Notices

Cravings

Old 06-05-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

I've now been sober for 9 days (counting today). Some days have been easier than others. I still get cravings every now and then as expected and I just had a question.

Let me start by saying that I fully understand that everyone is different and that no two experiences are identical when talking about recovering from alcohol addiction. However, I was just wondering if anyone is willing to share their individual story as far as how long it took them to overcome the cravings (assuming that even happened in your circumstance). I've heard some people say about 6 months and I've heard other people say it never really went away. What was your experience?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd say around six months sober I had far fewer cravings to drink. Now, at over seven years, I rarely get the urge to drink, and if I do, it is easily dismissed. It gets better the longer you're sober.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me the kind of visceral cravings - the gnawing in the gut, the sweats, the teeth grinding cravings were gone after 3 months - they lessened in intensity and frequency throughout that period tho.

The mental craving - the 'gee, wouldn't it be nice to'... stuff - took a little longer - maybe my first year - but again they lessened in intensity and frequency as time went on.

The important thing is - I didn't give in to any of them.
If I can do it, you can too Lindbain

D
Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me the cravings get a bit weaker everyday. At six months or so it started to be a nuisance more the a craving. Approaching one year now and am rarely bothered by it.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a few days over 7mo and the physical cravings lasted a few days(3-4) mentally I still have the thought of a nice cold beer or two after work or at dinner. Especially strong thoughts of 'what if?' are in my head today.My problem is those couple of beers tonight(or any time) have about an 85% chance of me being eyeballs deep in a bottle of vodka,going through the horrid withdrawls,shame and regret,possibly worse as I've prove in the past,by Sunday or next month/year when I "come to". I simply can not drink anymore and I'm learning to accept that. So, I'm choosing to not risk that for "a couple beers". That's why I come here before I pick up. Without this site I'm 100% sure I'd still be a drunk. My AV has gotten a lot quieter the past few months though. I think it's starting to get the point.

Edit: Let me change that 85% to 100%..I might get away with a "couple", but not for long...I would 100% be drinking full blast in no time flat!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It depends. The sooner you can break from routines that used to lead to drinking (for me, beers after work on production day), the better. Also, I still get the situational urges, though now it's more like Dee said — just a "wouldn't it be nice" sort of feeling. But for me, the improvements I've experienced aren't worth jeopardizing.