Notices

It's A Novelty

Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's A Novelty

I just wondered if this was the same for anyone else.

I've been bad with the alcohol over the recent past, but have been sober for ten days. The first two or three days were the worst. However, for the past three or four days, I've actually been enjoying life.

Yes, I still have the cravings, but I've been enjoying waking up not feeling ill, even enjoying things like doing housework, having a cuppa, listening to music, watching TV.

It's like I got that used to being under the influence and using alcohol as a crutch, that sobriety almost feels like a novelty.

Anyone else feel the same, especially in the early days?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure I'd say a novelty necessarily but even when I was drinking I enjoyed being sober and who I was sober. I've said it before, I think it really helps in sobriety if one likes being sober. Congrats on your 10 days.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes! In early sobriety I used to marvel at waking up feeling good. It was such a 'new thing'. And altho I now have over 7 yrs sober, I still am amazed and happy when I wake up and I'm not sick as a dog.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tyne,

Agree, at first it seemed like a novelty.

I was afraid to say i will never drink again.

Not sure why.

After all my education about addiction, my clean time, my health improvements, my responsibility to my family, and my desire to not die a horrible booze related organ failure death.....

I will happily never drink again.

When you think it is time for a drink, no matter why, that is the fight now.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gratitude Gardener

YES. And I am LOVING it. 10 days here, too.

The actual definition of Novelty:
1. the quality of being new, original, or unusual.

And being sober like this IS all of that.

But this is going to last... its a HIGH QUALITY high. We will still have vicious problems at points in our lives.

But I am not gonna say "NO" to the beauty of how I am feeling right now.

The process of recovery that I see here, too... of watching people support, inspire, bolster, and be so authentically honest with one another... The incredible support, and the strength this path takes....

If it ever becomes consistently boring for me, or if I become jaded for a stretch of time, I am pretty sure I am taking something wholly for granted. Because what I see on these boards is nothing short of incredible, and I dont see this activity in many places very often.

In Presence, I think, all moments become Novel.
Because each moment of life... IS A NEW ONE.

I just couldnt see or experience that when I was drunk.

I will get bored and jaded at times in the future. But I hope I will remember how important this journey really is, and has been <3
Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

novelty-the quality of being new, original, or unusual.
early on, is was all that for me. i started drinkin at 13 ish and got sober at 36. never really knew what life without alcohol was.
now sobriety is a blessing and a gift- one im truly greatful for.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Every day now I wake at 6am because I've always had enough sleep by then. I get up and make a cup of tea and sit on the sofa and drink it. Just me and the dog. At 6.45 my husband and kids start to wake, the house starts getting noisy and the day properly starts.

This morning at 6.15am when I was having my cup of tea with the dog, I realised that this has become my new routine. It's not a novelty anymore, it's how I start each day. And I love it. No hangovers, no shame, no self hatred. Just a quiet cup of tea before everyone else wakes up.

Sobriety allows you to start taking notice of everything and when you start noticing everything, you realise that happiness can be found everywhere.

10 days is fantastic Tynesider, you should feel very proud. Keep paying attention to all those things you are starting to appreciate and enjoy. It just gets better and better.