Notices

Zopiclone

Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Zopiclone

Shall I go and get some sleeping pills for this insomnia when I see doc on Tuesday? Or should I just tough it out?

I'm confused from the drink but this insomnia is making me like Mr Potato Head.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's probably up to you and the doctor. Zopiclone can definitely be addictive, and is a controlled substances. I know the insomnia can be awful, but if the addiction potential is something that you are concerned about, maybe consider telling him that you want something that is non-addictive. There are definitely other options that he can prescribe. Hope you can get some sleep!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Yeah, can't be done, can it. I'm such a complete addict, want that quick fix from anything. I'll get the pills and when they're gone I'll want some more and meanwhile my body's not healing properly. Tough it out then. Got some valerian tea to try. Spect I'll be on 5 teabags a night soon.

Hope you're ok?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Insomnia is very common during withdrawals and early sobriety, but it will get better. It takes your brain a while to adjust/recover from the abuse and sedation of alcohol. Sleeping pills are also addictive so it's best to discuss it with your doctor, making sure to also be honest about your drinking.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weev1l View Post
Yeah, can't be done, can it. I'm such a complete addict, want that quick fix from anything. I'll get the pills and when they're gone I'll want some more and meanwhile my body's not healing properly. Tough it out then. Got some valerian tea to try. Spect I'll be on 5 teabags a night soon.

Hope you're ok?
Yeah I'm hanging in there, thanks. Posting on here helps. Good for you for realizing that there would be a potential for addiction there. Something like valerian tea or melatonin sounds like better plan.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keep Going

No I haven't been honest w/my doctor. In fact, I've not been honest with anyone, ever, until the last 16 days. It's hard to tell the truth on this site and I wish the earth would open up and swallow me when I'm frank with my sponsor. I lie to myself and am just learning to catch myself at it. And I used to think I was one of the most honest people around...
Old 05-21-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Getting honest with yourself is the only thing that truly matters.

As for insomnia, we are not allowed to speak of anything other than advising you to speak with your physician. Personally, when I cant sleep, I use natural remedies that are none addictive. Its my choice. I dont need a doctor for it and I am not abusing it. My goal is to obtain abstinence from alcohol.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weev,
not only are sleeping pills addictive, many people abuse them.

Agreed, sleep will even out usually will even out eventuall. If you find you need some help, there are lots of natural remedies to implement into your daily routine.

One things I do know, lingering insomnia can have a huge impact on mental, emotional, and physical health. If you are really struggling, talk to your doctor. You also don't want insomianthat's sticking with you to push you to relapse out of desperation.

PLEASE be honest with your doctor. There are other alternatives to zopiclone to help you sleep. I do take it, and I don't abuse it. I also Stop taking it when I feel I don't need to. I have never experienced withdarawals but it's probably different for everyone.
My dr knows of my alcoholism and we have worked very closely together to find the right combination of meds for me. A sleep aid is only a small part of the bigger picture for me, it has it's place and it's time. And I keep being honest with my doctor because I want to get better, not worse.

And it does get better A pill is never a magic cure. You want an overall plan to get and keep yourself on a good, healthy path.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Only a few prescription sleeping pills can be habit forming, and there are numerous over the counter option available. If it's a problem, you can always call your docs office and speak to the nurse about it, or perhaps the local pharmacist until your appointment.
If you do go that route, be sure to read the labels first as some contain alcohol. Either way, be completely honest with your doc about your drinking issues. Lying about it any more will just make the issues a million times worse.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope your sleep improves soon Weeve. I know it sucks! Like you, I was wondering when I'd begin getting the great sleep everyone kept talking about on here. Eventually it DID come...just need to be patient with all of this.

Be well!
Old 05-21-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm dealing with insomnia too Weev - I'm staying off Dr Google,and I'm just going to be honest and open with my doctor and see what they suggest.

D
Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm dealing with insomnia too Weev - I'm staying off Dr Google,and I'm just going to be honest and open with my doctor and see what they suggest.

D
DrGoogle made me laugh!
Dearest, kindest Dee, I'm almost too embarrassed to write this but I had a perfect nights sleep last night. I hope your insomnia fixes itself.

If that's the best idea my thinking can come up with, I need you guys more than ever. ThInks: Zopiclone just the thing. Ignores tiny voice going It's addictive.

Got 17 days today. Exercised. Walking dog. Talked to someone in AA. Ate healthily. Talked out to the universe. Started reading an AA book. Will call sponsor later. Meeting tonight. Talked about problems with self-centredness with a friend. Lots of recovery stuff. If there's anything missing let me know!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you slept Weev - wish me luck

D
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you slept Weev - wish me luck

D
All the peace in the world to you, man on the other side of the world. Sleep like an angel zzzzz
Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I lie to myself and am just learning to catch myself at it. And I used to think I was one of the most honest people around...
There's some great insight there Weev. That's going to stand you in good stead.

I've come to believe that truth is one of the most important realisations in this sober journey. Catch your thoughts. Always be honest with yourself.

Many people wouldn't know how. Many people just lie out of habit, it's pointless.

I hope you're well.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I hope you're well too, Tuf, I always wonder since you helped early on.

About to go into doc's so fighting urge to get those pills. I'll have really bad insomnia when I run out of them.

I'm doing well. I have a little proud feeling inside me and I think I'm in recovery. *****! Don't want to say for sure though in case I jinx it. Meeting tonight. Charlie and Jo making a lot of sense, can't stop listening to the CD.

Big job tho, thought of changing. W
Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

About to go into doc's so fighting urge to get those pills. I'll have really bad insomnia when I run out of them.

Hey Weev- So you decided to go with the sleeping pills?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hey CT. Nope. I have no prescription for pills. Apparently, I'm running a high temperature. There is a flu going round. I've never been so happy to be ill. I thought it was withdrawal come back. Boy, am I a lunkhead. I said I'd stopped drinking and am going for liver test. Sorry, that's all jumbled up but I'm so proud of myself.
Hope you're strong and happy Bud.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey CT. Nope. I have no prescription for pills. Apparently, I'm running a high temperature. There is a flu going round. I've never been so happy to be ill. I thought it was withdrawal come back. Boy, am I a lunkhead. I said I'd stopped drinking and am going for liver test. Sorry, that's all jumbled up but I'm so proud of myself.
Hope you're strong and happy Bud.
Ahh..ok. Sorry you're no feeling well Weev. You made me laugh when you used the term "Lunkhead"...you're not a LH! lol. I'm proud of you too...really good work!

Hope you feel better soon and your tests turn out o.k. Take care of yourself!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I'm glad now that I don't have sleeping pills.
I thought in the meeting, that the little growing feeling I have in my gut is like a jewel inside me. It belongs to me. I don't want that mix of pride and hope and light (and possibly other things I can't name) to go away with drinking. It feels really good even if the anxiety and worries and urges are much bigger at the moment.
Spect I'll be keeping Dee and all you other insomniacs company tonight. Alternatively, let's hope we all sleep peacefully safe in our own beds tonight. I love my pillow.