Notices

Day one again

Old 05-04-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one again

Joined AA and got a sponsor. Having horrible withdrawals..So scared right now. That AA won't work out. Shaking all over.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nmd

Even if aa "doesn't work out" , you can choose to get sober if you pull out all the stops to get there. Rooting for you!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey sweetichick

I figured that I had to get sober if I wanted to live. Failure was not an option, and it's still not.

I firmly believe that if you do everything in your power not to drink - that includes reaching out for support when it's needed. and making whatever changes you need to make in your life to reflect your desire to be sober, you'll be sober, for good.

The results can be magical...but there's no magic to it - just hard work sweetichick.

D
Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Sweetichik:

I've been reading about your struggles here and I will share with you what works for me. I took drinking off the table. It is not an option at all - ever. I don't do one day at a time because for me that means there is an option of future drinking. I made the decision to quit drinking and never change my mind - no matter what. I have no plans what-so-ever for future drinking.

It is a simple plan but that doesn't mean it's easy. I ate a lot of sweet things (still do), binge watch Netflix, read and lose myself down various internet sites, walk my dogs - but I also got involved in things within my community that were not alcohol centric.

I have plenty of boring times and plenty of stressful situations but the one thing that remains constant in my life is that I never turn to alcohol for comfort - never. That is not an option. I may eat an entire cake or something silly like that, but alcohol is permanently banished.

When the thought of taking a drink crosses my mind, I just say to myself - you don't drink and the thought goes away because it's not an option. There is no bargaining.

CF
Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're back and starting again, sweeti. Let us know how your day goes- you can do this!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Joined AA and got a sponsor. Having horrible withdrawals..So scared right now. That AA won't work out. Shaking all over.

i wasn't sure if AA would help either. i had heard at meetings to give it 90 days. if i wasn't happy with the results, the misery would be refunded at the door.
that sounded like a deal to me.
i went to meetings, read the big book, prayed life crazy( didn't even know what it was i was praying to, just not me and something out there that could help), started doing what the bb said, and repeated those actions.
at 90 days something was different in me. i wasn't sure exactly what at the time, but now i can see it was i wasn't as miserable- progress!
then it occurred to me- i drank for about 23 years, yet was only going to give AA a 90 day chance? i decided to give AA 23 years before deciding if i liked it or not.
i have 11 more years before i decide, but so far its been a blessing.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SC - AA won't "work out" in the way you seem to want it to. recovery involves real WORK on YOUR part. not just attending 1 or 2 meetings. you are not allowing yourself to even get close to experiencing sobriety yet. you still want the quick fix to make it all go away.

when i first joined AA back in 1987 they made it real simple for me:

1. Don't Drink
2. Go to meetings and don't drink in between
3. Follow Directions

and the directions are:

1. Don't Drink
2. Go to meetings and don't drink in between
3. Follow Directions

drinking is not a solution. it's a death wish. it is really MUCH easier to STAY sober, than it is to keep swearing off every few days, then succumbing to drinking again, all the while getting sicker and sicker.

you definitely qualify for long term inpatient treatment. and i can't think of one good reason why you would not consider it. can you?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you have reached out locally Sweetichick. I hope you can find the strength to keep going and listen to what they have to say. At the end of the day you are the one that has to do the work...it's not just going to "work itself out".
Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I quit for good I found I was more capable than I ever knew sweetichick - I'm sure you'll find that too

D
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

'sup sweetichick?