Notices

New here

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

This is my first time posting on here.
I'm reaching out today because I know I need help.
To start off, I started drinking in high school and was raised by an alcoholic. I dropped out when I was fifteen and started getting into a lot of trouble and dabbling with drugs.
When I got into the restaurant business my drinking really skyrocketed. I have to fight myself not to have a drink and usually give up by the end of my shift. Drinking every day is pretty normalised in the restaurant business but it's seriously ruining my life.
I have told my boyfriend and friends that I am going to quit so many times that it just sounds like a big joke now.
I'm worried that my boyfriend will leave me if I don't get this under control.
I've tried counselling and I've tried taking antabuse but I somehow always end up convincing myself that this time will be better and that I have everything under control. I always go back to drinking.
I'm really freaked out. Am I ever going to get better?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, you're here and that's a great start. Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of similarities in our drinking. I thought I was hopeless. I finally started AA and an addiction therapist. I think that's when I knew I was all in.

There's so much help here. You can do it.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!!!

Originally Posted by lmeg View Post
I somehow always end up convincing myself that this time will be better
Of all the lies my addiction ever told me, I think I liked this one most. I certainly fell for it enough times. Hundreds, maybe thousands.

Once I realized it was never going to be better. It was never going to be different - that the addicted part of my brain was lying to me - I was able to move on.

You can do this.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some years ago, it was my first time posting on here.

I was reaching out because I knew I needed help.

To start off, I started drinking in high school and was raised by an alcoholic.

I dropped out when I was seventeen and started getting into a lot of trouble and had been dabbling with drugs and drinking since I was 14.

When I got into college and then the military, my drinking really skyrocketed.

I often had to fight myself not to have a drink and usually gave up by the end of my the day.

Drinking every day is pretty normalised in the IT business but it was seriously ruining my life.

I have told my former wives and friends that I am going to quit so many times that it just sounded like a lie or a joke.

I secretly tried and failed to quit over and over.

I'm worried my life would end if I didn't get this under control.

I tried counselling and moderation and AA but I somehow always ended up convincing myself that this time will be better and that I have everything under control. I always went back to drinking.

At one point I was really freaked out... was I ever going to get better???

THEN I MADE A CHOICE.

I CHOSE TO EMBRACE SOBRIETY.

THEN I TOOK ACTION.

I ACTED EVERY DAY WITH SMALL AND LARGE ACTIONS IN SUPPORT OF THAT CHOICE.

I am over 3 years sober and living a great life.

You can, too.

I was once right where you are.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. There's a wealth of knowledge and support here.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and yes, it will get better when you accept that you can never drink again, ever, no matter what. Then you can begin your journey of recovery and have the life you want to have. I'm glad you found us, and know for sure that you can do this!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! As a newly sober person, 23 days today, I can say you're in a really supportive place. Stick around, read, post and tackle this. I too never thought I could get better at times and just became so sick of myself and the sober/binge routine that decided to make myself better no matter how hard. And I slowly am. We can do this
Old 05-10-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You've definitely come to the right place for support. Sounds like you are just realizing that drinking has become a serious problem for you. Everybody here has been there and knows what you are going through, so stay close to SR. The support and advice will amaze you. John
Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support and the information here can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Imeg

I used to despair I'd never get better too - but alcohol was still in my life - heck, alcohol was my life...

To really get better that had to change - I had to get rid of alcohol in my life.

It's a big ask, a little scary and not much fun at the beginning..but it gets better - and there's support here 24/7 to help you through

No one would stay sober if they thought they had lost on the deal - I love sober me and I love sober life.

I hope you'll find the same for yourself

D
Old 05-10-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Imeg - it's great to meet you. I drank for 30 yrs. & have been sober almost 10 - so yes, you can definitely do this & it will get better.

Talking things over here is what made the difference for me. I was no longer alone - and everyone understood. I hope you'll keep reading & posting. We care.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Imeg..stuff CAN get better, WILL get better if you work at it. Just hoping, doing stuff in the same way, wishing- don't mean much without results.
AA/SMART/Counselling/Doc/SR- you need to work at it.
Empathy and support to you.
PJ
Old 05-10-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome, Imeg!

Please stick around, read and post -- you'll find tons of people who have gotten sober with lots of ideas for help.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi
Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Imeg-

Not sure how old you are, but I think we come from similar backgrounds. My parents were both also functioning alcoholics, then immediately after high school I started in the restaurant business, bartended many years all the way up until I was nearly 30 (in my 20s it was a side job, but still a situation where alcohol every day was a normalized behavior).

My brother, 6 years younger than me, was obviously raised by the same parents, and also entered into the restaurant business/bartended his way through college. About a year ago he told me, very timidly, (at the age of 23), "I drink almost every day...I never knew that wasn't normal, but I don't know many other people who do this."

I think the combo of both of us coming from a family of alcoholics and then entering into the restaurant business (I totally get it, you're a complete saint if you're not doing hard drugs in restaurants...weed, alcohol, even cocaine on a daily basis is par for the course in that environement) coupled with our genetics just led us to a point where we never learned what normal was.

The best thing I ever did was just get out of that environment. I'm still very close to my parents but they moved away from my hometown, so I don't have to be over there for weekly dinners while everyone is getting sloshed. And everyone I worked with in the restaurant business gives each other a hard time for not drinking, let alone deciding you're ready to quit.

Of course, leaving the restaurant business, especially if you're a server or bartender, is so difficult because the money just can't compare to what you'd make elsewhere. Maybe a higher end restaurant, or heck, even a breakfast place would be a good idea?

((hugs))
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, i'm new to SR so don't have a huge amount to share. I'm just trying to log on every day, comment and learn from from all these people. Today is day six.
I've got a stressful few days coming up so what i'm doing is imagining being offered alcohol and practising my refusal, over and over again in my head. Also reminding myself why i'm saying no, even to one glass of bubbly to toast.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things Imeg?

D