TGIF!! Show yourself some love this weekend

Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

TGIF!! Show yourself some love this weekend

It's been waaaaaaaaay too long since we've had a self-care thread.

How are you prioritizing yourself this weekend? Trying anything new? Getting back to old favorites?

If I'm being honest, I've had a couple of great weeks with pretty constant, ongoing self-care activities pretty much every day.... which is why I'm reminding all of you to Make Time For You this weekend.

I did a little retail therapy last week, planned a long weekend with my girlfriends, had a foot massage & acupuncture, scheduled myself for a haircut next week as well as scheduled for all my checkups with my doc & had my bloodwork drawn already. I've been either walking or doing yoga during the sunrise every day this week & just soaking up that early morning silence.

Meditation is now a part of my regular day's activities so I no longer list it here under my reminders for self-care. It's part of Normal.

DD & I have been purging our closets all week & I de-junked my junk drawers/spaces. I cleaned up electronically too - deleting old text & email messages, running antivirus scans & removing old, unused programs, apps & data.

I've been working on some other activities for the weekend, but haven't actually scheduled anything just yet. At the very least, I'm looking at staying home, DIY facial, manicure & pedicure treatments, redbox, Netflix & starting once again to read my favorite trilogy, The Witching Hour.... not so awful!

Anybody else?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Meeting a friend/former boss tomorrow night for dinner and to see a musical in Philadelphia. I have sort of weird/eclectic taste in entertainment, and I usually don't bother trying to find anyone to go with me (too frustrating and I tend to get stuck with an extra ticket), but this is one we'll both enjoy, and I haven't seen her in a few months.

I've also been doing a bit of clothes-shopping to celebrate having lost ALMOST 40 pounds since last year. I had a routine doctor's visit last week, and the doc was THRILLED with the progress. I'm sort of dreading seeing the dentist--who will be less than thrilled with the problems I'm having there, but that's an issue for next week, lol.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I found myself a pair of red black and tan Fluevog Portsides today for a screaming deal - retail therapy is the BEST (in moderation ) and tomorrow I am riding the 50 mile fun route to a town 20 miles away for breakfast at my favorite diner and then a car show with a buddy.

Happy Friday all!!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

fb, you said the F word. Over the past few weeks I don't even want to admit how many I've bought (some second-hand an a couple pair on sale).

Stop me before I Fluevog again!!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm going to a very nice dinner tomorrow with one of my siblings to celebrate my birthday. I ordered a fancy cake for myself from a local baker for Sunday. Monday, the celebration continues when I'm going to an early music show with both of my siblings - reserved seats up front! I've been taking longer walks more often. Next up for self care - reading for pleasure! Thanks for starting the thread FireSprite. It sounds like you are doing amazingly well! I am inspired!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

fb, you said the F word. Over the past few weeks I don't even want to admit how many I've bought (some second-hand an a couple pair on sale).

Stop me before I Fluevog again!!
Oh Lexie, I know...its a PROBLEM. But as far as addictions go...it's not as bad as some, right?! Cheers, fellow "Fluezie."

Firesprite, I should add - my Goddesses Never Age book came it - cracking it open this weekend too, in the name of self care
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post

I've also been doing a bit of clothes-shopping to celebrate having lost ALMOST 40 pounds since last year. I had a routine doctor's visit last week, and the doc was THRILLED with the progress.
That's awesome! Congrats!

I've lost 20 lbs so far this year. I did purge my closet a little bit a month ago, but I'm itching to go through it again. I have 1 pair of shorts that I'm still wearing but don't have to unbutton or unzip to get them on & off. I should go buy a pair to hold me over until I drop a few more. It's just so nice to accomplish that. I workout a lot and watch my calorie intake. It gets harder the older we get though, doesn't it? My metabolism just isn't what it used to be!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Well, last weekend I went out of town to attend my former roommates daughter's wedding! I had the most fabulous time, I met up with old friends that I haven't seen for years. It was such a full, fantastic weekend that I felt like I was gone for 2 weeks!

So, it will be hard to top that this weekend

I will spend some time watching my husband garden , maybe a bit of retail therapy and tidy up my scrapbook table to get ready for a new project.

I just love self-care!!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys have great stuff planned!

I'm still working my way through Goddesses too.

Part of my closet purge has been eliminate all the clothes that I outgrew when I went on my health kick a while back. It occurred to me that I was still hanging on to stuff "in case I gain the weight back", which is akin to praying for that very thing to manifest. I'm closing in on 2 YEARS of weight loss & healthier living..... I have NO reason to hold on to all those old jeans. I kept one pair to remind me of all my hard work & stacked the rest in the donation pile.

