Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Interesting article on alcohol and its "spiritual consequences"

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I ran across this tonight and found it a nice read. I'm pretty science-oriented, but I still found the main idea here intriguing under the "there's-still-a-lot-we-don't-know" umbrella. Plus, just the concept that something like this might happen during a blackout was good and scary for me...

So thought I'd share:
The Spiritual Consequences of Alcohol Consumption | The Costa Rica News
Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an interesting article!
Scary, too.
I was reminded of some of the withdrawal stories I've read here, where the visual and auditory hallucinations were described as demon-like.

I probably shouldn't have made it my bedtime story. lol
Thank you for sharing it.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a very interesting read and it makes sense. Sometimes when I drank I did feel as if I had been possessed by demons and said and did things that my sober self would consider unthinkable.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good read. It does put some perspective into alcohol in the way the "beast" or av just wants to use you, then throw you to the curb once it's had it's way, leaving you to deal with the consequences.
I know coming off the worse bender I ever did, I'm pretty sure I was having DT's, or close to it. I felt like bugs were crawling under my skin, in sheer terror, horrific nightmares, awake and asleep. I can say it was closest thing to a spiritual experience I've ever had, it was horrific and pretty much the most terrifying thing I ever experienced.
I've also heard from many others that have also had these hell like experiences, down to your soul from alcohol abuse. It truly is evil stuff.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We had a liquor store in our old neighborhood that had a flashing sign that said

"Spirits"

I thought at the time -- that's what I'm looking for.

These days I check the spirits before letting them in.

The devil is on the roam.

M-Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"By consuming alcohol into the body, it in effect extracts the very essence of the soul, allowing the body to be more susceptible to neighboring entities most of which are of low frequencies"

This is totally true for me. I tend to be drawn to dangerous men when I drink. When I'm sober I feel no attraction to the same men.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
That was a very interesting read and it makes sense. Sometimes when I drank I did feel as if I had been possessed by demons and said and did things that my sober self would consider unthinkable.
Verdantia, I had the same reaction. My boyfriend (now husband) even came to name this alternate self as "the other argillaceous," and would talk about how different she was than me. He'd mention the things she'd do or say and I would just cringe inside with shame and regret.

I hate to think my true soul had to leave and float around on a tether until I sobered up...that is no way to treat a soul. (Sorry soul.) Time to let my authentic spirit take residence for good. I'm glad she chose to stick with me this long...