Notices

Day 1 again...

Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again...

Hi everyone. I read SimplyFree's thread about not getting past day 3 and was inspired to post. I'm a 1-2x per week binge drinker. I keep struggling with trying to be a normal drinker. Limiting myself. I can't.

I made the mistake of buying a bottle of wine at the grocery store last night. I promised myself I had to do dishes and clean, and couldn't get more afterward. Wrong.

Like clockwork I walked down to the pub and bought drinks for everyone. Stayed up too late and called sick to work.

I only have the willpower to get help when I'm hungover. By day 3 or so, I cave. I can't not drink every drop.

My ex left me for things I did drunk. I'll date or invite someone over and completely blow it. Friends are pissed by me drunk texting. Nobody else really knows I have a problem. I'm barely out of college.

I'm trying to figure out why I do it. I'm guessing I have trouble relaxing and having fun.

I've called around to a few psychiatrists and they make it surprisingly difficult to get in. I can't take off work (already been gone too much). Doesn't sound like I'll fit into AA.

I've tried exercising, meditation and gratitude Journaling and articles and books. Kinda lost. I've slowly accepted this as life but it'll take me one day.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a supportive site, mathmajor. How about joining the May class? It's a thread dedicated to the newly sober and those wanting to become so.
It is never too late to turn things around.
You're young. If you stop drinking now, you will heal quickly.
Now is the time.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's always hope MM. I agree with Maudcat, now's the time! You will be so happy that you made the right choice!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I joined hoping an online forum would keep me accountable. Sorry to be so negative but I've been frustrated with myself.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mathmajor

For me the key was doing somethign different...I always got complacent once I felt better...so I made myself continue to post in that period and beyond.

Action - action for change - really is key. Go to an AA meeting to check it out - you might be surprised. Or check out other meetings SMART, Lifering.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Checkout Rational Recovery too - no meetings. The Secular Connections forum here has a lot on that.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Join the Class Of May thread (in this forum) too.

The more effort you put in the more you'll get back

D
Old 05-26-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Doesn't sound like I'll fit into AA.
i didnt fit anywhere ... thats why i drank

i listened for the similarities and not the differences at meetings and found my place

got active in service to others to help me be less selfish

stopped thinkin' 'bout drinkin'

life is better now

Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you know you wont fit into AA? Presumptions are what kept me in the dark for so long about my issues. Best to face them head on and see what each avenue holds.

Its amazing how much drinking is ingrained in our society once we go off to college, get a job and are in your 20s.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job.