Notices

Question for those sober long-term

Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question for those sober long-term

Do health problems associated with alcohol like cancer risk and dementia subside over time just like how the liver repairs itself? I drank heavily for about 5 years and while no major health problems now, just wondering if the damage is already done? Or could I live to be an old lady with a sharp mind and no major medical issues. In my 30s now and taking steps to stop now while I am capable.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honestly it is different for everyone! But with healthy living and staunch sobriety you are on your way. I am a nurse and have seen many come through here and make it to the other side. You can too!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if we can undo the damage we've done to ourselves while drinking. All we can really do is to stop and make healthy decisions from here on.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi All... long term drinking and drugs and age.. well I guess Iam the best to answer that....
Eddie Lee started Weed at 9 years of age. drinking at 10 and hard durgs at 14... he dropped it all in 1992 when he met me.. at the age of 37.. subtract 9 from 37 and that is how many years he had been abusing his mind and body...
now at 62.. he is more stable today because of my ability to doc everything in the last 26 years and look up all of his family history going back 10o years.. no kidding.. I could write such a book...

1. You have to know that this is not going to get better in 100 days 50 days or 10 days..
2. the damage you have done to so much of your body and system will take as much if not more time to correct itself because of the length of time you did it in..
3. and then your own Family DNA.. what did you have in you at birth.. what did Mom do and what did Dad give you in that DNA chain of life....
4. learn the signs of problems in your own behavior.. voice thoughts traits..
this will help so much.. have someone tape you on a great day of the best you.. and when you have become the Monster again. have that person play that great video and realize what you are missing..
5. Good things take as much time to happen as bad things..
my Eddie Lee is just such a poster child of what not to do to yourself..

me.... I never smoked anything. but was around a lot of second hand.. drank to excess and now pay for it in spams of my left leg to foot.. know that one day I will not have that foot for feeling. and will have to take care.. have had 2 small strokes.. know that my brain is having some problems that can not be fixed.. kids I am 67 years old and love my Grand Mothers that I carry so much of inside of me.. my Grand Mother Frieda lost her sight because of small strokes.. and then her ability to walk.. but her mind of the day and time was spot on... so I do know what I am walking into... and the darkness does not make me afraid. for my sense of smell and hearing is becoming sharper..

just want my Eddie Lee to be the best for a while that we have.. that sometimes is all you can hope for .... Just a While longer.......

well I have wandered again. Old Ladies do that hahaaha Laugh come on. now.. for most of you are younger. and will see so much of the years to come.. and one day you will say. Hey that Silly Old Lady Clown was right. Love and prayers ardy
Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

While it's nice to think about how your sixties are going to be impacted by getting sober, 60 is a long way away. Tomorrow can be impacted by being sober today. That's the immediacy--being sober now.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Babescake

I'm sure I'll be in a better place at 60 having quit at 40, than if I'd quit today at 50.

Noone knows whats ahead - alcoholic or not - but I'm in the best place I can be to deal with anything sober - and wouldn't have exchanged the last ten years for anything

Long life and good health to us both, hey?

D