Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

To-go disguised "wine cups" (preying on women's increased intake)

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ITS WINE O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE ″...THE CLASSIEST SIPPY CUPS EVER.″

I guess I'm not klassy enough, as I used to take my pints to go in my purse or bag or whatever. Well, I could have been using this portable wine cup that disguises the fact that you are drinking wine while grocery shopping.

Aside from the fact that this is a recovery forum, the ethics of this seem distasteful and questionable. We all know alcoholics will find a way to bring their fix with them, but this, to me, borders on perhaps illegal? In most places, you cannot drink alcohol in the street or as you are walking your baby, etc. Of course, you can't use them when driving, etc.

This ad/contraption seems in very poor taste and seems to be preying on the uptake in women's consumption "in sippy cups." Here ladies: here's a legit way to disguise your alcohol and now you don't have to limit yourselves to sippy cups in the kitchen, but you can take it to the park or wherever.

I don't know. It just makes me angry.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ha. They're $24! Seems like overkill.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to remove the link because it's commercial, and it's kinda triggery here in a newcomers forum.

For those in the dark, it's basically a wine glass in a sippy cup take anywhere type deal for wine.

D
Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't read the rules!

Believe me, it's not my product

But yeah, it's so that you can walk around drinking it (and, as far as I know, local ordinance prohibit alcohol in most public sectors, parks, walking in the street, etc.)

I wish I could find the feature story/ad and read the comments on it. This was being shared on FB like it was the greatest thing. Just use a flask already.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Coffee to go mugs, pop and water bottles and I bought a gag thing of empty suntan bottles to take to the beach you could fill up. But they said what they were on the outside.
Eventually I didn't much care what container they were in.
There is also a bag on the market aimed towards towards women who like wine and don't mind drinking it out of the box. I don't remember the details of it but I think it could hold the same amount as a box of wine, perfect for beach, golfing, kids or grandkids games etc.

People are gonna drink no matter what. It is unfortunate that there are products that persuade not only kind of an inappropriate drinking culture, but more importantly drinking around kids teaching them on the sly and driving after.
Just generalizing. This stuff happens regardless of the toys and tools out there. Good to be informed tho. Another thing to watch out for.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I can tell from a mile away when someone is drinking alcohol, and my guess is most people can too, so this looks more like self-deception than anything else.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Coffee to go mugs, pop and water bottles and I bought a gag thing of empty suntan bottles to take to the beach you could fill up. But they said what they were on the outside.
Eventually I didn't much care what container they were in.
There is also a bag on the market aimed towards towards women who like wine and don't mind drinking it out of the box. I don't remember the details of it but I think it could hold the same amount as a box of wine, perfect for beach, golfing, kids or grandkids games etc.

People are gonna drink no matter what. It is unfortunate that there are products that persuade not only kind of an inappropriate drinking culture, but more importantly drinking around kids teaching them on the sly and driving after.
Just generalizing. This stuff happens regardless of the toys and tools out there. Good to be informed tho. Another thing to watch out for.
I had all kinds of tricks, too. The suntan bottle is one of the more unique ones I've read about!

I guess my most creative (not really creative, but desperate), but I used to put vodka in my coffee so no one would want a sip (I'd been busted that way before and jerked my "water" back and lied and said I had a cold sore. No one believed me and it created more distrust).

worse was my two-water-bottle gig. It's kind of hard to chug vodka on road trips (passenger seat) and I "needed" it by that point and couldn't pretend to go to the rest stop every hour without looking like I'd aged 30 years in 1 day. So, I had two. Even though my husband never drinks plain water (fizzy), I couldn't risk him asking so I kept two identical bottles in my backpack at my feet. Problem was, I'd had to drink quickly and replace it to the floor to make the switch instead of just handing it over.

geez. the troubles I went through. One time, he asked quickly and there was no reason to put the bottle to the floor other than pretending I didn't hear him, but that was better than handing him a smart water bottle filled with vodka. So, I put it on the floor, grabbed what I thought was the real water, and panicked because I was flustered and really didn't have a clue which I grabbed. Turned out, I made the "right" call. Idiocy.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lol. There's this one FB page that makes fun of all this stuff, and the best one is the guy covertly drinking the audience.

I can't tell if people are drinking even though I've been there. I can tell the obvious ones or the people who've shown up with coke colored water in spirit bottles. that's really obvious. you think they'd just buy a bottle of coke if they are drinking darker liquids.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now I remember, the guy was drinking out of binoculars!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

from the manufacturer:

This is the solve all solution for concealed alcohol on the go, weather you are going to a concert, sporting event, ceremony or the track, indoor or outdoors. Nobody will ever think that these authentic looking binoculars holds 16 oz. or you favorite hooch.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think we really fool people, the smell of vodka (or any alcohol) is pretty over-powering. I think people try to trip us up once they know, hoping we'll be embarrassed or at least get honest. Like the husband with the water bottle.

