Notices

Dreams of Drinking

Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams of Drinking

Hi there. I'm not terribly active on SR these days. IOP has been going well, and I have my doctor involved in my recovery. I haven't had a drink since January 27, and in all honesty, I rarely think about it any more. It's such a relief to not have that constant obsession of drinking.

Which leads me to my question... Has anyone else experienced sudden dreams of relapse a few months into recovery? I don't recall having such dreams previously, but just in the past week, I've had two of them. The most recent one was so vivid that when I woke up, it took me several minutes to actually convince myself that I hadn't relapsed. It was very scary and disturbing to me.

I'm not having thoughts of relapse, which makes this all so odd to me.

Anyway, any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had drinking dreams in the first few weeks, rather than the first few months, but I think everyone gets them SoberLifeForMe.

I tried not to let them unsettle me

I had recurring dreams about high school for years - doesn't mean I wanted to go back there

D
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reassurance, Dee. I definitely don't want to go back to drinking (or to high school, for that matter).
Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am just 0ver 16 months in active recovery. I had a booze dream 2 nights ago. Then the next night- the same f.cking dream picked up from where it left off- not a repeat- but finishing the damn thing. I know people who are 15 years sober that get them. While we sleep- the brain plays.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Phoenix. Glad to know I'm not out of the ordinary on this.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i got em quite often in early recovery- meaning the first 6 months.
what would drive me nuts is how vivid they were. few times i woke up not knowing where i was, only to find myself in my own bed.
one i still remember like it was yesterday-
going to an old hangout to shoot pool. all was good and i wasnt drinkin. but then i got a beer. took a drink, then said,"uhoh." i still remember, in the dream, i knew i blew sobriety AND that i was going to be off and running and worse than before. woke up shortly after taking the first drink.
12+ years in, ill get one from time to time.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have dreams of drinking almost every week, I'm about 4 months sober now. While they are a bit unpleasant, I'm grateful for them. They remind me that even though I rarely think about alcohol and have no cravings, my relationship with the stuff is def not normal. Normal people don't dream like that! Those dreams serve as a warning that the monster is still alive in me and just needs to be fed to wake up with full force.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am only 1 week sober and I had a dream I drank a couple nights ago. I was so relieved to wake up and find myself sober!!!! I remember after I quit smoking 22 years ago that I would often have dreams where I smoked, but I don't get them any more.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm over seven years sober and get them once in a while. They don't bother me anymore as I know I'm sober for good and my dreams aren't real.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have dreams every few days where I accidentally relapse. I'm over 2 months now.

And these dreams always involve me drinking Budweiser.

Not that I hate Bud, but man, you think my subconscious could be a little more creative.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments.