Notices

Jerk While Drunk = Jerk At Core?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jerk While Drunk = Jerk At Core?

If a person is an absolute ******* while drunk, is the person necessarily an absolute ******* at their core?

Alcoholics with remorse and shame would tell you no.
Normal drinkers would probably give you a spectrum of answers, likely tending toward yes.

It hurts to think of myself as an absolute ******* at my core.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm gonna go with No

I have ten years in recovery that say I'm not a jerk, even tho I did undeniably do jerky things as a drunk.

Intoxication = full of poison.

Look, I get it, twtom - you feel lower than a snakes belly for drinking gain...but you need to stop beating yourself up.

A certain amount of introspection and honesty is good - punishing yourself and grinding yourself mercilessly into the dust only makes it easier to drink again.

If there were no redeeming features in everyone who drank, this forum would be empty.

Let that old you go, so the new you - the real you - has a clear run at the future

D
Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree 100% with Dee. I have almost 17 months sober and I definitely was a good person before the 17 months, however, at times my drinking caused me to act in a way I wouldn't have sober.

You can do this, and you aren't a jerk.❤
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As you predicted, this alcoholic with shame and remorse will say no.

If I was a jerk at my core, would I feel shame and remorse? Would I want to work so hard to get better? Would I want others to get better?

Of course I acted like a jerk when I was drinking but that's because alcohol is a mind-altering drug that removes inhibitions, nothing to do with my core.

I used to beat myself up a lot until I recognised that beating myself up is a massive trigger. If I believe I am a jerk at my core and torture myself with memories of all the dumb things I did and said when I was drunk, I might start thinking, "What's the point of recovery anyway? I'm fundamentally a jerk. Might as well keep drinking."

I think actions speak louder than words. Rather than apologising over and over again for past behaviours, I prefer to show the people I love how sorry I am by ensuring I stay sober every day. That's the ultimate way of proving to myself that I may be flawed but I'm not a jerk at core.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd agree with Dee- 99%. Some people are indeed jerks. BUT - that's not my place to decide and as I am in AA and do subscribe to the BB theory that "we are all children of [God] and each have a right to be here."

So, I'm ok and you're ok, basically. Focusing on the feelings of worthlessness and self-pity (also BB para) doesn't help me- it definitely hurts- and instead focusing on NOT being that jerk that I myself definitely was at times when drinking is what I need to do now.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drunk people are not themselves.

They are their wounds, their fears, their anxieties, their sorrows, their defenses, their complex, interwoven, backed-in-a-corner anger selves projected out in a fit of reptilian-brain tantrum.

No.

The drunk human is not the core self. It is the core self's antithesis and enemy.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

They are their wounds, their fears, their anxieties, their sorrows, their defenses, their complex, interwoven, backed-in-a-corner anger selves projected out in a fit of reptilian-brain tantrum.

No.

The drunk human is not the core self. It is the core self's antithesis and enemy.
I agree and disagree with this. To me the second paragraph is beautiful and on point but I come to a different conclusion.

I think drunk folks are themselves. At least I will take the responsibility for being a jerk in my drinking days. But I think there's more than on kind of jerk.

For me and I think for most "jerks" (drunk or sober) I have run into over the years the reason we behave in a jerky manner is to cover up the fears, anxieties, and sorrows. I label them the insecure jerks.These folks can change/improve over time. At least I hope they can or I'm screwed.

However, the smaller group of jerks is the narcissists. They really don't care about anyone else at all. I have known a few over the years. At least in my limited experience they are incurable and I avoid them.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone has a different personality, but alcohol does have a way of bringing the worst out when under the influence.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember making a thread on here the day before I quit saying that alcohol was making me a bad person. I was feeling really low. And it was true, alcohol was making me into a person that I didn't like and I couldn't face myself. It was warping my mind and my personality but once I removed it from my life I realized that I'm not a bad person but I was doing a bad thing by poisoning myself and disrespecting my mind and body. Now with some sober time I like myself again and I've regained my self esteem and self respect and it spills over to those I hold near and dear. Give yourself the gift of sobriety and embrace it.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

No.

I 100% agree! I could definately be mean, hateful, just plain mad. It was all of the rawness and hurt coming to the surface without a filter. Yes I was/am hurt, but that's not who I am. Try not to beat yourself up.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The shame I would feel after a bender was due to having just behaved in a way that is contrary to my core values.

Being drunk never made me the worst person in the world, and being sober doesn't make me the best person in the world. But sober I can be the best ME I can be - and that's the goal.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

there ARE certain individuals who are just chitheads in general....but they would not be HERE trying to make a change.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Not bad trying to be good but sick trying to get well. Many sober alcoholics start to view the world in different terms and change occurs. What that looks like is up to the individual but now there is choice.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sober style

That's more of a philosophy question imo, and what is a good person anyway, etc. You could go on and on just trying to define the terms involved without settling anything. Deep questions like that are above my pay grade, a lot like politics and religion.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My mother (recovered alcoholic for over 20 yrs) once told me that recovering alcoholics are the best people you could ever know. They're caring, sensitive, funny, huge hearts, deep thinkers, genuine... They've been through hell and back, why should they be anything else?

I am NOT the same person when sober as I am when I am drinking...PERIOD!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
My mother (recovered alcoholic for over 20 yrs) once told me that recovering alcoholics are the best people you could ever know. They're caring, sensitive, funny, huge hearts, deep thinkers, genuine... They've been through hell and back, why should they be anything else?
I hope this is true for myself. Lol! This is a very good point though. We have not had an easy road with smooth sailing. Sometimes I am on Facebook (I know, I know - lol) and see these people posting about their perfect lives with their manicured lawns, hired out window cleaners, baking with their aprons on and I want to puke. But then I remember maybe the sun shines a little brighter for me because I have seen how dark things can actually get. I have much to be fortunate for.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post

I am NOT the same person when sober as I am when I am drinking...PERIOD!
Sounds like you have a cool mom, I really like what she had to say
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Sounds like you have a cool mom, I really like what she had to say
She was a very special lady Zen. She passed in 2007. My last relapse was after she died.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post

I think actions speak louder than words. Rather than apologising over and over again for past behaviours, I prefer to show the people I love how sorry I am by ensuring I stay sober every day. That's the ultimate way of proving to myself that I may be flawed but I'm not a jerk at core.
This is the best advice for anyone trying to complete the 12 steps to recovery. Thanks for this great advice!!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been a total ******** whilst drunk, I also get angry at things that happened years ago.

Complete opposite when sober.