Notices

Noch Ein

Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Noch Ein

I realized my user name will probably be misinterpreted as "no chin", lol. My chin is fine.

Noch Ein means "another", or "one more" in German. I guess I'm using that as a reminder: I do not want one more ... because I always want one more.

I'm not a huge user and I really never have been. 99% of the time when I "drink", I mean I have one glass of wine with dinner. But there are two issues. 1. I'm a depressive person to begin with and even if I don't technically have a hangover, I don't think that alcohol does my next-day mood any favors, and 2. about 1% of the time, I wind up doing really stupid ****. Like, one glass of wine is good, but washing down a couple of vicodin with another glass would be better, right? A couple of months ago I had the muddy realization that this is how people overdose and die. One of these, then one of those, and another glass of wine to wash it all down, and then maybe just one more of the yellow ones, oh heck three came out of the bottle so ok, three ...

I'm really lucky that I have so rarely gotten sucked into the vortex of "noch ein" and wound up wreaking havoc on my life (or anyone else's), I usually just go to bed, but deciding to skip all mood altering substances was eye-opening ... I really miss them. I didn't think I would, but I do.

Right now I'm visiting my mom. We lost my Dad last year and Mom has been in the hospital with cancer for about a month, she came home last week, I found out I'm the victim of identity theft yesterday, and I need a drink.

I'm not going to have a drink.

I'm going to go read about how all you good people are doing on your own quests, and thank you very very much for sharing, caring (and distracting).
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nochein

I think you'll find this a very supportive and useful place to be

D
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! ( I tried welcoming you by name, but my autocorrect wants to call you Nicholas einstein ). You're making a wise decision.

My drinking & use of painkillers wasn't too dramatic either -- but the act of quitting brought into focus just how strong my attachment to substances was. It makes me very glad I quit when I did.

Read around and post -- glad you're here.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I recognized the language but didn't remember enough high school German to know what it meant.

I'm glad you joined us. There's lots of support and wisdom here.