Somewhat O/T - Child's Medical Form

Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somewhat O/T - Child's Medical Form

Hello, Friends, and Happy Friday!

Sorry to bust in and post my own question when I haven't had time to help out others, but something came up the other day, and I'd like your input.

DS had his annual checkup (he's doing great!). But, the office just joined a larger network of physicians and I had to fill out paperwork, yet again. One of the forms asked for his and family health history. One of the sections was psychologically-related, and asked about: depression, substance abuse, etc. Well, AW is an A, has a history of depression and PTSD, and her mother is an A, depressed, has anxiety, and former Rx drug abuser.

Because I knew she would look over the form once she got to the doc's office, I left it blank. But I don't feel right about it, because I am not giving his medical providers a full picture. DS is not in physical harm because I am home every night, and make sure I am home no later than 8:30. AW has been doing a touch better with depression since she got her new job last November - but the history is there, and always will be.

Should I call the doc office and revise the form? Should I sit down with the doc and explain what's going on? I certainly don't want to raise any flags that there is any abuse in the house, because there is not.

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Love you guys!

COD
Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey COD! i don't really have any brilliant or thought-provoking to reply to your question, but gosh it's good to see you!

i do see the conflict with reporting the addiction history since AW has access to the file. i would probably take the easier softer route and report the family history of depression only.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I would call the doctor's office later and have them add that information to the form. Should something (God forbid) crazy happen in the future, it will be easier to put the pieces together if they have all the information . ex: Should DS develop any form of anxiety or depression, the doctors will have a clearer picture to help treat him.

It should be noted that I don't have children so I'm not sure what exactly I would do in your situation but as of right now that's just my opinion
Old 06-09-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^ Anvil makes a very valid point!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*I* would revise the forms & explain that I'm dealing with an addict in denial. JMHO

Not filling them in to the best of your knowledge to begin with was extremely Codie, right? Essentially AW's feelings were more important than honesty in DS's medical history.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was AW all right with omitting those questions? Did she offer any further input?

You are in a hard situation and since DS is doing great I would think at this time there is no need to go back and add anything. Moving forward if DS shows signs of anything that may be related to stress, anxiety from AW’s drinking, depression then might be a good time to have a heart to heart with the health care provider regarding AW medical history.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also don't have kids, so take this with a grain of salt...

but...I think its a really good idea to be honest on ANY medical form. And I don't think substance abuse immediately flags child abuse...so,

I don't see the conflict with putting substance abuse, PTSDand depression on the form, even if AW sees it. There IS history there with DS's mom and grandmother.

Xabf heard me tell a friend that living with alcoholism was difficult and I thought I was getting depressed once. I didn't know he was in earshot...and he didn't talk to me for 3 days...but honesty helped ME, and it could help your son if he ever needed it.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Was AW all right with omitting those questions? Did she offer any further input?

You are in a hard situation and since DS is doing great I would think at this time there is no need to go back and add anything. Moving forward if DS shows signs of anything that may be related to stress, anxiety from AW’s drinking, depression then might be a good time to have a heart to heart with the health care provider regarding AW medical history.
Not every category was filled out because many of them didn't apply, so I left them blank. She knows her mother has problems, but refuses to face those as well, so if I put them down, she would have taken that as an attack to her mother (because deep down she knows she's like her mother).
Old 06-09-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would fill out the form, or if he has a follow up ask for a revised form if he has a follow up in the future.

I know my DD's doctor requires us to fill one out every single time. Ugh. It gets pretty old.

Hope you are doing well!!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She knows her mother has problems, but refuses to face those as well, so if I put them down, she would have taken that as an attack to her mother (because deep down she knows she's like her mother
I dunno COD, I understand your reservations, (and Lord knows I remember xabf's reactions - ugg) but it seems to me that her reaction to what IS, falls in the "not your hula-hoop" category.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I asked my own doctor not to record the alcoholism in my chart. She knows it, but I am fairly mistrustful of insurance companies and others--HIPAA notwithstanding.

I think I would call the doctor and say that you want to be honest about the medical history but would prefer not to have certain things recorded. There's a good chance he'd go along with that. Honestly, at this age, unless he starts displaying worrisome symptoms (depression, self-harm, any of which can manifest at a young age) there probably is nothing in the family history that would affect any treatment of anything. So you aren't putting him at any risk by not putting it in there. If it ever becomes pertinent you can remind the doctor.

Nobody's going to investigate anything due to a family history of mental illness or addiction.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd go with "call your doctor separately and ask for a note to be added to your son's file". Doctors are privy to all kinds of embarrassing information. And in terms of worrying about being flagged for possible abuse in the home (which is not the case) - I think it would be worse if, God forbid, something did happen involving your son and it came out that you had kept this information out of his medical records.

I also can't see how the grandmother's history is really relevant, so I'd just stick with the mother's.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do this sort of thing for a living. Substance use or mental illness absolutely does NOT trigger a CPS call. What it should trigger is a conversation. This is a conversation to have on the phone or face to face with the doctor or a registered nurse, not a message to pass through a medical assistant. But it is relevant and worth disclosing. You might even find you have another line of support, should you want it.