Notices

Day 3 sober

Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 sober

So I'm new here. A little something about me is movies are kind of my life. Might sound pathetic but i just love to sit back at nught after work and watch a good movie with some bourbon or some beers. In fact, my username is based off of a cheesy action movie from the 80s that is sort of my go-to movie when I've crossed that line from buzzed to good and drunk. Which has started to happen a lot more often lately. I'm a 27 year old male and have been drinking moderate to heavily (mostly the latter) for roughly 4.5 years. My drinking is opportunistic mostly and I usually start after work ends, which is around 8-9 Pm. I sell cars so the hours are long or erratic. It's weird because some nights I can put away a half a fifth of something plus a few beers, and other nights I might do 3 beers. But with the exception of the last 3 days, there is hardly ever a night where I don't have any alcohol. I don't know what it is about my drinking but it just seems to be an obsessive thought in my head about all things alcohol-related. Thinking about how much I have at home, how bloated I feel the next day, whether I'm damaging my health, etc etc. The good news is the last few nights I have had no alcohol with the exception of one beer last night and I have slept like a rock both nights. I guess I'm rambling but, I just wonder if anyone else has this weird obsession with alcohol where you think about alcohol all the time in some capacity and wonder why you can't stop. It's not that I can't stop drinking as much as it is i can't stop thinking about drinking. I would welcome any thoughts or responses.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Cobra,

I am an alcoholic. I did anything and everything to be with or around alcohol. I didn't think it was a weird obsession until I tried to stop. Then I realized I couldn't go without. Once I lost the obsession to drink and got spiritually fit. I lost the obsession to drink or think about booze. Not sure that's what you were looking for.

Keep posting and coming back you'll get many responses. they might not be the answers you're looking for though.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 3 days

heres a chip for ya

keep coming back

Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A user on here once commented on a post, "I think issues with alcohol are usually indicated by the amount of room alcohol takes up in our heads and less about the frequency of use." -- This rang true for me personally because I used count up how many drinks I've had (and not so I get to a magic number and stop) and I'd feel stressed beyond belief if there wasn't something in the fridge I could have. I didn't drink every night, but if there was nothing in the fridge then I wanted it SO badly. I haven't had a drink in 15 days and the mental relief that has happened is incredible. Hope to see you post again. Welcome!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This sounds similar to me, man. I'm 29 and also am on day 3 sober. I'm not the one to go out with friends and get plastered (well in college, yeah, but not now), I'd usually go out have a beer or two then when I got home, I'd put on a movie or Youtube and finish off a 6-pack or more. I started realizing this wasn't normal when I started to obsess over making it to the gas station before it closed at two when I was out with my friends. Then once I finished said beers, I'd obsess over more alcohol and would drink whatever was in my parents' house. Any wine, beer, liquor -- which I normally don't drink at all -- would be gone if it were in my vicinity.

I'm still new here myself so if you ever wanna talk or anything, I'd be up for it.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cobra, I can certainly identify with an obsession with alcohol - all day every day - the obsession can be broken tho, and I'm glad you're here.

How are you doing today?

D.