Notices

Going to rehab

Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to rehab

I'm on day 1 today, decided I am going a recovery house in the city for a 28 day inpatient program. My fiance kicked me out this weekend and now I'm stuck on my dad's couch. Withdrawal process has started, but the rehab I called says they would like 5 days dry before they take me in. This is going to be my first time in treatment. I'm going to my boss tomorrow to explain that I'm an alcoholic and I need help and might have to leave for a month. Has anyone ever gone up to their employer with a similar situation? I know they can't fire me but I just wondered if maybe they would try and help me right away or just ask me when I would be leaving. Anyway, i will be reading posts on here all night.
Thanks for all you guys share
Kyng
Old 06-04-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

KYNG,
I've never had to tell my employer. I will say that near the end I would have given up everything to get sober. I know that with some sober time everything else seems to work out. Focus on you and your sobriety, it's what's most important. we are here for you.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe ask your employer or someone else if your work offers substance abuse treatment?

Congrats on making the choice to try and get better in your life versus falling further down.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best with your recovery, Kyng. I don't have any advice for you, sorry, just wanted to wish you well. You're making a great choice.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does your employer have an Employee Assistance (EA) program? Would your leave of absence be covered by short term disability insurance or FMLA (If you are in the United States)? You may have to pull out that stack of papers they gave you when you hired on to see what your options are.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The rehab center should be able to give you a medical leave of absence referral to give to your employer. Medical conditions can be left private, especially alcoholism which I personally wouldn't share with an employer.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would definitely try to get a medical leave from the rehab, or go through your Employee Assistance program. I'm glad you are able to stay at your dad's until you go to your program. If you are having serious withdrawal symptoms go to ER, you don't have to suffer through that without help.

Keep checking in here. Looking forward to hearing all about rehab!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good decision Kyng! Sounds like a lot of good advice RE: leave of absence.
I found people to be very understanding RE: me needing help & sure you will too. Be kind to yourself
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 06-04-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck! You are absolutely doing the right thing! You will be in my prayers!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share Kyng, but I'm wishing you the best. Sounds like a good decision

D
Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talked to my boss today and everything went well, he told me i was a valued employee and he would get me papers to make sure I get paid while I'm gone, which is a pretty big relief on it's own. I go for the interview at the recovery center on thursday if I can stay sober, does anyone know if they would take me in right away?
Thanks for the support
Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's great news Kyng, you are extremely lucky to have such an understanding employer. Why not call the treatment center back and ask if they will take you sooner? The worst they can say is no, right? And if the answer is no, ask them if they have any suggestions for groups or other resources to seek help from until thursday. This is possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you, do anything and everything you possibly can to not drink so you can take advantage of it.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Inpatient rehab helped me a lot, Kyng. It allowed to concentrate on my healing without any distractions. It is fortunate that you have an understanding employer. If you have trouble while withdrawing before you get into rehab don't hesitate to go to the ER; they can help you not to suffer so much and make things easier. Wishing you the best.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kyng - I'm so glad you've decided to go. You'll have a fresh start on your life, & you'll be free.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

3 weeks into treatment

Well, I've made it to my halfway point in treatment. This is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Its a 12 step based program and I'm here for 42 days total or more if I need it. Words can't really explain how amazing it feels to be learning this much about both myself, and Alcoholism. Counselors and psychologists here whenever I need them. I've never made it past step 3 on my own in the program before, but now have my step 5 booked for tuesday while I'm in here. It's a safe place with no distractions where I can work the steps with loads of guidance.
Hope you all have an awesome day
Kyng.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're doing well. Distractions in early sobriety can be hard! I was fortunate to be able to 'unplug' from the world for the first few weeks and would only talk to supportive friends,family and other drunks(AA). Hang in there!
Old 07-01-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kyng, what I great update

I also did 42 day inpatient and felt the same way. It was nice to be safe from the world and it's stresses to be sober and work on me and my sobriety.

I wish you smooth sailing til the end and after! Looking forward to hearing that update

Oh, I graduated on Feb 10th from the 6week program.
I am still sober.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you Kyng - so glad all is well!

D
Old 07-01-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Kyng,

I'm glad things are going so well. I look forward to continuing to hear about your program.