Notices

fathers day, I remember

Old 06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fathers day, I remember

Yeah, I remember my father well.
I remember him slapping me around for no reason thinking it was funny. I remember him using his military belt beating the hell out of me for something I didn't know I did. Those strap beating were frequent.
I remember him calling out my name, and me pissing in my pants knowing I was in trouble but didn't know why.
I remember him shoving my underpants in my face when I was maybe six cause I messed in my pants cause we were at a bar and he was too busy to take care of me.
I remember the physical and emotional pain he inflicted on me and the rest of my family.
I remember my planning on killing him with a rifle I had to relieve my and my families pain, and run away with a suitcase of stuff into the woods in the back of my house.
Luckily, my parents divorced or I would of killed him.
On the bright side, I had everything I needed. A house, food, clothes and Christmas was a gold mine for some reason. And most of all, a great mother. I miss my mother very much. John
Old 06-09-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to go through that John.

I'm glad you survived and that you were able to be the right kind of male role model to your students over the years

D
Old 06-10-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, John. Your story breaks my heart. I hope you have found some peace with this.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry John,
My dad was a real winner too. All we can do is wake up everyday and be better people then they were. Sorry about your mom.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am really sorry you went through that John

I hope you can find some comfort in that, you are not alone in this grief and trauma for what was and wasn't, that you are a stronger person because of it, a survivor, and I'm glad you are able to find some positive in all the pain of the past.
Sometimes it's really hard and it takes a lot of work but we really can take some good lessons and strength from these horrible things that happen to us. It took me a long time, a lot of work with people who had walked the walk and were qualified to help and a lot of soul searching before I was able to move past a lot of it and realized it didn't define me.
You sound like you are well on your way, and I hope you can have pride in who you are today and how far you have come in life from those terrible beginning years.
Sending you love and strength
I know these holidays can be hard for a lot of us.
Del
Old 06-10-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a sucky story. Violence of any kind on the innocent is crap. Are you at peace over this?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah yes, dear old dad. First one to take me to bar at age twelve. Beat my brother senseless.
I did almost shoot him one day when he was beating our dog for no reason.
A drunk and a loser.
I didn't attend his funeral and if he died again tomorrow I wouldn't go to that one either.
I feel for you, friend.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you had to go through that John.

I'm glad you survived and that you were able to be the right kind of male role model to your students over the years

D
The good thing about my childhood was that I could relate to what a lot of my students were going through. It helped me to connect with them in ways that others' might not of been able to. Kind of like paying it forward. They were all good kids in a tough situation, just like me. John
Old 06-10-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, John, for those painful experiences and for those painful memories.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
What a sucky story. Violence of any kind on the innocent is crap. Are you at peace over this?
Yeah, I'm fine with it today. I'm probably a better for it in some ways but will always wonder how things could of been different if what I went through was different. But we all feel that way in our own way. All I know is that despite my past I am a good person trying to do good things. That's all any of us can hope for. John
Old 06-10-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The only thing that bothers me today because of my childhood other then the anxiety and depression that usually accompanies this sort of upbringing is the difficulty I have forming emotional attachments. Just never learned how to do this. With the work I used to do, I'd see kids having a good time with their fathers. I always wondered what that must feel like. It was almost like observing something from a different world if that makes sense. Kinda like visiting a country with a whole different culture. Strange feeling. John
Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think we're ever too old to learn new ways John

D
Old 06-10-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so sad and sorry for all you had to endure, John. I'm glad you are willing and able to talk about it now. Much love to you.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think we're ever too old to learn new ways John

D
I don't know about that Dee. This dog is pretty old and has always been a slow learner, but who knows. John