Notices

Just an FYI

Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just an FYI

I just wanted to share this for newcomers in hopes that it could help in some way. I've been sober for about 20 months. Its Saturday night, Memorial Weekend here in the US. I live on a lake. I've gone minimal contact with my family. In years past I could walk across the street and stand by the bonfire at the park and drink and socialize until midnight. If that wasn't available, I could join my family at some point and there would be plenty of booze and music etc...

Those options are no longer on the table. I am bored and it would be a perfect time to "slip". Instead I am warming up some pork chops and fried potatoes, will listen to a podcast, take 2 melatonin tablets and go to bed. I'm not happy about being rather bored and going to bed early on a Saturday night, but I can't go back to the way things were. If this helps anyone, its done its job.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love going to bed early on a Saturday night, it's fantastic waking up Sunday refreshed and energized and ready to go.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starstarstar View Post
I love going to bed early on a Saturday night, it's fantastic waking up Sunday refreshed and energized and ready to go.
I plan on having a fantastic chest and arms workout and 22 minutes of strenuous cardio tomorrow around 2PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent! I'm working on the basics tomorrow, compound lifts.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks for your post, thomas11. You've done good.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome, thomas. You're not normal, man....and that's GOOD!! You did 'normal' for years...your old normal was drinking until midnight Memorial Day weekend. Things have changed. Good job on fitness.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hooray, you!!!

It's an endless too-hot weekend here and it can't end soon enough as far as I'm concerned. Summer is not my favorite season.

You're doing so well and no hang over and no regrets tomorrow!

Sending you a hug.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm a bit bored today too Thomas but thankful I won't wake up tomorrow filled with regret & anxiety. Cheers to a boring sober evening
Old 05-27-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I plan on having a fantastic chest and arms workout and 22 minutes of strenuous cardio tomorrow around 2PM.
You've come a long way thomas. I'm really happy for you. John
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Thomas. You've come far. Your words and advice has helped me many times.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for coming back with this encouraging message. It was really helpful.. Congratulations to you!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan to me. Actually it's good to be bored once in awhile in my opinion. It gives you time to reflect on things and besides going to bed early is actually a luxury if you think about it. Stay strong.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took those Saturday night moments and started loving the stars. I would love to sit on the lake, eat a nice meal and talk about the night sky. It replaces the ignorance perfectly and I don't have to go to bed early!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey thomas. How'd your workout go? Nothing like blasting those chest and arms and good cardio. You're an inspiration.

I just got back from a looooong sweaty walk in the hot sun. Not too many other people out and about so I had the trails practically to myself. Just when I got to feeling a bit too hot/sweaty a nice breeze came up and blew against the sweat and cooled me off. Great to soak up some sunshine, but it just felt so good to have the breeze on my face. I was able to reflect how it felt like FREEEEEDOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yup. Went hiking today for two and a half hours, came home, took a nap and watched some TV. Going for another long hike tomorrow.
No tears. No massive anxiety. No regrets. No confusion. I will remember having lived this day, even the dull parts, as peaceful.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy Memorial Day Weekend Jeff!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Hey thomas. How'd your workout go? Nothing like blasting those chest and arms and good cardio. You're an inspiration.

I just got back from a looooong sweaty walk in the hot sun. Not too many other people out and about so I had the trails practically to myself. Just when I got to feeling a bit too hot/sweaty a nice breeze came up and blew against the sweat and cooled me off. Great to soak up some sunshine, but it just felt so good to have the breeze on my face. I was able to reflect how it felt like FREEEEEDOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!
Hi TT, workout was good. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Not bad for a Sunday training session. No one is ever at the gym on Sundays so I'm by myself. Its nice. Today will be shoulders and triceps with cardio again.

A cool breeze when we are hot and sweaty is pure heaven isn't it?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Yup. Went hiking today for two and a half hours, came home, took a nap and watched some TV. Going for another long hike tomorrow.
No tears. No massive anxiety. No regrets. No confusion. I will remember having lived this day, even the dull parts, as peaceful.
Its funny you mentioned a nap. I could never nap when drinking, I was too wired. Now about once or twice a week I take a power nap for about an hour and I really like it.