Notices

DUI on Friday - Day 2 Sober

Old 06-11-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI on Friday - Day 2 Sober

No choice now but to quit alcohol completely. I guess the last 20 years or so have been leading up to this. I got lucky that I never got in serious trouble before or given a pass if I was a drunken idiot by friends, family, and police .
I got kicked out of a concert because I was being a drunk. I was told to call a friend and get home . Instead I got in my car in the parking lot and pulled over within 30 seconds by the same security and police at the event . I had no plans to drive in that state but was angry that I was kicked out and just wanted to head home . My friend was still inside but drove separately . Being dunk didn't even think to just call him .

Now who knows what happens now. Got an attorney and a court date in a few weeks. Praying the pentaly is not too severe and a plea can be worked out.
Regardless , it was the wake up call I needed and I know I can't drink anyone without it controlling my life in an awful way .
Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hopefully this adversity turns into a blessing for you.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Frost04z. A DUI is certainly an eye-opener, glad to hear you did not injure anyone or worse and that you made it out safe. The penalties are what they are, sounds like you already have an attorney so that will aid you in the process.

Have you given any thoughts as to what you might do to make sobriety work this time? Consequences themselves aren't usually the best motivator as they will go away at some point. A DUI is a very serious one of course, but we all know some people get multiple. Not suggesting you will of course, just illustrating the point that consequences don't always guarantee sobriety.

You will find a lot of support and understanding here, hope you can stick around!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you join us, Frost. I'm sorry for what brings you here.

I had a dui about 15 yrs. ago (State of Delaware). It was my first one so I was considered a first time offender & got a suspended license, a fine, and I had to take a course that cost $600.00. I had my license back in about 6 mos. I wish I could say that stopped me from drinking. Maybe you'll be wiser. I finally admitted years later that every time it was in my system, unexpected & dangerous things happened. It's no way to live. Glad you are ok and no one was hurt. I hope you'll keep reading & posting.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Frost - welcome to the boards - you'll find a lot of support here.

I know I can't drink anyone without it controlling my life in an awful way .
Thats a good level of acceptance to start on

D
Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very glad you didn't injure anyone else or yourself. Consider yourself lucky!

I'm glad you decided that you want to stop drinking and live a sober life. You will find lots of support here.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Frost, I'm glad you are here, great place to learn to be sober, through your own postings of how you are doing . By some sheer chance I never got a DUI , scared crazy by my husbands DUI so then drank at home and missed lots of gatherings. Now I can go anywhere at anytime and even feel well the next day. Stay in touch here!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Frost! I'm glad you did not hurt yourself or someone else the other day. You may want to look into a program, it will help with court, and also help you get started on sobriety.

This is also a wonderful site for support, looking forward to seeing you on here.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you'll learn from this that any drinking is too much for you. I too am glad no one was hurt from your DUI. That is truly a blessing. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have lot to learn about staying sober and will frequent this site anytime I have an urge to drink. I've always been a weekend drinker and stay sober during the work week. If I only I could have had that same discipline all seven days . I know I can stop drinking for the next several weeks and then trick myself into thinking I'm ok again. That's when I need to seek help and not hide it .
Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Frost! Like everyone else said, stay close to SR! Hugs!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Frost- I got a DUI too. It sucks! Hopefully you learn from it and find sobriety now. The next time you may not be so lucky. Someone here mentioned getting into a program before you go to court...it's a good idea! The judge will see that you are taking the incident seriously, it might help your case.

Stay close to SR. We're here to support you.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Or you can start attending AA meetings and have the secretary at the end of the meeting write the name, date and time of meeting and signature and show this attendance to judge.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had 2..The first one was a month from falling off my record,when I got my 2nd.. It was a wake up call for me,both times but, with the 2nd I was ordered to attend AA meetings as part of my punishment. I still go to meetings when I 'need a tune up'. My case is now behind me but, it was a year from hell leading up to my court date!
Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Frost....you can stay sober by reading and posting here often. There is a lot of support here. It can be difficult in the beginning, but it gets easier. You never have to get another DUI.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 3 , up early and will head to work for a long and hopefully productive day. Meeting with attorney this afternoon to get a better dea of what is next. I'm really struggling with having no control over the situation. I gave up that right on Friday and been depressed all weekend. It will be uncomfortable hiding this secret at work. Especially since stress from work was the main trigger for my drinking. I just need to put that aside and concentrate on doing a decent job and time passes and outlook improves.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Frost. I hope the supportt offered by the great people here help you as much it is helping me.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Welcome, Frost. I didn't accept that I needed to quit for good until I got my 3rd DUI. The first was a slap on the wrist. The second one also was, because it had been so long of a period of time between the two. The third - well, that was a different story. No one got hurt in any of mine. I hope you can avoid the pain of another DUI, by getting and staying sober. I was able to reduce my jail time a WHOLE LOT on my last DUI by going to treatment, and attending a lot of AA meetings leading up to my court date. If this is your first DUI, you probably won't be ordered to do what I did. And perhaps you don't need treatment. Your lawyer can give you advice on what steps you can take to minimize the consequences of this. Most likely, you will not be able to get out of it completely. But there may be things you can do in order to mitigate things somewhat. BUT - please take this seriously. Don't go down the road I went down - and many others here. This is a big wake-up call for you. Don't hit the snooze alarm. Get up, face it, and do what it takes to make sure it never happens again.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
. Now I can go anywhere at anytime and even feel well the next day.
This is the best part of sobriety for me. If one of my kids or my friends needs me for an emergency, I can be available at any time of day, any day. This was simply not true when I was drinking.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Frost. I hope your day at work & meeting with attorney went well.