Notices

getting by...

Old 06-06-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting by...

Im making do and getting by for the most part. I had a bit of a breakdown last night where i got a little down out depressed. The realization that came to mind was all the things I would be losing if i quit drinking. All the parties, friends, poker games, gambling trips, late nights around the fire drinking.

I realize a lot of those things are toxic but it still got me down about not being a part of a lot of those things. Some on mentioned a list of why to get sober so here it goes:

My physical and mental health. I dont think Im too bad off physically but mentally the booze have taken its toll. I hope to rid myself of son of my anxiety which seems to have already decreased a bit.

I hope to quit for whatever family i may have in the future. Who knows what that holds.

I hope to quit for my mom who is constantly worried about me.

I hope to enjoy more of what the world has to offer.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think about this and I think about how we like to think about "missing out". I do believe that along with being sober it is imperative to have a positive outlook on the mission.

Instead of the things that you will miss, think about all that you will gain. You can still stay up late around a fire. You can still play poker. You can go to parties. You can do it all. You can do those things and find the joy in it without alcohol. Life is not some hum drum boring road without partaking in alcohol.

Just a few nights ago, my husband and I were laughing hysterically over cutting his hair. I was having so much fun and laughing so hard that tears were running down my face. It was 100 percent pure joy. It was fun and it was sober.

Mindset. Perspective. Its not a loss.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I think about this and I think about how we like to think about "missing out". I do believe that along with being sober it is imperative to have a positive outlook on the mission.

Instead of the things that you will miss, think about all that you will gain. You can still stay up late around a fire. You can still play poker. You can go to parties. You can do it all. You can do those things and find the joy in it without alcohol. Life is not some hum drum boring road without partaking in alcohol.

Just a few nights ago, my husband and I were laughing hysterically over cutting his hair. I was having so much fun and laughing so hard that tears were running down my face. It was 100 percent pure joy. It was fun and it was sober.

Mindset. Perspective. Its not a loss.
Thank you for your kind words. I know I had fun before I started to drink. I mean I had to have fun before drinking became a big part of my life. I wasnt a dull person and I did things. I just need to figure out what I use to do haha.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you think of losses, how about your life? That stuff will kill you!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Terps,

The more involved you become with your recovery and the longer you're sober, you will begin to feel less like you are "missing out". Living life without alcohol is SO much better than the alternative. Give it some time.