Notices

New here and just starting my new life.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and just starting my new life.

Hey all glad to have found this web site because this is my first time going sober. I wasn't the type of drunk who woke up and looked that first drink. To be honest it grossed me out! But ounce evening set in, I'd start drinking eff very night till most cases I'd black out. Waking up not know how I got to bed ect.. people taking funny pics of me passed out on floore or go to turn radio up in car onlyto.psss out slumped over seat ect.. it was embarrassing! I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest. I'm not craving alcohol yet. The part that scares me is not knowing what to do in the evening's. For years I've always been sedated and now it's like a whole new world and I'm not sure how to handle it. I'm keeping busy till I fall asleep. But sometimes that can be 2am or later unless I take something. But I'm bored and start thi king about that glass of wine.
What have some of you done to occupy yourselves? Any ideas are welcome but more than anything is knowing have anyone else felt this way at night? And what can I expect in the coming days/weeks? Especially after blacking out so many times and for about 4 years of drinking that heavy? Any incite would be appreciated as I start this rebuilding of myself and my life. Thanks all!!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on here. Making plans for the time you would have been drinking helps, especially in the beginning. Go to the gym, take a class, plan to meet up with friends to walk, binge watch a series on Netflix, anything to keep you occupied.

I also spent a lot of time on here as well. Join the June 2017 class, you will have the support of others who also decided to commit or recommit to sobriety this month. Also, pop into the 24 hour thread and check in every day.

Glad you are here.
You can do this.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on this decision! I was that type of drinker too; always blacking out, disappearing and leaving friends to worry I might literally be dead this time. I hated it but could not figure out how to not drink like that. So the only option is to not drink at all, ever.

I exercise a lot, go for walks, and make it a point to get together with friends when I'm feeling down or lonely/vulnerable. Find an AA meeting and get some numbers - it seems weird at first, but they've all been there too. That way I check in with these people and remain accountable. A sponsor is great for that.

On that note, know that you have to do the legwork. Sometimes it seems juvenile or pointless, but there's real purpose in it. It's worked for millions worldwide! And it's so freeing to feel that you are not alone. Post on here and read up on the knowledge and experience - there's a lot of it here!

Congratulations again :-) you can do this
Old 06-10-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also would like to add quickly that I wasn't the kind of drinker who woke up groping around for the bottle. In fact I wouldn't have dreamed of it.... At first. Then I did it once, and felt awful. Then each time I did it, it became more and more normal. Then I wouldn't think twice about it.

This is a progressive disease... It can always get worse. Good for you on deciding to quit all together!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome drumming - great to have you here.

I drank the way you describe - for years. Eventually that pattern of drinking led me to every day & even all day drinking. I never dreamed that could ever happen to me. I'm glad you've taken a look at what drinking is doing to your life.

I was restless in the first weeks of getting sober. It's uncomfortable for a while, but that phase passed, & now I'm not sure how I had time to drink for hours each day. I read & posted here a lot in the beginning - the encouragement really helped with my anxiety.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi drummingoverto,

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here. You will find a lot of support and information here.

What to expect? Everyone is different, so it's hard to advise how you will react. In general, the first week is usually the hardest. Some people become nauseous, shaky, irritable, lethargic, headaches and sleep patterns are disturbed. During this time it's important to stay hydrated and full. The most positive reaction you will have immediately is waking up every morning without a hangover! After the withdrawal period the cravings become more intense (they did for me). We call it our AV (Addictive Voice). Once we begin to feel better, the AV tries to trick us into thinking that we can drink again. Having a solid recovery program helps us fight off our AV. You can find more information on different programs in the Stickys (above).

What to do to replace the times when you would normally drink? The first few weeks I kept myself busy by developing a new routine...nothing changes without change. I started eating healthy (unless I had a major craving and needed something sweet), began taking vitamins, got some form of exercise daily, took lots of showers, watched lots of Netflix, revisited old hobbies I put aside when I was drinking and spent time reading and learning about this disease (either here on SR or books). Again, there are a lot of suggestions in the Stickys.

A month into my sobriety I began to see a therapist. Talking to him, coupled with spending a lot of time here on SR helped me continue to develop my recovery plan. I'm over 100 days sober and I haven't felt this good in many years. Trust me, you will not regret making this change in your life!

Take a look around the site. There's a lot of information here to assist you with your recovery plan. I hope you will get as much out of SR as I have.

Take care!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and it is a hard adjustment in early recovery, but we have some good ideas:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 06-10-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi drummingoverto,

Like you I try to keep occupied in the evenings, but I am lucky I suppose that I have been feeling so exhausted (like OTT) over the last 2 weeks that I fall asleep straight away. This may sound a bit basic but what kind of bedtime routine do you have? Would having a bath before bed with relaxing scented bubble bath help? There's herbal teas which proclaim to aid sleep. I fall asleep listening to fiction audio books and find that if I'm listening to the story my mind is not going round and round thinking or worrying about 'stuff'.

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. This website can help you start a new life.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys! It is so nice to see that ur not alone! I mean you 'know' ur not but it's different when you see it! Thanks for the link as well. I've been probing around and doing some research as well. I'm excited and yet nervous as well. Thank you so much for ur guys insite with own personal experiences. Every little. It help. Especially the warning of the temptations soon to come. I hope to continue to be a part of this community as I move forward with this very important decision I've made for myself. Ok off to bed and again thanks guys. 😀
Old 06-10-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WELCOME! What to do/ Write a list of stuff (however silly it seems) of stuff you have always wanted to do- but have not. Then do one......SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Outside the safety zone of isolation...
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, drumming! It helped me to change up my routine. It had become so commonplace to come home from work and pour a glass of wine. I started making some decaf coffee or tea and taking myself outside to do some gardening instead or play ball with the pooches, or......?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the community drummingoverto

D