Notices

Broke my sobriety :(

Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broke my sobriety :(

I broke it, my sobriety. I drank today and yesterday . I think I went out today, I fell asleep when I got home and my Mom woke me up. It was like I didn't even know what happened to my afternoon. I am feeling better now, but I do feel ashamed of myself for breaking my sobriety. I just want your support to get me off of alcohol.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Whopper

what had you been doing for your recovery?

D
Old 06-08-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Whopper

what had you been doing for your recovery?

D
Hi Dee. I was working my way back to getting a job. I was trying to stay sober and have a clear mind to fit myself back into the working world. I have been using this site for support. This site and its members have been a tremendous support for me. I know and admit my downfall has been my loneliness, I can only get so far in life being alone. Then when the weekends comes I want to go out and do things. Cottage, boating, fishing, hunting, clubbing, just doing what everyone else does. I feel left out being a loner and it leads me back to drink.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can still do all those things, just minus alcohol. If triggers, you might not be able to for a bit. I am right there with you. Doing good until I am not.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
You can still do all those things, just minus alcohol. If triggers, you might not be able to for a bit. I am right there with you. Doing good until I am not.
I also do feel sad since my cousin visited recently. My other cousins kids visited years ago. 2 boys. They were a bit troubled but I didn't see any of that, I took them out everywhere. I did everything as a uncle to make them happy. Then when my cousin visited yesterday those memories came back to me. One of the boys killed himself, my cousin confirmed it yesterday. That broke my heart. His brother is in rehab and is struggling with leading a normal life. Theses things disturb me, and I cannot help but feel sad and want to drink. They live in another country and I feel helpless. If I was there, I could have changed things, changed the outcome, saved his life. I know I could have made a difference, I know it, I just do.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Whopper, I'm glad you posted. I'm so sorry about your cousin's son. Good that the other boy is in rehab though. Please take care of your own precious life and stay sober. The world needs you.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Whopper,

You may consider using AA as a format if you have trouble w your sobriety.

AA has a time proven method. SR support alone works for some, but not all.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss too but I can't see the sense in blaming yourself. You;re not a trained counsellor or anything.

Often times there really are no apparent signs.

I know the default for any kind of tragedy is to go drink and try and forget - but there are other ways of handling grief, healthier ways .

If life is lonely, why not check out the local AA meets, (or SMART or Lifering)?

would it be so bad to make some new friends who know the struggle you're going through?

D
Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. Echo the others about getting onto a formal program - the other stuff like mending family relationships, work, exercise, anything and everything come after the decision to quit, full stop.

Have you looked at the Class of June thread here under Newcomers Daily Support Threads? I'm also one to suggest AA. Took me years to accept it was the place for me, and when I was finally DONE drinking, it has saved my life.

Hope to see you around - posting, not just reading! Welcome.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry you drank, whopper, but glad you're right back here. Lot of good advice already given in this thread--remember you don't have to do this alone. SR is here 24/7 and there are great recovery meetings held daily all around the globe. Stick close, post often, and remember to ask for help before you take that first drink.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you Whopper?

D
Old 06-09-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whopper, I am so very sorry about the loss of your nephew. Sometimes it seems like there is so much sadness in life. It might be helpful for you to start a Gratitude Journal. I have used that tool from time to time and it does help.