Notices

Having to miss my first meeting today

Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having to miss my first meeting today

I went and had a chat at an alcohol support drop-in on Tuesday and am meant to be attending the first group meeting in just over an hour's time.

I wasn't looking forward to the meeting anyway to be honest, but that is not my reason for not going. I managed to get severely sunburnt on Wednesday which has led to blisters all over my forehead which have decided this morning would be a good time to start seeping. Sorry that this sounds a bit gross but it is what it is. As such, I really don't fancy being seen in public today and certainly not at a group meeting.

The problem I have is I am away with work for the next 2 weeks, and also in that time the alcohol advice place is moving in to a shared building in which there is a lot more people around and a bit too public for my liking.

Not really sure what to do for the best....?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The good think about AA is that meetings are everywhere and travel with you. You could try hitting a few up while you are away or at a minimum there is always this site and other online support.
If you're not a big fan of groups, you can also look into one on one meetings with an addiction therapist.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tidytemper, sorry to hear about the sun burn.

I'd say drinking again would be far worse than anyone seeing the blisters. The other people at the meeting will have their own stuff to think about. Unless you turn up with 2 heads, I don't reckon they'll take much notice. If you're that concerned, could you cover the blisters with a loose, long sleeved top?

Not drinking is the priority now. Can you find and attend AA meetings whilst you're away with work?

I hope you get to the meeting today, regardless of the sun burn. You've got nothing to lose and so, so much to gain. Aftersun and a bit of bravery. You can do it
Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry Tidytemper, misread 'forehead' as 'forearm'. I understand your concern and hope you can find other meetings for when you feel up to going out. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thinking that wrapping a long sleeved top over my face might of drawn some unwanted attention. Lol
Old 06-02-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, that wouldn't be a good look Hope the blisters get better soon and your work trip goes ok. Make sure you stay close to this site and post often. It kept me sober on my first trip away. Good luck
Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Would the sunburn have stopped you, in the past going out to get more booze? Just asking- my sponsor did to me- as his did to him. Support to you.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Would the sunburn have stopped you, in the past going out to get more booze? Just asking- my sponsor did to me- as his did to him. Support to you.
Oooooohhh... Now THAT is a very good question/argument. You're right, it wouldn't of stopped me. Shame I've already missed the meeting now. I did phone them though to find out when the next meeting was.

I'm feeling relatively confident this time round as I have been off​ work all week and haven't had a drink and that is when I'm usually at my weakest.

That said, I don't want to get too complacent, hence why I went to the alcohol centre in the first place - to give me as many tools and as big a chance of success as possible.

I think if I can get past this weekend, the following 2 weeks away with work will be much easier. Almost everyone that will be there either doesn't drink or drinks very little. I've already drawn up my reasons/excuses for not drinking with my evening meal or for going back to my room early.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you. There is nothing more annoying than the devil's advocate, but I would never offer anything that has not been stuffed down my throat. My sponsor was told by his sponsor- when he was 71. He was unwell, tired it was dark and raining. His sponsor told him in the past he would have crawled over broken glass half dead for another bottle.....
Keep posting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah Phoenix makes a great point.

Whenever I felt like recovery was too much effort, I'd remember the insane things I'd do to get a drink. I once had a badly abscessed tooth and my face was swollen like a horror movie - literally Elephant Man stuff..

I put on a hoodie.... and went to the liquor store.

No matter what the reason - sickness, bad weather, last 20 bucks, dead of night, walking up to the bottlo past all my neighbours, visibly staggering and worse for wear...I was there for my drinking.

Be there for your recovery

Do as much (if not more) for your recovery as you did for your drinking TT.

D