Notices

Day One

Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

I've done this before, I've been here before, I've told myself all those things before, but this time is different. This time I have to take some serious action to make changes.

I'm coming off a several day binge, probably one of the worst I've ever done. I think I'm going to lose my job over this one.

I told my girlfriend I have to stop drinking - I opened up to her 100% and told her what awful shape I'm in today. She's not thrilled, but she's so incredibly supportive and ready to help me through this. Seriously though, I know that she won't tolerate repeated slip-ups. If I relapse, I risk losing her, and I just can't do that.

I'm going to stay vigilant on this, and keep posting and checking in. I'm not big on AA, but I was thinking of looking into SMART recovery, I think it's called?

Wish me luck. Sober sober sober sober sober sober sober
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey M1983. I am in no position to offer guidance or advice at the moment but I wish you well on your journey. Stay strong.
SB
Old 05-05-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Matt...

Good luck! I know what you mean when you say "this time is different"...mean it! You can do this my friend!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Matthew, Welcome!

I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking and I hope things work out for you with your job.

Good luck with SMART!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Matt.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck buddy

Originally Posted by Matthew1983 View Post
I've done this before, I've been here before, I've told myself all those things before, but this time is different. This time I have to take some serious action to make changes.

I'm coming off a several day binge, probably one of the worst I've ever done. I think I'm going to lose my job over this one.

I told my girlfriend I have to stop drinking - I opened up to her 100% and told her what awful shape I'm in today. She's not thrilled, but she's so incredibly supportive and ready to help me through this. Seriously though, I know that she won't tolerate repeated slip-ups. If I relapse, I risk losing her, and I just can't do that.

I'm going to stay vigilant on this, and keep posting and checking in. I'm not big on AA, but I was thinking of looking into SMART recovery, I think it's called?

Wish me luck. Sober sober sober sober sober sober sober
Hey buddy I wish ya luck we all relapse it's part of getting better it's very hard I stoped drinking 15 years ago and I started stoped started it's so hard when I stoped the weed day 1 I drank myself to sleep believe me I hated myself but I'm trying again I wish ya all the best ....
Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. In regards to the job, even my girlfriend said "Hey, maybe this all happened for a reason."

It was a very stressful and unrewarding job that I've been very unhappy with for the past 2 years, but I grew complacent and got stuck in a rut. Partly due to getting drunk 5+ days a week.

It's really depressing when I think of how much alcohol I was actually consuming! But, what's done is done! I'm here, I'm still alive & kickin', and I'm ready to make changes. Thanks again all
Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Matthew
Here's to new beginnings
D
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish you all the best Matt. This is my day one (again) too. Like you, I know I need to stick to being sober, no matter what. I think if you're not into AA then SMART recovery and AVRT is a good choice.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Matthew. Things kept getting worse for me, too. Each time I lost control I put myself in danger & did reckless things. Being here to talk things over really helped with the anxiety. Congrats on your Day 1. You can do it!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Matthew,

I posted back on 1-1-16 that I felt things were different this time around, and they were. I have just over 16 months sober, and this site has been my greatest support.

Spend some time reading and posting each day. Join the May 2017 class to receive the support of others at the same point in your journey. Check in with us in the 24 hour club, it's a great group. Get outside help if you need it.

You can do this!!!

❤Delilah