Notices

I look back on this week and a question.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I look back on this week and a question.

TL/DR version: Thank you for all the love. Are there any sober writing communities you can recommend?

I want to thank everyone who is part of this community. I have never seen people be so caring and supportive of all these gentle new seedlings.

I am thinking about the song by The Mountain Goats called "Pale Green Things." "Cracking asphalt underfoot, coming up through the cracks, pale green things, pale green things." The narrator relives the one sweet memory he has of his alcoholic step-father. That of going to the horse races early in the morning. He mentions the pale green things growing among the crumbling asphalt. I have always taken it as a metaphor for the delicate and young nature of a child with a troubled home life.

All of us were pale green things at one point in time, lonely and frightened, delicate, green. It is the why when we ask ourselves, "What is wrong with me?"

Last week I got trashed drinking almost a half liter of vodka in 90 minutes. Then, I drove the last mile to get home. I don't remember getting home. I hit something with the mirror of my car. I already knew I had a problem and was getting help. But, that moment was a turning point for me. If I continued on this path I would end up alone, jobless, or worse, dead.

I found this group of people online and I have been so impressed with the depth of compassion for absolute strangers. The caretaking and daily watering of seedlings looking for shelter from the cold. I am looking at you Anna, D, SW... etc...

This brings me to the question portion:

Are there any online recovery writing groups that you can recommend? I have been reliving some formative moments from my life through writing them in prose form. To go back and relive my thoughts and feelings about days that I will never forget has been cathartic and transformational. But, I would like to get some feedback from others. Also, I wrote a book that very much deals with the struggles that I have gone through and could use the insight of a community that understands.

Thank you in advance. Much love <3.

SiSA
Old 05-12-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the social groups, towards the bottom.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are ready to make sobriety work for you.

You might check out Goodreads where you can get lots of feedback for any books. There are also many community groups there.