Notices

Give meetings a chance or two

Old 05-30-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Give meetings a chance or two

I just got back from my first AA meeting in a very long time, and to make a long story short, I am SO grateful I finally did.

I had had very underwhelming experiences before and expected that was all I would find in the area where I live - I was pleasantly proved wrong tonight. I plan to go again tomorrow night.

Isolation was one of my biggest problems before I went back out, even though I was here. It doesn't help us to sit around thinking we're unique in our problems. We need to spend time around others who understand us, have been through what we've been through and worse, and have been successful in their sobriety.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post

It doesn't help us to sit around thinking we're unique in our problems. We need to spend time around others who understand us,
True BC

I'm on my last day in another town on a mini vacation. Went to a meeting at 7AM this morning and the topic was honesty. Excellent meeting and I carried away with me some excellent tools.

Stay on it,
M-Bob
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too enjoy AA meetings from time to time, even though I'm not active in the program. I feel like I'm in a pretty good place in my recovery, but sometimes I want (need?) to interact with folks who understand what we're dealing with, people who have been there and done that. I went to meetings daily as part of rehab/IOP, and immediately thereafter, and enjoyed them; but eventually I determined that the program (i.e. getting a sponsor/working steps) was not for me. I assumed that at some point, if I kept coming around, people would expect me to seek a sponsor, start the steps, and do a service commitment (none of which I chose to do) and that I wouldn't really be welcome if I didn't. But I didn't find that to be the case, or at least nobody has told me that (though I would guess some old timers may think it). I go to a meeting every couple weeks or so, or "as needed", and see a few of the same faces and lots of new ones. I always try to contribute to the discussion, and occasionally give somebody a lift to the bus stop, so I feel like I'm at least making some kind of contribution. I have never felt unwelcome, and I do feel "refreshed" after I go.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bc,

I don't buy in yet to the sponser and steps. I am staying sober, so far, w out the additional effort and interaction.

Some say just going to meetings is not the same. I agree. But, it is different than just reading and posting here.

I have several bosses, I will take on another one before I relapse.

The gal I talked to last meeting was 30 years clean, she was bossy.

The other high time guy dissappeared before I had a chance to say hi afterwards. He laughed a lot. Seemed a bit too happy for me.

Another guy had his back to me, making no effort to engage.

Sponsers are human. Since I have not lost everything monetarily yet to booze...I also worry about getting involved w a total stranger alcoholic that may be a felon for all I know.

I am not that trusting.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just going to meetings is better than not.

Reading the Big Book will also add depth to your experience and give you a lot more insight to AAs program of recovery.

Step work and sponsors..... helpful indeed, but take it all in the way that you're feeling ready to.

If you haven't asked for a big book, I really encourage it. I read that thing 3 times in the first year and it was an outstanding tool in my recovery and in getting the most from AA.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 05-31-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

Sponsers are human. Since I have not lost everything monetarily yet to booze...I also worry about getting involved w a total stranger alcoholic that may be a felon for all I know.

I am not that trusting.

Thanks.
im not that trusting either. fortunately the big book tells me to think well before i open up to anyone.
my sponsor had to earn my trust just as i had to earn my sponsors trust.
losing everything isnt a requirement to be in AA. heres the prelude into the 2nd set of stories in the big book:
They Stopped In Time

They Stopped in Time
Among today’s incoming A.A. members, many have never reached the advanced stages of alcoholism, though given time all might have.

Most of these fortunate ones have had little or no acquaintance with delirium, with hospitals, asylums, and jails. Some were drinking heavily, and there had been occasional serious episodes. But with many, drinking had been little more than a sometimes uncontrollable nuisance. Seldom had any of these lost either health, business, family, or friends.

Why do men and women like these join A.A.?

The seventeen who now tell their experiences answer that question. They saw that they had become actual or potential alcoholics, even though no serious harm had yet been done.
They realized that repeated lack of drinking control, when they really wanted control, was the fatal symptom that spelled problem drinking. This, plus mounting emotional disturbances, convinced them that compulsive alcoholism already had them; that complete ruin would be only a question of time.

Seeing this danger, they came to A.A. They realized that in the end alcoholism could be as mortal as cancer; certainly no sane man would wait for a malignant growth to become fatal before seeking help.

Therefore, these seventeen A.A.’s, and hundreds of thousands like them, have been saved years of infinite suffering. They sum it up something like this: “We didn’t wait to hit bottom because, thank God, we could see the bottom. Actually, the bottom came up and hit us. That sold us on Alcoholics Anonymous.”

it is rather strange to read people say how untrusting they are and wont open up to complete strangers at an AA meeting,yet will post quite a bit on a forum where millions can read it.

ive met quite a few EX felons in AA. if they wouldnt have said they were, i wouldnt have known.
great friend of mine is an ex prostitute. didnt learn that until knowing her for about 2 years. i wouldnt have known otherwise.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great to hear! I'm similar to desertdawg,in that I was 'forced' to go and did(court ordered). I even went to extra meetings when I needed to. I tried a couple sponsors but, the program just wasn't for me. The meetings do help me when I'm feeling weak in my sobriety. I'm just not very religious/spiritual by nature/upbringing but, it does help to talk to and listen to those that know what I'm going through so, if going to a meeting keeps me from drinking today, that's what I do. I'm shocked/happy to say that meetings and this site have helped me stay clean for 7 months now.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad it was a good'un BC.

Keep going back and stick with the winners.

BB