Notices

Talk me down..

Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talk me down..

Almost 7 months without a drop..Had a VERY rough couple of days emotionally with my daughters behavior causing nothing but stress and tension in my house/life ....stuff that should not be going on IS (life perhaps?)can't sleep,in my head,ect..can't get to a meeting right now due to work obligations but, my insane brain is saying I can get a bottle and 'forget about it all until..ehhh...whenever' and I know that's where that bottle will lead me..'whenever'. I know I have to be present in the now and deal with this but, at the same time I have no control over this problem with her because she is an adult now and needs to handle her side and I, mine..but..just very blah at the moment.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sorry your adult child is causing you grief.....they are kinda special that way!

however, i DID run your "excuse to drink" thru the BS Meter and the results are:

Nope, still does not qualify as a reason to drink. Suggest find new plan.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your daughter's problems are causing you so much upset. And, I know it's hard to step back and let things happen in her life, but it is her life. You can be there for her, and being sober is the only way to do that.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been up for about two days straight, have so many calls talking to close friends that watched her 'grow up' and they ALL agree that kicking her out was the right move. SHE needs to go make her mistakes/decisions on her own. Even just typing my initial post was like a weight lifted..
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Resilience dissolves in alcohol. Besides, by the time we get to this stage, it doesn't really work anymore. Instead of that warm glow all I was getting was stupid, nauseated, and a headache, no matter how little I drank.

Not worth it, especially since you will feel even worse tomorrow.

Ice cream. Just sayin'.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about a walk and play the tape. Alcohol will make everything worse.

Keep your eye on the price and rely on us. We are here to listen and support you.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll also add that I haven't been to a meeting in a few days and will be going straight there after work today,then 1st thing in the morning.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kids! They never stop kicking our hearts, no matter how grown.
Can you get away for a bit and go for a little walk? Fresh air always helps me.
And try to get some sleep. Things always look a lot more hopeless when I am tired.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Drinking will simply make a bad situation....worse.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Kids! They never stop kicking our hearts, no matter how grown.
Isn't that the truth!? I'm about to leave work now and head to a meeting, eat something and sleep.. I feel dizzy from the entire thing. Just another 'thing' I've been avoiding dealing with, for the past few years by drinking to forget is what my business partner called it this morning.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take care, Don'tRemember.
All will be well in time.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks,everyone! I'm at my meeting now waiting on it to start. I don't really get into the spiritual side of AA but, I do use it as a type of therapy and it's been going good so far... I know this is 'life happening' and am so glad I posted this instead of drinking at lunch!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like I said..It's been a while since I've been to a meeting and today had to leave early because this drunk old man was out of control! Trying to pick fights with people,cops called,ect..It was 'entertaining' and sad that he was so out of control. Kinda not wanting to be that guy ever again! I ALWAYS get something out of a meeting and today is "Don't be that guy!" Grabbed some food on my way home and gonna sit netflix and chill with myself. Thanks again,everyone!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feeling much more at piece with things now. Got a lot of things done around the house,talked to some family members and am in a better mental place. Beats the hell out of sitting on the couch,alone pounding beer and/or vodka. Also decided that when I hit 12 months I'm stopping cigs.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just now read your thread, DR - I'm so very happy you rose above the temptation & distracted yourself from drinking. After a while we finally realize it won't improve anything. We know better than to believe it's a way to cope.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Just now read your thread, DR - I'm so very happy you rose above the temptation & distracted yourself from drinking. After a while we finally realize it won't improve anything. We know better than to believe it's a way to cope.
Yeah..drinking would have done nothing at all. Crazy how our minds think it'll fix something. Nice and peaceful evening in a clean home is a better feeling. Dee posted something in another thread today that really slapped me in the face about beating yourself up over past things and that's what I was doing in my head. Going over HER upbringing,ect..When in reality I've bent over backwards for her,her entire life. Gone without so she doesn't have to,ect..(my partner brought this up at lunch today). Thanks again,everyone!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Still can't/haven't slept. Just been reading around here and doing some work things,while watcjing tv. House is clean but, I have a crazy busy couple of days starting tomorrow with work so, I can actually have a productive,fun, social life on Sunday. Not drinking or going to.. Just ranting a bit,per usual.