Notices

trying to move forward

Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to move forward

Well, I've talked about my isolation here for a long time. I feel pretty much isolated and alone but have made some little steps trying to move forward. I joined a group on meetups.com and am looking into another. The problem with that one is they need a picture and I have no clue how to do that. I sent a message to them about this but haven't heard back yet. Also, I got an e-mail about some local social activities for people my age in my area. Completed the required profile, but again, their asking for a picture. Might have to end up getting hold of Toshiba to figure this out. Shouldn't be this hard. A long time ago when I was plastered and playing on my computer, I found a way to take a picture of myself but don't know how I did it. Trust me; that's not a picture I want to share with others.
In the meantime; I booked a three-day stay on a beach that has a great festival going on. Progress is slow, but it's still progress.
Next week, I'll force myself to go to the local AA meeting. I'll quietly sit in a corner and observe. Can't believe I will do this considering the problems I've had before with AA, but it did help me to stay sober. The people where I live now are much nicer so maybe things will be different. Besides, living like this is not worth living. Maybe the 50th time is the charm. John
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great that you are making steps to be more social and to get yourself out there, it for sure can make life much more enjoyable to be around other like minded people.
Also taking a photo of yourself is pretty simple with any smartphone, and even the old ones have a camera on them. If you still can't figure it out, i'm sure someone at AA could do it for you!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((John))) I hope you can connect with others who may turn out to be friends.

As far as pictures, it took me a while to find out how to upload a picture and post it somewhere. But if I can do it, technodummy that I am, surely you can too.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
That's great that you are making steps to be more social and to get yourself out there, it for sure can make life much more enjoyable to be around other like minded people.
Also taking a photo of yourself is pretty simple with any smartphone, and even the old ones have a camera on them. If you still can't figure it out, i'm sure someone at AA could do it for you!
LOL. I know how to take a picture of myself on my phone, but to transfer it to a computer and then to a website just boggles my mind. How does one devise have anything to do with the other? Just don't get it. Trust me, I'm much more up on how things work, but this is just beyond my brain power. You are talking to a person that has albums of old pictures taken with polaroids. I'm a dinosaur. A nice friendly dinosaur, but still a dinosaur LOL. Sometimes, I think I need someone to drop by from time to time to help me keep up on life!!!! Funny stuff. If it wasn't for me working with kids, I'd probably have no idea what's going on. John
Old 06-09-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t have a webcam, so I take a pic with my phone or my digital camera, I hook it up to my PC with the cord that comes with such things (one end into the phone or camera, the other USB end into the PC) and transfer it that way (it comes up with prompts for me as to what to do).

rockin' it old school
D
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually, I find this kinda funny. All I am looking for is to find people to hang with. It was easy as a kid or when I was going to college, but now it's a process. Nowadays , you have to go on-line and complete a profile including a picture. To join any group, you now have to go through this process. It's no wonder so many people feel alone. John
Old 06-09-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great news John, I love meet up...I joined several years ago and have made some some lovely friends, I am a member of several groups. I particularly like my local meetup group, and the theater group, I love live theater and I have made some great friends and attend many theater productions.
Good luck with the pic, on the meet up site there is a mobile app, if you download the App to your phone it could help you uploading the pic directly from your cell phone to the site.
Alternatively attach your phone to the computer, via the USB cord , double click the phone icon when it appears and download your photo to your desktop. You can upload from there.
I don't know if this helps but as Forward 12 suggests someone from AA could help.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don;t have a webcam, so I take a pic with my phone or my digital camera, I hook it up to my PC with the cord that comes with such things (one end into the phone or camera, the other USB end into the PC) and transfer it that way (it comes up with prompts for me as to what to do).

rockin' it old school
D
I think I can do that!! I have a camcorder that gives instructions on how to transfer pictures to my PC. I know how to take a picture of myself on my phone and it also has some cord that connects to my PC to upload pictures. DUH. Now I just gotta find those cords. Once I figure out how to do this; I just might sign up for other meetup groups and once they see just how good looking I am, the invitations will keep coming (just kidding). Nighty night Dee. John
Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries John - glad I could help

D
Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On my phone, if I open the photo on my phone and tap on it at the top of the screen I get (amongst other things) a little icon that is like a tilted capital L, or one dot on the left with 2 little lines coming out of it to two little dots on the right.
When I tap that icon (which symbolises' share' the picture) one of the options is to send it by email. I then usually email the picture to myself. Then I can go on my laptop, open the email and save the picture that way.

Bit of a circuitous route, but like you, I'm not massively techno-savvy.

If this doesn't work on your phone, perhaps google the issue by typing into the Google search bar 'your phone name transferring photo to computer'. Good old Google has come up with the goods for me on many occasions.

BB
Old 06-10-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

An easier way is to take the picture on the phone and email it to yourself. Then view the email on the computer

Or do the sign up process from the phone, where the picture is.

I don't know how old you are but here there are seniorcenters and community colleges where you can take classes for self growth. That might be interesting.