Notices

Ok so i did something dumb, i drank...

Old 05-11-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok so i did something dumb, i drank...

Ok i was doing so well, i was at 110 days sober and i went and drank, and smoked. The good news is this was 2 weeks ago and i haven't drunk since, but damn... im so annoyed.

Does anyone know if ive got to start from square 1 again in terms of the mental and physical health?

Someone on here kindly sent me a link to flare up periods and how studies were done on drug and alcohol abusers when they entered a coma. It showed that a 30, 60 90 and 100 days there was a spike in chemicals that made you want to drink again. Does anyone know if ive put myself back to square because of drinking again?

I'll deal with it, but i really dont want to have destroyed everything in one stupid moment.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know those answers, but I'm glad it was a one time deal and not a long old bender. Stay with it!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have reignited that buzz feeling from alcohol, which can set the cravings in again. The longer we stay away from the initial euphoria produced from alcohol, the easier the cravings become.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
You have reignited that buzz feeling from alcohol, which can set the cravings in again. The longer we stay away from the initial euphoria produced from alcohol, the easier the cravings become.
Yeah thanks for saying that. I think thats basically the top and bottom of it isnt it? I just feel a bit stupid because i drank and i feel a lot 'closer' to the booze because i drank recently.

Ok well i cant cry over spilled milk... Its done, i cant change that. I can only change today and how i conduct myself going forward.

But yes, its been harder again to not drink but i have the same levels of resolve as before. Sorry i let you all (and myself) down here.

Time to move forward again.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Reformation View Post
Does anyone know if ive put myself back to square because of drinking again?
I'm wondering if unconsciously (or not so unconsciously) the unfinished part of your question is:

"Because if I am back at square 1, I might as well drink..."

Don't let a tiny relapse, call it a slip, turn into a return to the abyss of drinking.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be very careful Reformation. I drank once after being sober for 11 months. At first I thought I would be OK, in fact...I thought I might just be able to drink again because it was easy for me to put it down immediately after I drank. Slowly but surely it crept up on me and I was right back at it.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm wondering if unconsciously (or not so unconsciously) the unfinished part of your question is:

"Because if I am back at square 1, I might as well drink..."

Don't let a tiny relapse, call it a slip, turn into a return to the abyss of drinking.
Yeah it did kinda sound like that didnt it? Hmm! You're right though, i wont let this turn into another decent into the problems of before.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Be very careful Reformation. I drank once after being sober for 11 months. At first I thought I would be OK, in fact...I thought I might just be able to drink again because it was easy for me to put it down immediately after I drank. Slowly but surely it crept up on me and I was right back at it.
Thanks for commenting. And you make a very good point, it feels like its all ok. I couldn't drink a third of what i did before and i was finished much earlier. I smoked about 5 million cigarettes though...

I'm not going to lie, part of my brain has been saying that im all better now. I can drink 'normally' again. But i cant, i still drank until i was blind drunk, i just couldnt handle as much as before, because ive not touched it in over 3 months.

As has been said, i need to be very careful i think.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do not know- Dr Google info is crap sometimes- if you are concerned- please see a doctor. SUPPORT TO YOU
Old 05-11-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those flare up periods come from Terence Gorski I think. Never heard the coma patient angle before tho

Ref, all I can tell you is I've passed all those periods and I'm still sober

'Flare up of chemicals' or not , we're not puppets...we can stay sober

Make yourself a good recovery plan - for the good times as wel as the bad. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a deprivation or a chore.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

If you find yourself in trouble, come here or access whatever other support you have before you drink.

You'll get back every bit of effort you put in - I promise

D
Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Those flare up periods come from Terence Gorski I think. Never heard the coma patient angle before tho

Ref, all I can tell you is I've passed all those periods and I'm still sober

'Flare up of chemicals' or not , we're not puppets...we can stay sober

Make yourself a good recovery plan - for the good times as wel as the bad. Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a deprivation or a chore.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

If you find yourself in trouble, come here or access whatever other support you have before you drink.

You'll get back every bit of effort you put in - I promise

D
Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Reform,

Those flare ups, to blind drunk, are when us alkys get into trouble.

A gal at my AA meetings killed herself during a flare up. I think Robin Williams did as well.

Try to remember that.....and if you start to slip again..... don't beat yourself up too bad during the binge.

Remember....110 days w 1 slip is pretty awesome.

Fear booze. It is not to be toyed w. It is a killer.

Don't believe the hype. Dont believe tv.

Chasing that euphoria, once drunk, is what we alky.s do.

That is why we get soooo drunk.

Most normies stop at 1 or 2. Drinking 1 or 2 drinks is a joke to us alkys. What is the point?

Make a plan and stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I "tested" having a beer after nine months sober.

All that happened was exactly what anyone who has drunk to excess would expect to happen - I quickly went to drinking beer on a regular basis and after four days straight I realised my folly.

I've stopped again and I don't have anywhere near the same levels of craving or screaming AV that I had a year ago, but still, it would have been better if I hadn't done it.

You're not back at square one because you've made massive strides forward.

I just had to find out for myself if I really had a problem with drink. And I do. That knowledge is taking me forward with more resolution to not drink than I had when I quit last time.

Don't beat yourself up over the lapse. All non-drinking days count towards making your life a better one.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post

I just had to find out for myself if I really had a problem with drink. And I do.
That's how I felt the first time I relapsed...just needed to see for myself if I had a problem.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Reformation,

I just recently had 120 days and drank, 3 times over the course of 8 days. Its been 5 days since I drank. At first I was wondering the same things as you, but I already feel much stronger than I did at 5 days the last time I quit. And I learned a few things. There is no fixing this, I can't drink. And I loved my sober time, its not that hard and it's way better than being a drunk and hungover mess. The 4 months I let my body heal must have done some good, right? So no matter what I am in a better place than I was 4.5 months ago. When I get to a year I will look back and say... I quit drinking a year ago with a slip 4 months in. And I'll be proud of myself and feel great. I hope you join me
Old 05-12-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think for me subconsciencely i romanticize "anniversary" milestones. No doubt it is nice to celebrate those days but in actuallity it is just another day. I try not to get caught up too much with the milestone days because day milestone + 1 day could lead to a let down and maybe a case of the f-its. This is a cunning disease we have. I'm on day 89 right now and it's Friday so no doubt i've had cravings today. They pass though. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
Hi Reformation,

I just recently had 120 days and drank, 3 times over the course of 8 days. Its been 5 days since I drank. At first I was wondering the same things as you, but I already feel much stronger than I did at 5 days the last time I quit. And I learned a few things. There is no fixing this, I can't drink. And I loved my sober time, its not that hard and it's way better than being a drunk and hungover mess. The 4 months I let my body heal must have done some good, right? So no matter what I am in a better place than I was 4.5 months ago. When I get to a year I will look back and say... I quit drinking a year ago with a slip 4 months in. And I'll be proud of myself and feel great. I hope you join me
Yeah thanks, ive been sober and not drank for the last 2 weeks, friday has come and gone and tonight (Saturday) will be a breeze.

Thanks for the uplifting message, i appreciate it! And you're right, i can look back and say it was a blip. The important thing is to not drink again.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad you came right back here and posted, keep racking up that sober time!!