Westexy Enjoy that cake!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really, really good things going on, all of you! Thanks for sharing!

fb and Lexie, you guys make me laugh w/your Fluevog issues! Lexie, I did take a look at their site and yes, very very cool stuff--unfortunately, costs more than many of the cars I've owned in my life! Well, maybe that's more about the crappy cars I've had than about the shoes...

fb, I am eager to hear what you think about the Goddesses book. Mine is from the library, but it's looking like it may be something to put on the "to buy" list.

flower, maybe you just need some suspenders for those shorts!

2ndhand, have fun setting up for your next scrapbook project.

Westexy, happy birthday to you!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For myself, I'm looking to continue my painting project. I had hoped to get 2 rooms done last weekend when I had an extra day off, but due to a lot of hours during the work week, I didn't have the prep done that I wanted to by the weekend.

BUT--using what I've learned in recovery so far, I said to myself "work at a reasonable pace for a reasonable length of time each day that you DO have and see where you end up." This would be a great big change from "work in a frenzy and be angry and irritable and then feel unsatisfied no matter what you get done", which is what I would have done not all that long ago.

So the bedroom got painted. This weekend, I hope to paint my living room. This might not sound like self-care, but XAH and I lived in this house for 20+ years, and I am still getting to know it as MY place to live, MY shelter and MY refuge. Every little thing I do to take care of it or make it more my own is important, and makes me feel so good when I realize what I can do on my own and how much I like it!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going to BRUNCH <3 Brunch is my favorite thing y'all! Then I'll probably spend the afternoon at the barn playing with my mare. I'm slowly learning to take care of myself.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

In defense of my Fluevogging, all my life I've been wearing stodgy shoes. Anything that really grabbed me inevitably would wind up hurting my feet.

THESE shoes are gorgeous and quirky, and WAY more comfy than the odd styles would suggest. So I think of it sort of the way I do my concert habit--making up for lost time while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I have to second what Lexie said - plus, they are well made and last a long time, so I am never above paying 1/3rd the cost for a nice used set!

I am a pretty modest dresser...and there is just something about knowing that when people see your shoes, they are thinking "oh hell yes - I see your wild child poking through"

This might not sound like self-care, but XAH and I lived in this house for 20+ years, and I am still getting to know it as MY place to live, MY shelter and MY refuge. Every little thing I do to take care of it or make it more my own is important, and makes me feel so good when I realize what I can do on my own and how much I like it!
Honeypig, this sounds exactly like the best kind of self care to me
Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
In defense of my Fluevogging
I don't know, Lexie, can you use that as a verb? Will the grammar nazis come and get you? I know things like that matter to you...

So I think of it sort of the way I do my concert habit--making up for lost time while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.
And this is a WONDERFUL excuse for all sorts of things; I anticipate using it frequently, so thank you for providing me with it!

fb, I had to look up your Fluevog Portsides, and I see the sale price and the original price--what a deal you snagged!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just looked up Fluevog. Uh oh.

Have you guys heard of Irregular Choice shoes? Might be up your alley.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

PH - they have some super funky ones!!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

I need me some Fluevog!!

Just googled Irregular Choice shoes, interesting
Old 06-02-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Zero contact

Zero contact. That's how I'm going to give myself self-love this weekend. He emailed me. You were all right.

I glanced over it quickly and then just closed it and did not respond. It was stupid textbook manipulative junk. Made me laugh actually now that I see what's going on. Didn't reply and won't.

I was prepared very well, thanks everyone, to no longer WANT TO reply and to be prepared in the first place. Smiling. Last weekend I spent here with all of you and this weekend...

Today I went to see the new Wonder Woman movie at lunch, which I loved. Took a friend with me, whom I've not seen since before ex nightmare.

I have a long day planned tomorrow including spring cleaning, changing hair to blond for summer, first mani/pedi in a long time, and enjoying the peace. And a Mr. Softie ice cream cone after a three hour gym session, steam room and swimming pool.

Sunday I have to deliver a job proposal to someone for a big opportunity then Sunday night I'm going out with a girlfriend for her birthday.

What reunion? Lol I'm busy. Need rest, peace, and positive energy.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm off to the barn to horseback ride. Something about the wind in my face, the smell of the horse, and the connection with the horse..... it can better than therapy.