Notices

Social media

Old 06-06-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mary2

Social media

I've made a complete idiot of myself on Facebook drunk many times... in sobriety I've deleted it. I'm at the end of day 4 still feel edgy and grubby..
anyway do others delete social media to forget?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 4 Hez. I actually completely disabled my facebook account about 5 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. Even sober so much of what is out there on social media is simply a waste of time that I don't see the need for it. I understand there are some legitimate uses but for the most part it was just another distraction from real life I don't need.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mary2

Yeah it's a time waster for sure and many on mine booze often.. thanks x
Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't count the number of times I woke up at 5 or 6 am and rushed to delete something I had put on social media the night before while drinking wine at my computer. Pitiful. Fortunately never anything truly out of character, mean or embarrassingly awful, but I am very cautious and conservative about what I put on social media, and when inhibitions were down, I'd post more than I ever would in rational sober life.

Yet another example of how alcohol adds nothing to life but complication, heartache, regret, remorse, shame, embarrassment .. on and on.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A little off topic, however I've decided to have a break from social media in the early stages of sobriety. On day one I posted to my FB wall that I was taking a break for a while (simply so people don't try contacting me via FB) and I'm on day 10 now and happy to have not logged in.

I want to give sobriety the best possible shot I can, so the social media hiatus is part of my plan. I don't need to see all the photos of friends/family with pints of beer or glasses of wine at the moment, and I need to focus on my sobriety at the moment instead of wasting hours on FB.

I too have posted things on FB after a few drinks that I wouldn't sober. Like tealily, I'm usually a conscientious and conservative person.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hez... I've done the morning after delete many many times. I'm day 15 today and like time2shineagain am taking a break from FB as just one of the many changes I'm making this time to make this stick. NOT doing another day 1.
Day 4 is awesome... hang in there... we're all in this together.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 4

D
Old 06-06-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"anyway do others delete social media to forget?"
i didnt have a computer when i got sober, but if i did and deleted accounts, it wouldnt have made me forget my past actions. without social media, i had a LOT of crap from my past that haunted me
facing them ,learning from them, and cleaning up the wreckage i left has made it so i can look at everything in my past without TRYING to forget it.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I deleted Facebook years ago, not because I made a fool of myself so much, but because it was a trigger for drinking. People would post how great their relationship was, or I would see someone treating their spouse like I desired. You know it's bad when seeing other people happy and normal....depresses you and sends you to the bottle. I'm still off FB for the same reasons, but I manage my emotions better. Still I don't need the triggers.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Never had a Facebook account! I did enough bad stuff without social media!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had so many accounts I've deleted over the years it's untrue!

I'm now totally FB free!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I deleted a lot of FB stuff, but my big thing was drunk texting. I sent so many drunk texts . . . . so much stuff I regret. I've thrown my phone from a deck into bushes, and had to find it the next morning. Once I even threw my phone into a swimming pool.
Until I got sober, I didn't realize how crazy my moods were. I was crazy. I burned through several relationships. No one wanted to be around me, including myself.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, social media never mixed well with alcohol. I posted loads of stupid words and photos whilst drunk. Cringe when I think about it. Such is the society we live in, when I deleted my fb account I felt like a weirdo and thought I'd become a social leper. Not true. It's still possible to build connections with people like we did in the old days. Chatting on the phone and meeting face to face.

Part of becoming sober, for me, is getting to know the read, authentic me. The me that spent hours reading nonsense on fb, comparing my life to others and trying to get my kids to pose for the perfect photo to post was not authentic. When I was on fb, I spent far too long worrying about what other people thought of me. This was a big trigger.

The void that social media has left in my life is now filled with meaningful stuff. Things I definitely never want to delete. Well done on day 4.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mary2

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm staying off social media it's a drain... day 5 today... still tired and vague no violition for showering etc... hope the fog lifts soon.
Hope u all have a good day xxx
Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fog will lift Hez. Well done on day 5. Nearly one week. Keep going.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I went on my FB and looked through my pictures. No lie...I was drunk/drinking in EVERYONE of them! It was crazy!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I always had a rule for myself that I wouldn't post anything on social media while drinking (which for years was basically every night). I stuck to that for years until I broke it ... and went on a horrible rant against someone over something stupid and completely embarrassed myself. Man that was humiliating. Then I did it again about a year later ... after binging all day. Both times, the next day, I was so embarrassed while deleting my stupidity, knowing that everyone could see what I had written. It really filled me with shame. Good reminder for me that even if I set boundaries for myself while sober, my drunk self can't be trusted to stick to them.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"I always had a rule for myself that I wouldn't post anything on social media while drinking"

Isn't it amazing how that rule fails to come to mind after drinking?

;-)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Mary2

lol it's all keeping up with the Jones on FB and I'm a better mum than you etc... I don't need all that.
I'm fairly positive I will stick with sobriety this time. Drunk life was jading me... I'm not out the woods but trying xxx
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Most rules do!