Notices

Never thought I would be here...

Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never thought I would be here...

Hi, all!

As you can probably tell by my username, my name is Bethany and I currently live in Maryland (24 years old). I am not comfortable stating my occupation, but I do work part-time from home. I am also currently a graduate student in the beginning of an online Masters program.

I decided to begin this journey on June 2nd, 2017. The first week has been tough, but here I am. Now, I am simply struggling with loneliness and moderate to severe depression. I recently moved here so I don't have any friends yet, and I live with my boyfriend who I never get to see (relationship is rocky at the moment).

Right now I just want a sense of community, and I decided to start here.

-Bethany
Old 06-12-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Bethany! You're sure to find encouragement here - we're so glad to meet you.

At 24 I knew I was headed for trouble with my drinking, but I didn't do what you're doing. Instead I insisted I could control what I drank. I went on that way for many years & almost lost my life. Be proud of yourself for taking this step. Please keep reading & posting. We care about you.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope the awesome support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Bethany

D
Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Bethany! You will find lots of support on SR. Two good forums are the monthly classes, you can join the June 2017 class by posting in there, and you will be surrounded by others who have decided to commit or recommit to sobriety this month.

The 24 hour thread is fast moving, and has a wonderful group of supportive people who check in each day and commit to 24 hours.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI Bethany !!!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Bethany!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bethany! It's so wonderful that you're making this choice at such a young age. I think many of us on here wish we​ had done the same.

I wish you the best, and would encourage you to seek out whatever help you need on your journey of recovery. For some, SR is enough. Others need a support group and/or individual therapy. Still others, like me, find out that they need some form of treatment. Do whatever you find you need for lasting sobriety and recovery.

I would also suggest, that if you need medical help in getting sober, never hesitate to talk with your doctor. I was mortified to talk to mine the first time, but she has been caring and supportive, and has been a key facet in my ongoing recovery. A good medical professional will never judge and will do whatever they can to assist you on your journey.

Again, welcome, and congratulations on making one of the best decisions you will ever make.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bethany and welcome!

If you are looking for community, this is definitely a supportive and caring one. We are so glad you are here.

Congratulations on the progress you've already made! 10 days is awesome.

It sounds like you are going through a huge amount of stressful change, with a move to a new place, starting grad school, plus the difficulties in your relationship. Is there anyone you can talk to there, especially about your depression?

Hugs to you. It's so good you are reaching out.

Let us know how we can help.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Bethany, SR and the great people here changed my life. I think you will find great support and knowledge here.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, tealily! Thank you so much for your kind welcome.

I do see a therapist regularly, but she is on maternity leave for a couple of months. In that time I will be seeing another therapist temporarily (he is also an addiction counselor so it helps a lot).

Love this community already!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bethany! SR is such a great, supportive community, glad you found it. I also struggle with depression (and anxiety) and went through the process of an interstate move at the end of last year, so can relate to a lot of what you wrote. Congrats on your sober days...I'm on day 16 so not far into my sober journey as well.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Masters program? You have a lot of work ahead of you. Its good that you have stopped alcohol and now you can focus on getting that degree without alcohol in your life.

Have you thought about joining classes at a gym? The social interaction can be helpful. Exercise can also help to decrease anxiety and depression. Just a thought.

We are here for community as well. I do hope that you find your bearings in your new home and that the transition eases. Its always hard to move and start fresh.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bethany 😊

Congrats on one week. Im just into week 3 (although I joined SR 1.5 years ago...don't ask!!!!). Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Bethany and welcome!

You are in a safe place with folks that care!

Have a great day... one day at a time!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love the SR community. One thread that I really loved and learned from was the One Year and Under thread. Read around; you're bound to enjoy a lot of what you see. There's lots of support and camaraderie, and almost no judgementalism.

I am currently in an online Masters program, too. I just love the freedom of studying online! I hope it brings you a lot of joy.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to SR!! I am glad you are here.....
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bethany; very glad you found us.

Lean on us for support.

We are here for you.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome Bethany!
Old 06-13-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! I might have been about your age - looking back on it- that the first few people tried to bring up problems related to my drinking. Good for you to look at it now. Hope to see you around here!