coming home with a heavy sack of guilt and a cloudy mind? This could be the opportunity for some healthy walks or a run, or a swim, or the chance to read a good book (‘Let’s take the long way home’ by Gail Caldwell is a great read and pertinent to us), or visit some historical place wherever you are going. I am sure you will find tons of things to do if you put your mind to it.

A quick note: I don’t know how your social life is but mine was the power suit crowd who liked their drinks tall, strong and ever-coming. “Get this guy a double Greygoose, lotsa ice and little tonic, and a few slices of lime, pronto, chop-chop!” was half, and I am not exaggerating, literally half the conversation at the table.

A few weeks back I was back at one of those gatherings. When the famous words were shouted, I said no thanks. I had to say it three times before it registered and it was like a chilly air descended at our table, everyone frozen and staring at me. Total silence. What? Really? What’s up? I blurted some lame excuse, that was the best I could do. I am recovering from a flu and still have to take antibiotics for a couple of days.. Whaaat? F--- that, it doesn’t matter, and blah, blah. Man, it was not easy. And then I saw the unsaid responses in their eyes, like how dare I? Judging, accusing and not at all happy…

So this sobriety of recent also gave me the added benefit to realize that these so-called friends, whom I have known for decades literally, were simply drinking buddies, and bad ones at that. Happy to be rid of not one but two demeaning activities in my life.

Sorry to rant, but that’s what we are here for right?

Also:

I have a personal interest in your sobriety since your quit day is one day before mine. I am on day 37 today. Every day you make it to the end of the day is an inspiration for me. I hope we make it to a day 40 together and then to 100 and eventually post our 1-year anniversary one day apart! Wouldn’t that be great?

Hang in there!

Best to you,

T.
Yes , I'm determined not to come home and be starting day 1 again , do different things as long as I am not drinking.

Yes when I went out with my mates we would all be out to get as drunk as we could ,doubles , cocktails , strong beer and you had to join in or you would never here the last of it all night.

Yes people at the pub I call friends are just people who I drink with in the pub , all we have in common is drinking if I seen them somewhere else they probably would not even speak.

It is and you are absolutely right.

Yes it would be great , thank you for the post everything you have put is true.

Here is to day 40!

Last edited by Endoftheday; 06-14-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: error