Notices

Newcomer

Old 05-05-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hello,

I have just joined Sober Recovery, but I am not new to recovery. Unfortunately, it has not been easy and I seem to be struggling. I am 27 years old and never thought that I would be where I am today. Shame is definitely very much a part of my life. But I want to change that because it has really been holding me back in the last few years. I've been drinking since I was 14 and it has consumed my life. I look forward to reading what people have to say and getting involved with this community, but I can no longer suffer in silence!
Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I, too, started drinking at fourteen. Got sick as a dog, but knew I found my poison.
I would drink alcoholically for another thirty five years.
Oh, to be twenty seven. I had a blast. But I was a stone cold drunk, I just thought I was having fun. I missed things like college and marriage. Sure, there were lots of girls but they were all drunk or high, too.
I'm not going to say I wish I had those years back, because I don't. It's all booze under the bridge.

Forget the shame. You're young. You've still got a lot of (sober) living to do.
If I dwelled on some of the things I did at your age, I would be ashamed, too.
But I don't.
I take things in the now, one day at a time.
It took me a long time to get sober and I realized I had a problem at your age.
I would try and try for another twenty years to finally quit. I'm not ashamed of that. It is what it is.
I hope you can find sobriety, and believe me, you'll save yourself a lot of misery.

You'll find lots of support here, so stick around. I know where you're coming from. I've been there.
Best to you.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard CheeseLife

D
Old 05-05-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Cheeselife! Your feelings mirrored mine-I never thought that IŽd become sober but it consumed my life and was ruining it. There are more people in recovery than you think so just keep reaching out and youŽll find them.

Take care
Old 05-05-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, you are very smart to be giving yourself " the gift of sobriety" at your age. Believe me, the longer you remain sober the more you will realize that it is a gift.