Notices

I'm the only one (not)

Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I'm the only one (not)

Day 8 here yay!

One thing I learned from reading many threads is that I have to give up thinking "I'm different than all the other people" who relapse after 1 drink.

I -or we -forget that it's nearly impossible to do that, if you are an addict.

I have learned in my last 8 days here, that I'm not the only one who thought that they could be a social, normal drinker. But now I see that can never be, at least for me.

Thanks SR for giving me a community of people going thru the same thing. I hope we can learn from each other!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup,

I came to the exact same conclusion.

The AV get power over you when you start thinking things like "I am the only one like this". When IT is out in the open is loses strength.

I read something in a post I think to myself now in then. I do not drink very well".

Congrats on 8 days !! I am one day behind you, stay in the lead

PM
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

2 phrases I learned here and like:

1 is too many and 1000 is never enough

And

Don't poke the bear!

Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on 8 days Shitzupuppy!

When I first got sober I really envied 'normal' drinkers for their mysterious super powers. How could they drink so slowly and stop drinking before they fell over? How did they do it? Strange thing is, I don't envy them anymore. I like the certainly that comes with being alcoholic. I know I can't drink. I know that if I have one drink I'll have to have another and another and another. And I know it won't end well because it never does. So I know, without any shadow of a doubt that I can never have that first drink.

I went out with some normal drinkers the other night and had a great time. Enjoyed myself just as much as they did and was able to drive them all home at the end of the night. But you know what's really interesting? Since that night a few of these normal drinkers have called me to ask whether they came across as too loud/too quiet/ too happy/ too distant/ too self-obsessed etc etc. For the record, all of them behaved impeccably and didn't even seem drunk. But it appears our good friend alcohol can even play with the minds of the normal drinkers; the ones who can supposedly handle it.

I don't want that confusion and self doubt in my life; not on any level. From now on if I'm too loud/too quiet/ too whatever it's because I'm too loud/too quiet/too whatever... not because I'm being controlled by some stupid drug. Well done again
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My AV's favorite lie: Next time will be different.

Or maybe it was MY favorite lie to hear, because after 500 times of it NOT being different there I was ready try again for number 501.

Congrats on 8 days! Keep it going!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 days.

For me, it has become an underlying assumption for my life that I don't drink. And that's fine- I am a non-drinker, I have my reasons why (alcoholism) and I have a wonderful full life in sobriety where I do not question this realty because I accepted it.

Keep going!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
Day 8 here yay!

One thing I learned from reading many threads is that I have to give up thinking "I'm different than all the other people" who relapse after 1 drink.

I -or we -forget that it's nearly impossible to do that, if you are an addict.

I have learned in my last 8 days here, that I'm not the only one who thought that they could be a social, normal drinker. But now I see that can never be, at least for me.

Thanks SR for giving me a community of people going thru the same thing. I hope we can learn from each other!
I totally agree with you! I can't tell you how many posts I've read here on SR that could have been written by me verbatim. No "special snowflake" thinking for me!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great job on 8 days.

For me, it has become an underlying assumption for my life that I don't drink. And that's fine- I am a non-drinker, I have my reasons why (alcoholism) and I have a wonderful full life in sobriety where I do not question this realty because I accepted it.

Keep going!
Nicely put! I admire your courage, August.