Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT: Can you recommend an online support group for emotional abuse recovery?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi friends... bc I think this forum is so helpful and awesome, I wondered if any of you wonderful people could recommend an online support forum for those recovering from severe emotional abuse? It's actually for the significant other bc the victim is already seeing a therapist. But the SO needs to learn about it and get support and learn how best to support his wife (the victim from an abusive previous marriage). He's future-tripping right now and thinks his marriage is blowing apart bc all her issues (PTSD I believe) have started bubbling to the surface and she doesn't know if she wants to stay in the marriage or not. Any recommendations would be very appreciated!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The closest analogy I can think of would be something for family members of rape victims. It's not exactly the same, but it's similar enough (extreme trauma affecting a loved one). I'd suggest contacting your local rape crisis center and telling them what the situation is and see if they know of anything for family members that would welcome someone dealing with something other than actual sexual violence.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Lexie!!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other idea, too--try contacting your local prosecutor's office victim-witness unit. The advocates there have a lot of resources for people dealing with all kinds of victimization. Even if there's not an active criminal case, I'm sure they would be happy to provide you with some ideas.