Notices

I need a plan for tonight.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a plan for tonight.

So - it's Friday and I'm on day #12.

Last night after work I wanted a glass of wine or a beer. It was a stressful day. It was busy and a meeting that lasted an hour and a half at the end of the night revealed just how poorly the company is doing this year. When I got home, I verbally announced that I wanted a drink and talked it over with my boyfriend. It felt good to not hold it in and be honest.

Today he is out of the house for the day visiting some friends in Manhattan. Two weeks ago my normal Friday routine would be to already have wine chilling in the fridge. I would come home and pour a glass the second I got settled in for the evening. The drinking wouldn't stop until the bottle, no matter how large, was gone. Depending on the size (and if I wasn't blacking out yet) I'd move towards the hard liquors and beer.

My Friday night story is going to be different tonight. I don't have a plan per se, but I know I won't drink. If anything I plan on starting The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu when I get home. I'll do a little pampering.. tinkering around at my vanity and doing a face mask. Self care kind of evening to get me through.

Here's to handling day #12 like a boss and sliding into #13.

Hope you all are doing well.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love self-care days. Buy yourself a new color of OPI for your toenails while you're at it.

I like to go to the thrift stores, and I will spend a couple hours in search of who knows what. I usually have something in particular I need that I refuse to pay $50 for new, but that I'll gladly pay $4 for at the thrift store. Lots of brand new clothes, never-been-worn. Coffee makers, all kinds of things. There must be 15 thrift stores within a half hour from me. It's fun.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sliding into Day 13, fantastic!

I highly recommend 'The Handmaid's Tale'. The story is far more pertinent than it was when Margaret Atwood wrote the book in the eighties. The scenario is even more believable now, than it was then. And, Elizabeth Moss is absolutely awesome!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I like to go to the thrift stores, and I will spend a couple hours in search of who knows what. I usually have something in particular I need that I refuse to pay $50 for new, but that I'll gladly pay $4 for at the thrift store. Lots of brand new clothes, never-been-worn. Coffee makers, all kinds of things. There must be 15 thrift stores within a half hour from me. It's fun.
I adore thrifting. I don't have too many places by me, but I frequent the Goodwill and have found some awesome things. One of my proudest was an ice bucket for $1.50 lol I wasn't about to pay $30 for a new one! I had an inkling I could find it there and there it was! Thanks for the ideas!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Sliding into Day 13, fantastic!

I highly recommend 'The Handmaid's Tale'. The story is far more pertinent than it was when Margaret Atwood wrote the book in the eighties. The scenario is even more believable now, than it was then. And, Elizabeth Moss is absolutely awesome!
I just finished The Handmaid's Tale last night! It was the first book I picked up after months of putting it off. Drinking kind of got in the way of my reading. I'm one of those people who needs to start where the story originates from. And yes, I totally agree. Definitely more pertinent now! Can't wait to see how the show shapes up.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2/2016

Atwood is such a great writer. Oryx and Crake is an awesome trilogy as well. You are right Anna, E Moss rocks. Loved me some mad men. I may have to spring for Hulu. I heard you cannot binge watch though like Netflix. I think there are just 3 out of Handmaid's Tale.

Good luck on getting through. Can you walk around the block a bit after work first, don't just come home right way. Break up the routine a bit. Swing by Goodwill or the library on way home? breaking the habits was waay helpful to me.

As for the stress, at a year sober, I am starting to feel I have an unfair advantage over my co-workers that still drink. If your company is hurting, it will be better for you to be sharp and sober to remain flexible for whatever cones next.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting to thirteenth eve! Sounds like you have made a plan to me. Keeping busy all day really did the trick for me in the early days.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I don't know if you go to face to face meetings but it could be helpful to be around others who are similarly committed to being sober tonight.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Good to have a plan. I thought you might appreciate this, from the time I needed my own ritual for the end of the week.

photo-2.jpg
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love Margaret Attwood's books. She's a very charismatic lady to listen to speaking as well if you ever get the chance to go to one of her book events. I heard her speak recently about Hagseed, which was brilliant, and actually pretty funny and lighthearted in places for her. I laughed out loud quite a lot through that one. Handmaid tale is a dark old journey!

Re the plan, if yiu intend on eating later when you're relaxing, could I suggest a small snack to tide you over. Anything that you can do to dispel those HALT triggers in fact. Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired. They can spell disaster on an evening in. X
Old 05-05-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like that idea, Nikka.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkabean326 View Post
So - it's Friday and I'm on day #12.

Two weeks ago my normal Friday routine would be to already have wine chilling in the fridge. I would come home and pour a glass the second I got settled in for the evening. The drinking wouldn't stop until the bottle, no matter how large, was gone. Depending on the size (and if I wasn't blacking out yet) I'd move towards the hard liquors and beer.
...then wake up on Saturday morning hungover and not do a damb thing all day!

Sounds like you have a solid plan Nikki!

The more weekends I spend sober, the easier the next one is.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Self-care; great plan, Nikkabean.

Enjoy that facial mask; it always feels so rejuvenating, doesn't it!!!!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

P.S. - sobriety and recovery are hugely self-care.

Enjoy.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have a plan per se,
I really recommend working one out Nikka.

The longer you don't have one the greater the risk of being ambushed by a desire to drink.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D