I've been around several people who drink in situations that they really shouldn't, and people know. They just choose not to be confrontational about it.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've seen these things on facebook. Or flasks, cleverly disguised as bracelets. Bras filled with booze? Alcoholics will use whatever they need to have access to alcohol. These products are marketed to the people who get an adrenaline thrill by being slightly naughty. Much like me as a teenager sneaking rum into concerts in a contact lens solution bottle. One tiny bottle split between five or more of us. I was enervated by the thrill. By the time I needed to drink, I wasn't going anywhere. No road trips for me.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about stuff like that. Or the hangover afterwards. After I got sober I attended a parade and rally at a local park for the beginning of little league baseball. It was the day after some big neighborhood fundraiser which involved a lot of drinking. Most of the moms at the parade and rally were wearing dark sunglasses and moving pretty darn slowly with their hangovers. I was glad I didn't have one.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bim, you're right about the smell of alcohol. Just recently I was at an AA meeting and a woman said she'd been sober two years. I took that with a grain of salt because I had just seen her a month prior at her sister's funeral mass and she was LIT UP. My sense of smell is very poor but I could smell the alcohol wafting off her from five feet away.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hahaha, binoculars!

Ng, I had a trip where I had similar experience to your water bottle. I had to hide and sneak to keep from going into withdrawals on a very long road trilp.Shameful. fortunately I wasn't the driver that trip.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Bim, you're right about the smell of alcohol. Just recently I was at an AA meeting and a woman said she'd been sober two years. I took that with a grain of salt because I had just seen her a month prior at her sister's funeral mass and she was LIT UP. My sense of smell is very poor but I could smell the alcohol wafting off her from five feet away.
It doesn't make any sense to me to lie about it at an AA meeting, I mean that's where you go to get well.

I know there were lots of still-drinking but saying they were sober people in the rooms when I went. Seems like such a sad commentary that they are going voluntarily and yet lying to themselves. I don't get it.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
I can tell from a mile away when someone is drinking alcohol, and my guess is most people can too, so this looks more like self-deception than anything else.
I'm of the mind that "it takes one to know one." Unless someone is also an alcoholic, I don't think your average ("normal") drinker can tell when someone is drinking alcohol under disguised circumstances. Us alcoholics are very crafty and skilled when it comes to hiding alcohol - normal drinkers don't catch on because they've never done it.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
I'm of the mind that "it takes one to know one." Unless someone is also an alcoholic, I don't think your average ("normal") drinker can tell when someone is drinking alcohol under disguised circumstances. Us alcoholics are very crafty and skilled when it comes to hiding alcohol - normal drinkers don't catch on because they've never done it.
I think you are right. I spent most of my days drinking, over the last year and I only was called out twice(once by a fellow drinker and once by my mother who was married to a drinker). I am sure there were others who simply didn't want to say anything, but most people just don't have it on their radar.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with all of this.

I often wonder about the smell of vodka and whether that's a myth or not--it's still widely perpetuated, even among intelligent people.

The only reason I ask is because it was my drink of choice. My husband (not supportive or gentle, at all) would have called me out in a heartbeat and I was near him at times, even kissed him a couple minutes after, etc. I did try to smuggle it in the house, talk in everyone's face, and then drink, but really, does vodka not smell on certain people? I am not trying to start a debate--just wondering.

And yes, even as a hardcore drinker, I would second guess myself now and then if I spotted anyone I was suspicious of, only because I think I might be transferring my own paranoia and desirous to manipulate people into thinking I was just drinking some suntan oil. Lol, not really, but I'd probably be imagining it and wishing that other people were in the same boat.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And, just an add-on. People who don't go through these lengths likely do not know. For example, my husband, in the earlier days, never would have thought twice (and didn't) about me not wanting him to hold my purse or to fish around in it for a pen. He just trusted me, and not naively. But, he's never went through amazing lengths to dupe people. so, yeah, I don't think the average person gives what many seem weird to some (or obvious to others) gives it a second thought. For example, I used to sip out of water bottles in places where that shouldn't have been happening, at all. I know for fact no one ever knew or suspected. I'm willing to admit there are many occasions when I look back that I realize people probably did know/perhaps knew. But, there are occasions where I know for certain no one knew. not a big deal either way, but I think many people don't even understand the lengths we go through (good for them).

And yes, I wasn't the driver (but, I did drink short distances drunk), but I did get myself into a jam on the very rare occasions my husband asked me to let him have a break. Luckily for me, he is the driver and gets motion sickness as the passenger so I was able to avoid that job really quickly. By then, though, I was drinking for maintenance, so I guess I wasn't totally trashed, but I never had to take over.