VERY URGENT, serious staff infection in jail

Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

VERY URGENT, serious staff infection in jail

My son has developed a staff infection that is spreading up his leg. The jail won't do anything of course. Who can I talk to tonight to get him the help he desperately needs? I talked to the jail who said, "you have to wait for the nurse tomorrow."
He needs help now, not tomorrow.
Who can I call?
Thank you for your input.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You can call a lawyer. That's about the only way to force the jail to do anything.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know our prison is staffed with medical 24/7. You never know what will go down at any given moment. I'm surprised there is no medical team there over night if someone were to have a heart attack, diabetic shock, celly stabbing or drug overdose (Yes there are drugs in prisons and jails)!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most correction facilities have 24/7 medical staff - at least an LPN
Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, I totally realize there are emergency medical staff 24/7. The problem here seems to be the jail's providing that. As I said--lawyer.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If no medical staff, how does he know it's a Staph infection that is spreading up his leg?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
If no medical staff, how does he know it's a Staph infection that is spreading up his leg?
I was wondering that, myself.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And the jail staff allowing him to call Mom about it.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Phone calls are allowed unless someone is on some kind of disciplinary restriction.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Phone calls are allowed unless someone is on some kind of disciplinary restriction.
If they are withholding medical care for some as yet unknown reason, I doubt they'd allow them to call out and talk about it.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your only option is to get call a lawyer. The jail won't listen to you or your son.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

*is to call

not "to get call" lol, I'm not awake yet
Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what city are you in .. call your local tv station and set up an interview asap.. call the Mayor call the Sheriff's Department and Call the Gov Office of your State.. this is what they are screaming about all over the USA.. problems with medical care of the inmates now its your Son.. your Child.. and Mom you need to step up hard and fast .. if this is the Baby you need to care for .. and another thing.. he is in for .. I don't care what .. Time to be the Mom and let him know he is not able to care for himself.. if you are going to relay on others to care for your Child You need to Step up and do your Job as Mother NOW not later.. I did and my Son is an Army Chaplin Assistant as I would not allow him to wander in the Dark.. Time to be the Mother you always feared.. and show the World and your Son.. You are the True Hearted Mother that Carried and gave birth and cared for that Son..... sorry.. but have to be hard to have something happen positive for this kid....a Mom in Milwaukee WI

Originally Posted by SpaghettiBender View Post
My son has developed a staff infection that is spreading up his leg. The jail won't do anything of course. Who can I talk to tonight to get him the help he desperately needs? I talked to the jail who said, "you have to wait for the nurse tomorrow."
He needs help now, not tomorrow.
Who can I call?
Thank you for your input.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If they are withholding medical care for some as yet unknown reason, I doubt they'd allow them to call out and talk about it.
Calls are recorded, but they don't ask someone why they are calling somebody, and nobody is standing and listening to stop them.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Calls are recorded, but they don't ask someone why they are calling somebody, and nobody is standing and listening to stop them.
I don't think I made my point very well.

Try it this way.

IF they are withholding medical care, they would obviously be in hot water as a result. The last thing they'd let happen is to allow them to call out to talk to anyone about it. So they'd withhold the call privileges citing "probably disciplinary action" or insert purpose here.

The fact that he is calling to complain to mommy that he has an urgent staff infection, wouldn't seem to be something they'd overlook and allow him to do. They'd simply not allow him to call if they were being negligent in this life threatening circumstance.

And I am NO WAY saying that the jail is doing this.

I'd like to hear how he knows he has this dire infection before I'd send in the National Guard.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've represented prisons. Medical care is not withheld for disciplinary reasons. IF it is being withheld, it's because they either don't see it as an emergency OR they are just not properly caring for the inmates. If they simply don't care, they wouldn't care enough to withhold his telephone privileges.

I know quite a bit about jail/prison administration. Not that bad things don't happen (and sometimes perpetrated by staff) but what you are suggesting isn't likely.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would let them know I plan to file suit against them if it turns out he was denied medical care.

I hate being that person, but sadly, that is what the police force fear the most these days, and may be the only thing to listen. I would not scream it, I would say it rationally.

FYI....this was posted last night and it says he would see the nurse today, so likely the point is moot by now.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

OK...I will try it this way....a little differently.

I tried to be gentle that didn't work...so here goes.

Lets make sure he has a staph infection first.

We have a boy that wants out of jail and has mommy scared to death he is dying in order to do so. I highly doubt he has staph infection even less likely it is going untreated.

Spaghetti bender is new to the board, with 5 post. I'd be more inclined to think she is being played by her son at this point.

Its now "tomorrow" day time, as this was posted last night. He can easily be visited by mommy or a doctor. Simple enough process.

I'm sure I'll get flamed here.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Inmates get better medical coverage than your average Joe working a full time job to make ends meet.

The prison/jail doesn't care who he calls... as long as they are on the approved list of contacts. They don't get written up a bogus report on an inmate to keep him off the phone because he wants to call his mommy. If you don't like the way jail is run, DON'T GO TO JAIL! If you don't like jail food, DON'T GO TO JAIL! If you don't like taking a sh!t with your celly in the rack with you, DON'T GO TO JAIL!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK...I will try it this way....a little differently.

I tried to be gentle that didn't work...so here goes.

Lets make sure he has a staph infection first.

We have a boy that wants out of jail and has mommy scared to death he is dying in order to do so. I highly doubt he has staph infection even less likely it is going untreated.

Spaghetti bender is new to the board, with 5 post. I'd be more inclined to think she is being played by her son at this point.

Its now "tomorrow" day time, as this was posted last night. He can easily be visited by mommy or a doctor. Simple enough process.

I'm sure I'll get flamed here.
No, I agree with you. My only argument was whether the jail (assuming they weren't providing appropriate care) could/would prevent him from calling someone. THAT is unlikely.

But I would agree that self-diagnosis of something as specific as a staph infection is highly suspect.